Tyres for someone who won't ride Maxxis

PB Forum :: Downhill
Tyres for someone who won't ride Maxxis
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 10, 2009 at 6:41 Quote
Call me a hippy environmentalist, but I have the unfortunate defect of a particularly active environmental conscience. Therefore putting rubber on my wheels made by a subsidiary of Exxon-Mobil does not fill me with joy. I don't fill my car up at Esso, why should I support them by buying their tyres?

So basically I'm looking for an all-round pair of DH tyres which are not, for a change, a Minion front and a High Roller rear. Alternative combos to the ones which the entire racing seems to be completely obsessed with? I was looking at Schwalbe tyres... any tested info on these?

Posted: Jul 10, 2009 at 6:51 Quote
harriieee wrote:
Call me a hippy environmentalist, but I have the unfortunate defect of a particularly active environmental conscience. Therefore putting rubber on my wheels made by a subsidiary of Exxon-Mobil does not fill me with joy. I don't fill my car up at Esso, why should I support them by buying their tyres?

So basically I'm looking for an all-round pair of DH tyres which are not, for a change, a Minion front and a High Roller rear. Alternative combos to the ones which the entire racing seems to be completely obsessed with? I was looking at Schwalbe tyres... any tested info on these?

Continental's Kaiser is meant to be a great tyre but its pretty expensive. I've heard good things about Schwalbe as well.

got racing ralphs on my ht and they are stunning; although on the light side so need higher pressure due to the super thin sidewalls.

they super goey compound is magic too!

and on the dh i have big betty on the rear and a muddy mary on the front and it rocks

though in the wet i have a swampthing on the back and a wetscream up front

general riding and for two wheel unflatable drifting i still roll gazzaloddis and i don't care what people say or think about gazza's

i recently bought an IRC trailbear 2.5 front tire, grips very good! it grips even better than the nevegal i had, i really recommend it and its also much cheaper than other tires

Posted: Jul 10, 2009 at 7:04 Quote
wtb timber wolf is supposed to really good for all round use. dual ply walls, softish rubber compound and wide spread knobs so it doesn't clog easy.

Posted: Jul 10, 2009 at 7:18 Quote
if you can get them go for michelin comp 16 on the front and comp 24 on the rear best combo ive used ,i got them in 2.2 and thay look like 2.5

Posted: Jul 10, 2009 at 7:31 Quote
Kenda Nevegal front and back, can't miss. I blew the sidewall out of a Minion, the Michelins are really tough, hard to get on/off your rims, almost need motorcycle levers, also I find them a little sketchy when it is dry and dusty. The Nevegals are solid performers in most conditions.

Posted: Jul 10, 2009 at 8:23 Quote
Just recently bought a pair of bontrager big earl 2.5 (although they look a little skinnier). They've treated me pretty good so far and the aggressive tread design is wicked. And for $110 for the set you can't complain.

Posted: Jul 10, 2009 at 9:01 Quote
Nevegals, cant do much better.

Posted: Jul 10, 2009 at 9:18 Quote
Nokian uses environment friendly compounds. For downhill you should try Gazza G.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013598
Mobile Version of Website