4x bike, HT or DS

PB Forum :: Downhill
4x bike, HT or DS
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:00 Quote
I am thinking of getting a 4X bike, but i cant decide between a hardtail or a dual suspension. Also, do you guys have any ideas for 4x frames that are good for racing. Thanks.

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:02 Quote
I am no 4X expert but I think the hardtail is the best choice for 4X. Sorry but I have no suggestions.

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:08 Quote
Hardtail! It is lighter than a fully is. If you want to ride world cup tracks a fully would be the better choice.

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:10 Quote
well i live California and im a beginner, so i'll be racing races like Sea Otter and "Race4Tara" at Sandhill Ranch. Basically local races. So in that case i guess i'll get a hard tail frame. You guys have any suggestions? I was looking at the Transition Bank, but idk.

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:40 Quote
bump, any suggestions?

FL
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:44 Quote
Commencal Absolut 4x looks like quite a good option

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:47 Quote
is that what dan atherton rides?

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:47 Quote
yes but in the circumstances provided as a beginner i dont think he would want to spend that much money on a frame for the commencal, they may be great racing frames but are damn expensive in the states

FL
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:50 Quote
lovemy2008dhr wrote:
yes but in the circumstances provided as a beginner i dont think he would want to spend that much money on a frame for the commencal, they may be great racing frames but are damn expensive in the states

Yea forgot that it was expensive, you can get Absoluts in aluminum and cromo though, and you can get the full bikes...... Got a budget?

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:52 Quote
yeah i got a budget, and im a kid, and your only a kid once so why not spend the money you got before you got to spend it on stuff like taxes, bills, food, etc Smile

FL
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:55 Quote
Yeah im a kid aswell, i spend all my money that i work for on my bikes and other hobbies, good luck with finding a good frame/bike. tup Beer

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:55 Quote
thanks, so it looks like my options are a yeti dj or an absolute

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:56 Quote
yes but if you go out and break the bank on a new expensive 4x bike, and then find out you dont like 4x anymore you are in the hole and will never be able to sell the bike for what you payed for it. My advice is to for something cheaper since you are a beginner and if you find that its something that you want to persure further then you can always upgrade

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 0:59 Quote
yaeh, i know. Im gonna try and find good deals on craigslist or ebay or pb. But which absolute? The CrMo, Al, MAXMAX, or 26"?

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 1:00 Quote
lovemy2008dhr wrote:
yes but if you go out and break the bank on a new expensive 4x bike, and then find out you dont like 4x anymore you are in the hole and will never be able to sell the bike for what you payed for it. My advice is to for something cheaper since you are a beginner and if you find that its something that you want to persure further then you can always upgrade

Thats exactly what I did with DH, I just started off with a freeride hardtail and realised that I loved it and now I own a Norco Atomik.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010412
Mobile Version of Website