If I build ramps & some kid gets hurt, will I get sued?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
If I build ramps & some kid gets hurt, will I get sued?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 23:14 Quote
well like the title says, the landlord of a trail park said we could build Bike jumps, and i built sum from dirt, and i made sum wooded ramps but me dad says if a sumone/lil kid gets hurt on it im liable.if i post a use at own risk sign also stating we accept no responsibility for any injury on the ramp, would that not make me home free or still be liable?? help

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 23:19 Quote
It's their choice to hit them, so it's their fault if they get hurt. A disclaimer might be good to cover your *ss if they whine, though.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 23:27 Quote
ridedob wrote:
well like the title says, the landlord of a trail park said we could build Bike jumps, and i built sum from dirt, and i made sum wooded ramps but me dad says if a sumone/lil kid gets hurt on it im liable.if i post a use at own risk sign also stating we accept no responsibility for any injury on the ramp, would that not make me home free or still be liable?? help

In a word YES you will be liable, if the injured party got a half decent lawyer you'd have serious issues

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 23:33 Quote
robbie7127 wrote:
ridedob wrote:

In a word YES you will be liable, if the injured party got a half decent lawyer you'd have serious issues

this seriously worries me, iv caught a bunch of kids putting bored over our gaps and trying to hit them with non trick bikes, what can i do?

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 23:41 Quote
ridedob wrote:
robbie7127 wrote:
ridedob wrote:

this seriously worries me, iv caught a bunch of kids putting bored over our gaps and trying to hit them with non trick bikes, what can i do?
How do you figure? I mean, if they had a good lawyer, sure, but can't you win a lawsuit over your coffee being too hot, too, with a good lawyer? My thinking is it is there decision to hit what you built, not yours. You can't control that. You have in no way made them injure themselves, it was their decision.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 23:49 Quote
Put a Sign up that says "use at own risk"

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 23:57 Quote
JamesJozef wrote:
ridedob wrote:
robbie7127 wrote:

How do you figure? I mean, if they had a good lawyer, sure, but can't you win a lawsuit over your coffee being too hot, too, with a good lawyer? My thinking is it is there decision to hit what you built, not yours. You can't control that. You have in no way made them injure themselves, it was their decision.

although you are right and i agree with you 100% thats not the way the law works.
And i dont think that a do at own risk wont work

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 23:59 Quote
Is it on YOUR property? Can they PROVE you were the one that built them, and are solely responsible?

Didnt think so.

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:00 Quote
And for the love of god man, use spellcheck!

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:11 Quote
Im pretty sure the laws different over here. But in England, if a farmer or landowner lets you build jumps on their property, and you, or even little kids hurt themselves, its the landowner who is deemed responsible. Which sucks really, because the chances of getting to use a bit of land is a hell of a lot harder..

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:12 Quote
yeah, i think thats how it works here as well, thats why jumps always get torn down on city land. dont know if thats true, but thats what they tell us

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:14 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Is it on YOUR property? Can they PROVE you were the one that built them, and are solely responsible?

Didnt think so.

Yes, but once they go the land owner (who they would probably go to first) they will quickly enough find out who is building the jumps.

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:21 Quote
richardmcdonagh wrote:
Hummeroid wrote:

Didnt think so.

Yes, but once they go the land owner (who they would probably go to first) they will quickly enough find out who is building the jumps.

Landowner still gave permission, and assumes liability. So Ive been told.

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:27 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Landowner still gave permission, and assumes liability. So Ive been told.

Yep, exactly what I was trying to say. They were the ones that made it so the jumps could be built. It doesnt matter who actually picks up the spade and digs, aslong as they have permission.

It starts to get a bit more complicated when you dont have landowners permission, and you just start building. Then if some kids hurt themselves, im not so sure. I think its still technically the landowners problem, but if he calims to not know anything about the jumps, then liability could get shifted over onto you.

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:28 Quote
Yah at our old bike pArk and on CITY land, with a sign, we had this huge gap, and in the gap we always built fires... Well some kid front tire cased, and fell in the fire... His mom sued the. It so bad... Four months later it was dozed...

Don't build public jumps, your lfe will get dozed ..

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018815
Mobile Version of Website