Linkage Designs

• Previous Page
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 at 12:34 Quote
Hey all I took the liberty of making this thread because all the linkage designs were clogging up the "home made bikes" thread. So just post your linkage designs here instead of the home made bikes thread. Cheers. Beer

Posted: Jul 19, 2009 at 22:52 Quote
i have 2 designs i am willing of uploading to this thread. the other one im keepign under wraps because it truely has potential. im on its 3rd year of development and almost ready to build the proto.

anyways i have linkage personal i went to do the update and it gave me linkage professional? whats up with that?! im kinda stoked.

Posted: Jul 19, 2009 at 23:17 Quote
aand i would like to post 2, however can't figure out how?

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 19:26 Quote
well this forum never really took off.

but here we are.

these are the only 2 of my 3 i am willing to post. all 3 of which are now drawn up in CAD (autodesk) and in dynamic simulation. however i am weary of posting this shit online.

if you have questions let me know! i'd be happy to converse with you about it.

BOTH FRAMES ARE 220MM of travel.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk16/Jwmbike14/SOLOCA12011.gif?t=1249265588
this will get a lot of commenting about the chain stretch. however you'll see there is a pully, and it actually doesn't suffer to much. although it has a tad bit of pedal kickback. still not bad however.

this design is designed to keep geometry very similar throughout the travel. it is a 220mm travel bike, in which the first 180mm of travel is almost a linear axle path ALMOST parallel with the head angle. (head angle at 65.5 the axle path is about 66.8, but otherwise very close). and after 180mm of travel it starts to curve straight up in its bottom out stages of compression. i chose the axle path to be a little steeper than the headangle as to avoid the weight and center of gravity to be thrown forward upon impact. you sag into about 60mm of travel. at about 90mm of travel the bike is poppy and should jump fairly decent. the design allows it to have close to constant geometry throughout most of the travel and should handle steep rocky sections extremely well. it has a falling shock rate, and a shock curve which SHOULD allow it to be responsive as well.

edit: by the way, the lines you see show essential what the axle path is doing. when they are parallel it means there is about no curve at all and very close to linear. you'll see at the top where the lines start to cross is where the suspension start to curve for the bottoming out portion of travel. shock is 9.5x3.0

this is my 2nd design im willing to post up.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk16/Jwmbike14/nbcv12009-2.gif?t=1249265509
this design has a lower link which initiates a rearward axle path. and infact the principles are very similar to some of the current leading designs.

i originally started this frame at around the same time that lappierre came out with their bike. however instead of the link up top such as a Lappierre this incorporate the exact rail and shuttle from a Yeti 303. leverage ratio is promising, and it is designed around an isolated pedaling platform, which would allow it to be active, yet close to bob free with a 36-38 tooth ring.

edit again: on this design you will see there is only one pivot. the rail is mounted to the kinked portion of seat tube and the shuttle is connected to the shock, as well as upper pivot of the rear triangle. shock is 8.75x2.75

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 19:33 Quote
dude those are sweet. Thats the kind of stuff I want to do if I get serious into engineering this year at college. I'm already pretty fluent with Autocad classic and 3D modeling from a class in high school.

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 19:36 Quote
orangefreak5 wrote:
dude those are sweet. Thats the kind of stuff I want to do if I get serious into engineering this year at college. I'm already pretty fluent with Autocad classic and 3D modeling from a class in high school.

right on! autodesk or solidworks?

im fluent with Autodesk, just about all their programs. however i am not fluent with Solidworks quite yet. i am taking classes for solidworks (no longer need it for autodesk) this next semester at my local college.

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 19:43 Quote
I might contribute to this thread too. Ill post up some of my old designs when i get home

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 19:48 Quote
kempie wrote:
I might contribute to this thread too. Ill post up some of my old designs when i get home
to Kempie:
yes please! it would be sick to have a thread discussing ideas and plans. this one kidna got off to a bad start originally. hopefully we can pick it up a little.

to thread: i would love for some creative criticism on mine. not just straight BS. but real questions concerns or comments.

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 19:57 Quote
Jwmbike14 wrote:
orangefreak5 wrote:

im fluent with Autodesk, just about all their programs. however i am not fluent with Solidworks quite yet. i am taking classes for solidworks (no longer need it for autodesk) this next semester at my local college.

the autodesk version. I did wish I got to use a different 3D modeling program other than Autocad because once you get into serious modeling that program kinda just looks at you and says "f*uck you" and it just gets really hard to work with.

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 19:59 Quote
orangefreak5 wrote:
Jwmbike14 wrote:
orangefreak5 wrote:

the autodesk version. I did wish I got to use a different 3D modeling program other than Autocad because once you get into serious modeling that program kinda just looks at you and says "f*uck you" and it just gets really hard to work with.

not in an offensive way. but that just means your not quite fluent with it. i've been working with it for 4 years and i now find it easy in more complex designs.

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 20:11 Quote
Jwmbike14 wrote:
orangefreak5 wrote:
Jwmbike14 wrote:

not in an offensive way. but that just means your not quite fluent with it. i've been working with it for 4 years and i now find it easy in more complex designs.

No offense taken. I was more fluent than everyone else in my class. It just seemed that it never wanted to do what you wanted to do when it got complex...there was always some little trick or long way about it that my teacher had to sit down and show me.

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 23:48 Quote
Right!

Finally got around to posting my design.Smile Ive only got the one at the moment, my others are still sketchup models.

But, the GIF doesnt work.Blank Stare Does it have to be uploaded as a movie?

EDIT: Just decided it was easier to sign up for photobucket
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/kempie9201/KempIndustiresGravity2010.gif

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 23:54 Quote
kempie wrote:
Right!

Finally got around to posting my design.Smile Ive only got the one at the moment, my others are still sketchup models.

But, the GIF doesnt work.Blank Stare Does it have to be uploaded as a movie?

nope. just export the file as a GIF straight from linkage. go to photobucket and upload it. its that simple

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 0:42 Quote
there is lots of talk about commencal's Supreme DH. it is said to be the best handling single pivot out, thanks to the design of the suspension and the leverage ratio.

i just got finished with a single pivot 220mm frame that gives the same leverage ratio curve, but lower leverage ratio its self. 9% more linear axle path. less chain growth, lower center of gravity, adjustable Head angle, adjustable chainstay length, and adjustable bb (can adjust the bb with NO resulting affect on head angle).

i will be building it this next semester at college.

and hopefully racing it next season.

Posted: Oct 5, 2009 at 12:41 Quote
jwmbike14 i very much like your designs, very original and looks functional Salute

can you comment on this one:

photo

photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014628
Mobile Version of Website