Where to buy good quality spray paint

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Where to buy good quality spray paint
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 23:10 Quote
supercross4 wrote:
get rust olieum from home depot best paint

Far from the best paint... its actualy one of the worst paints I have used.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 23:11 Quote
artprimo.com

you can get some sweet colors too

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 23:20 Quote
i think im goin to get something from canadian tire or artprimo

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 0:03 Quote
shrednasty wrote:
artprimo.com

you can get some sweet colors too
what type of paint on there do u recomend

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 1:51 Quote
get Montana, worlds best paint

http://www.montana-cans.com

every colour you can imagine

or belton 600 either are the best

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 2:34 Quote
buy paint for a bike at like napa or something (car shop) cause car paint is super strong

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 2:56 Quote
Tremclad, nuh uh. Wouldn't recommend it for painting a bike, other stuff sure. Krylon, it's pretty good, but not the best. Can get it at Canadian Tire for cheap. Montana is damn good paint. Just remember to make sure it's METAL paint.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 3:28 Quote
dotca wrote:
Tremclad, nuh uh. Wouldn't recommend it for painting a bike, other stuff sure. Krylon, it's pretty good, but not the best. Can get it at Canadian Tire for cheap. Montana is damn good paint. Just remember to make sure it's METAL paint.

their all good but the way to go for good quality is Montana or Belton 600

id go montana because they have more complex colours so instead of the basics (which they have) they also have things like for yellow. Pinapple, peach, lemon etc..

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 4:11 Quote
SavageMountainAnimal wrote:
supercross4 wrote:
get rust olieum from home depot best paint

Far from the best paint... its actualy one of the worst paints I have used.

Same here. I've tried a couple different rust paints and didn't care for any of them. The final finish never came out glossy enough for my liking.

I was always go with Duplicolor paints from Canadian Tire. They're multi-step kits are good, they have some of the more innovative spray coatings in a can and pretty well any colour used by a large automotive manufacturer in the last decade or two can be found.

Another option, if you have any paint houses/auto body supply stores (I'm not talking places like Part Source, but places like Cross Canada) you can see if they have the ability to put custom colours in a spray can. There's a place around here that does it, you get them the paint code and they'll mix you up a custom colour automotive paint at a reasonable price.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 4:59 Quote
first of if i presume you want to paint your frame. To have a quality paintjob, you should strip it off to bare metal. Takes a bit of elbow grease but your going to be able to see all defects and fixs them before you start to paint. To strip paint I just used a paint stripper from home depot. I know it says furniture strip but it works great. Make sure you have gloves and a mask, its very potent http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=166068&Ntt=166068&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Once your frame is to the bare metal this is where the hard stuff begins, Your going to need to prime your frame, this makes sure that your paint is going to properly stick to the frame. So get a primer and apply about 3 thin coats. Wet sand in between coats, almost removing your previous coat; about 600grit and arround 1500grit for the final primer coat.

Next your going to apply your color, same idea here but use a higher grit sandpaper 1000 and up. Your only able to buy does at canadian tire. Once your happy with the color and decals if you did any your gonna put a clear coat. The more thin coats you put the better it is. If you put a thick coat, if you get a chip it will remove the coat layer, so if you have two thick coats and you chip it, it may chip you paint. This is where your going to need to wet sand in between coats, again...

And once your done your final coat your going to use a polishing compound, this is a paste, that is a couple of 1000 grit paste and will actually polish your clear coat.(Turtle Wax® Polishing Compound) Then buff away until your happy with your result.

This is not easy to do, well its easy but if you want nice results its hard, takes a lot of time, effort, and a bit of money. make sure your ready to do it and do alot of research on automotive painting; same principal.

Ill keep you posted, im just done priming my frame also.

good luck !

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 5:37 Quote
just rock some Dupli-color paint from canadian tire, it's car paint, looks great dries really fast, best paint i've used.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 10:31 Quote
where can u get montana paint?

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 10:41 Quote
I used purple rust oleum and rust oleum clear coast worked perfect for me from home depot
photo

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 16:20 Quote
Get some Montana Spanish.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 16:26 Quote
Try bombingscience.com
Or other graffiti stores.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012104
Mobile Version of Website