Camcorders

PB Forum :: Biking Videos
Camcorders
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 7:04 Quote
just wondering why camcorders such as the Canon XH A1 use film over flash cards?
with film is it hard to edit footage?
how do you get rid of old footage?
thanks!Cool

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 13:36 Quote
DV or HDV tapes is the most common format in the industry, for a few reasons. I go over a few of them in a tutorial I made, but my website is getting its new domain name at the moment so it's offline (I will post a link once it's online again). Tapes are much cheaper than flash cards, and have less video compression. Some of the best cameras use P2 flash cards, but these can cost $800 each, so tapes are a much cheaper alternative, although there are some disadvantages too...

It's no harder to edit footage recorded on tapes than it is editing with any other footage, but the transferring process from your camera to the computer is time-consuming. Basically, you have to play back your footage in real time to the computer for it to capture it, and it usually has to be done via a FireWire cable (you will need a PCI card or adaptor if your computer doesn't have a FireWire port). And to get rid of old footage, you just have to rewind the tape and record over it again.

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 13:38 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
DV or HDV tapes is the most common format in the industry, for a few reasons. I go over a few of them in a tutorial I made, but my website is getting its new domain name at the moment so it's offline (I will post a link once it's online again). Tapes are much cheaper than flash cards, and have less video compression. Some of the best cameras use P2 flash cards, but these can cost $800 each, so tapes are a much cheaper alternative, although there are some disadvantages too...

It's no harder to edit footage recorded on tapes than it is editing with any other footage, but the transferring process from your camera to the computer is time-consuming. Basically, you have to play back your footage in real time to the computer for it to capture it, and it usually has to be done via a FireWire cable (you will need a PCI card or adaptor if your computer doesn't have a FireWire port). And to get rid of old footage, you just have to rewind the tape and record over it again.

cheers for that mantup

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 13:40 Quote
Alexspecialized wrote:
SpikeX wrote:

cheers for that mantup

No prob. Anything else just ask.

Posted: Jul 19, 2009 at 3:41 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
Here's the tutorial.
wow that website of yours awsered all my questions thanks manBig Grin

Posted: Jul 19, 2009 at 3:55 Quote
Alexspecialized wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
Here's the tutorial.
wow that website of yours awsered all my questions thanks manBig Grin

Haha good to know.

Posted: Oct 22, 2009 at 14:31 Quote
i need a low budget camcorder that has ok quality. suggestions please....

Posted: Oct 22, 2009 at 17:16 Quote
bobo-alb4 wrote:
i need a low budget camcorder that has ok quality. suggestions please....

What's your price range? Low budget means something different to each person.

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 17:20 Quote
sony dcr-sr100 is pretty sweet, i've been using it for a couple years now

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.042330
Mobile Version of Website