Juicy 5 Problems

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Juicy 5 Problems
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 20:34 Quote
hey i posted a little guide that might help you....
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=80516

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 8:56 Quote
hello all, i did have a look around before deciding to post here, but didnt find anything helpful, so here goes...

2007 possible 08 juicy 5....fitted new pads....now the pads are super tight to the rotor, i tried loosening caliper bolts, pulling the lever tight and retighening bolts but that didnt work, and the pads are sitting as far back in the caliper bores as possible....any other suggestions?

much appreciated

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 9:34 Quote
Take the pads out, push the pistons as far back as you can with a flathead screwdriver then put the pads back in and squeeze the lever about 10 times

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 10:00 Quote
deft wrote:
Take the pads out, push the pistons as far back as you can with a flathead screwdriver then put the pads back in and squeeze the lever about 10 times

thanks deft, I pushed the pistons back with a flathead when i was inserting the new pads as it was a bit of a tight squeeze, i half heartedly bedded them in and its eased a little, but still rubbing on the rotor when free wheeling... :/

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 10:25 Quote
downhillerbeginner wrote:
deft wrote:

thanks deft, I pushed the pistons back with a flathead when i was inserting the new pads as it was a bit of a tight squeeze, i half heartedly bedded them in and its eased a little, but still rubbing on the rotor when free wheeling... :/
have you tried playing with the caliper position?

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 19:20 Quote
if the pistons are not fully retracting you may need a bleed/caliper overhaul. If you reset the pistons and then squeezed the brake the pistons should retract far enough to not rub when free wheeling

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 19:25 Quote
mtnbker395 wrote:
I dunno if the 5's have them but try pad contact.

and I would put money on the fact that you just have glazed over pads. try getting the semi metallic pads this time. I highly recommend Kool Stops.

rubber side down.

its either the pad contact which is on the juicy 5 or cleaning your rotors and changing your pads...try that

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 19:31 Quote
maxwagner wrote:
Hey
I hope that someone can help me or give me advice with my juicy 5 brakes. I bought them off eBay a while back.

I have been using them for about 3 months now and I've notice a lack of power. I bought the bleed kit off pricepoint and bleed them myself almost 7 times now, but nothing has worked. There aren't any leaks in the hose.

I have also been to my lbs and tested some similar brakes on new bikes and there is a great deal more power.

What is wrong with my brakes? I don't really want to spend money so maybe some advice would be great.

does the lever spring back well? try bouncing your bike on the rear wheel and squeezing the brake lever. This will work any air bubbles up into the lever and you will then be able to tell if there is air in the system, suggesting it would need a bleed. Sounds to me like a master cylinder problem, as if the seals are not able to move fluid and the fluid is getting behind the seals into the lever body, causing a loss of power

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 0:48 Quote
CANADA-RULES82 wrote:
mtnbker395 wrote:

and I would put money on the fact that you just have glazed over pads. try getting the semi metallic pads this time. I highly recommend Kool Stops.

rubber side down.

its either the pad contact which is on the juicy 5 or cleaning your rotors and changing your pads...try that

whats this pad contact buisness all about then? i cant see anywhere to adjust other than the three bolts on the caliper holding the two parts of the cailper together ( i tried loosening these badboys and holding the brake tight and doing them back up, = made no difference) thew new pads are the avid stock replacement pads. maybe i will try pushing the pistons back again... :/

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 20:15 Quote
downhillerbeginner wrote:
CANADA-RULES82 wrote:
mtnbker395 wrote:

rubber side down.

whats this pad contact buisness all about then? i cant see anywhere to adjust other than the three bolts on the caliper holding the two parts of the cailper together ( i tried loosening these badboys and holding the brake tight and doing them back up, = made no difference) thew new pads are the avid stock replacement pads. maybe i will try pushing the pistons back again... :/

you have to pull the levers out and adjust it with a (i think 2mm ) hex key ...psh your brakes the opposite way you would usually push them

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 20:22 Quote
maxwagner wrote:
Hey
I hope that someone can help me or give me advice with my juicy 5 brakes. I bought them off eBay a while back.

I have been using them for about 3 months now and I've notice a lack of power. I bought the bleed kit off pricepoint and bleed them myself almost 7 times now, but nothing has worked. There aren't any leaks in the hose.

I have also been to my lbs and tested some similar brakes on new bikes and there is a great deal more power.

What is wrong with my brakes? I don't really want to spend money so maybe some advice would be great.
I run juicy 5s also and I have also noticed a lack of power or even they get to a point where I have no power (the pads engage on the rotor but no power) I also weight 210 Lbs so I'm a heavy guy. and my guess is that they just aren't a very powerful break, and my advice would to get rid of them thats what I'm going to do.

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 5:49 Quote
Got a problem with my Juicy 5 lever... It's basically new (hasn't been used much) and the lever is sticking. The calipers are releasing, it's just the lever. Anybody know how to solve the problem? I've tried stripping it down, cleaning it, and re-greasing the seals, but no luck.

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 16:10 Quote
Video? DO NOT use grease on the seals, Brake fluid only!!! (ok, there are DOT compatible greases, but unless you have that DO NOT DO IT!)

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 16:13 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
Video? DO NOT use grease on the seals, Brake fluid only!!! (ok, there are DOT compatible greases, but unless you have that DO NOT DO IT!)

Ah sheeeeet. That's probably where I've gone wrong then! I'll clean it and use brake fluid, and I'll see how that goes. Cheers man.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019944
Mobile Version of Website