Why does everyone hate Gyro's?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Why does everyone hate Gyro's?
O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2009 at 20:20 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:

You can do that without a Gyro. It's called adjusting your brakes.
Yeah,
But it's not the same.
Because with normal brakes,
You have a stratle cable so it's being pulled by one cable and that one cable is pulling in both of the brake arms.
Were with dual cables,
each cable it's pulling it's own brake arm.
There is way more adjustments to be done.
Ask anyone who has ridden a full odyssey gyro setup (sherbet)
He can tell you it;s way more powerful when set up correctly

Posted: Jul 11, 2009 at 20:25 Quote
chrris wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:

Yeah,
But it's not the same.
You have a stratle cable so it's being pulled by one cable and that one cable is pulling in both of the brake arms.
Were with dual cables,

It starts off as one cable (on the lever).

I've set up both. Not more powerful. I'm certain if you could measure braking power, it would be slightly less, because of the gyro.

Posted: Jul 12, 2009 at 2:40 Quote
jake666bmxer wrote:
why do you need brakes anyways??????
no brakes looks a lot cleaner

Yeah man, go ride your "clean" bike somewhere else.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 1:31 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
chrris wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:

Yeah,
But it's not the same.
Were with dual cables,

It starts off as one cable (on the lever).

I've set up both. Not more powerful. I'm certain if you could measure braking power, it would be slightly less, because of the gyro.

A strait cable has a lot of slack in the u-cable going from the hanger to the brake arms. When you pull on the lever, the cable has to take up the slack before it can clamp down the brake. Even if your brakes are dialled in well there'll be some slack without mods.

With a gyro and dual cable setup there's no slack because there's no u-cable or hanger. You're basically running two cables direct from the lever to each brake arm with an inflexible piece of metal connecting them together. You'd get similar results from running a pair of linears direct from the lever to the brake arms.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 4:09 Quote
random-dude wrote:
A strait cable has a lot of slack in the u-cable going from the hanger to the brake arms. When you pull on the lever, the cable has to take up the slack before it can clamp down the brake. Even if your brakes are dialled in well there'll be some slack without mods.

You can run a spoke mod instead of a straddle cable, which eliminates flex between the hanger and the u-brake arms.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 4:40 Quote
richardmcdonagh wrote:
biker-4-eva wrote:
i love them i have them for fun i cant d barspins but i have one

You're either a poser or an idiot, why add extra weight onto your bike when you don't need it at all?

That's like saying "I have two pegs on the left side, I can't grind or stall on my left side though.". Not to mention it looks just about as stupid.
get over it you weight freak

FL
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 8:17 Quote
as long as u enjoy riding it dosnt matter- but personaly i think ther ugly, add weight and looses brake power, n ther only nececary if u like throw millions of barspins or tailwhips but then u could just use a long cable!but thats just my opinion Smile

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 8:25 Quote
in the bmx crowd evryones to poor to afford a good gyro or to dumb to figure out how to set them up correctly. why do you think there all brakeless its just a front cause they cant figure out how to put them on Razz

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 8:43 Quote
Storo999 wrote:
biker-4-eva wrote:
Stoked-Commencal wrote:

Umm what?

i meant that i just have one for fun i cant barspin or tailwhip but i have on also t leaves a scar on your bike if you take it off

K bud what are you talking about. There is no need to have one when you cant barspin or tailwhip. Your making your self sound like a fool right now. No they dont leave marks on ur frame if you have removable brake mounts, just small holes. Your 9 years old.

i used to spell you're like that in that context when i was nine Big Grin

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 11:22 Quote
erixtar1992 wrote:
richardmcdonagh wrote:
biker-4-eva wrote:
i love them i have them for fun i cant d barspins but i have one

You're either a poser or an idiot, why add extra weight onto your bike when you don't need it at all?

That's like saying "I have two pegs on the left side, I can't grind or stall on my left side though.". Not to mention it looks just about as stupid.

Weight freak? Explain to me the logic of having a Gyro on your bike if you can't even put it to use? If you can barspin, no harm in having a Gyro then, if you can't use it at all, then what the f*ck is the point of that.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 11:48 Quote
richardmcdonagh wrote:
erixtar1992 wrote:
richardmcdonagh wrote:

Weight freak? Explain to me the logic of having a Gyro on your bike if you can't even put it to use? If you can barspin, no harm in having a Gyro then, if you can't use it at all, then what the f*ck is the point of that.
im sure he could learn. but seriously ur not gna notice a difference in weight between a straight cable and a gyro man

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
people just think they suck cuz they get the shity kind and they dont know how to dial them so they give up

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
the only downside I've seen to gyros is the outer cables end pointing up which lets the rains in pretty easy.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 12:34 Quote
Because im brakeless

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
Even if you can't barspin or tailwhip, if you're running brakes, or if i was to I would definitely run a gyro. After riding brakeless for a year, I put on brakes for a week and was annoyed that you have to unwind the cable everytime you whip or throw your bars. Really annoying when learning and saves time if you get a gyro. Even long straight cables are annoying, I ran an uncut animal cable and it was only good for 2 spins max and then you're pushing it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019705
Mobile Version of Website