The Rigid Lifestyle

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
The Rigid Lifestyle
Posted: Dec 25, 2021 at 6:45 Quote
Most better hubs now are adaptable, just get the appropriate caps. I’ve actually run all the Identiti forks with great success. But even if you don’t have an adaptable hub now, it’s easy and cheap the relace a newer front hub. Or find a optional front wheel to run.
What hub/axle are you running now?

Posted: Dec 25, 2021 at 6:48 Quote
If your current axle is adaptable to 15mm all you need is this adapter for a standard 10mm fork. I’ve run these axles on several builds, works great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254858424598?hash=item3b56bef116:g:qHwAAOSwgQ9VviDK

Posted: Dec 25, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
Most better hubs now are adaptable, just get the appropriate caps. I’ve actually run all the Identiti forks with great success. But even if you don’t have an adaptable hub now, it’s easy and cheap the relace a newer front hub. Or find a optional front wheel to run.
What hub/axle are you running now?

I've got a Halo MT and from what I can gather you can't make these into 10mm bolted. It's either 20mm or QR.

They do come with 15mm though so that link you sent me is pretty interesting, except I'm not sure that would be compatible with Halo MT & I'm in the UK...

However since posting this on Facebook too, a guy has said that running rigids broke 3 PBJ head tubes of his ..

I've got to be honest this has made be really nervous to run rigid on this frame, especially the longer ones. Had anyone else ever heard of this?

It kind of makes sense that having no give in the front end with long forks would put more stress on the frames head tube

I really don't want to f*ck this frame up as the XL version I have is super hard to come by here in the UK...

Posted: Dec 25, 2021 at 13:32 Quote
Wow! I’ve literally never even heard of a cracked PBJ or hardly any steel frames at all after switching to rigid……much less three of them. I’m finding it hard to believe.

Also the MT hub is adaptable, so all you you’d need is the 15mm caps and the axle I posted.

Posted: Dec 25, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
Wow! I’ve literally never even heard of a cracked PBJ or hardly any steel frames at all after switching to rigid……much less three of them. I’m finding it hard to believe.

Also the MT hub is adaptable, so all you you’d need is the 15mm caps and the axle I posted.

Yeah, I'm pretty cynical too, and to be fair the term he used was "ruined three head tubes" so it's not clear what he means by that...

Either way it's got me thinking maybe by budget could stretch to some Manitou Circus Expert...

Posted: Dec 25, 2021 at 21:06 Quote
My guess is he may of been riding with a loose H'set? That will fk a frame with any fork.
Look at BMX, Any steel frame should be strong enough for a rigid,
Hell, even alloy trials frame an forks put up with a TON of abuse!!
Assuming dude had his H'set tight, this says more about the PBJ than the fork. So yeah I'm dubious

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 14:57 Quote
Hey all. I recently purchased a used Eastern Nightrain dirt jumper with the attention of fixing it up. It came is an 2007 RST Space fork and is in a rough condition. Oil seems to leak out of it and it makes a top out noise when I pull up. I cant find parts anywhere to rebuild it and pretty much needs to be replaced. I was considering a rigid fork as an option due to the cheaper cost. I was looking at the IDENTITI REBATE 14/20 XL 26"/27.5"/29" FORK 20X110MM. I have 24" wheels and was wondering if this would be a good option. I have bars with a fairly large rise, but I do not know a lot about fork height to wheel height. I plan to ride this at an indoor bike parts with relatively large jumps and flow sections. I am pretty new to the dirt jumping bike scene and need some help to get up to speed on current products. Any help yall can provide would be much appreciated.

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 16:10 Quote
Without knowing it’s geometry for certain, I’m gonna suggest a 450 a-c version. With 24” wheels 465 maybe too tall. Best to find best option that keeps your bb at same or close to same height as axles.
Keep in mind the 450 version only come with 10mm dropouts, so if your hub isn’t adaptable you’ll need another wheel/hub option.

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 16:30 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
Without knowing it’s geometry for certain, I’m gonna suggest a 450 a-c version. With 24” wheels 465 maybe too tall. Best to find best option that keeps your bb at same or close to same height as axles.
Keep in mind the 450 version only come with 10mm dropouts, so if your hub isn’t adaptable you’ll need another wheel/hub option.

Ok. What negative effect would I experience with a taller fork? What is bb? I am not sure if the hub is adaptable. Its an eastern hub. The link below is a site that lists the angles and dimensions of the bike.

https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/eastern/9293

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 17:08 Quote
“bb” is your bottom bracket.
If your bike is a 24” wheel bikes you just don’t need the taller fork. Even if the frame is a 26” frame and you’re running 24” wheels a 450 would most likely be a better fit. A taller than necessary fork will slow your handling. Conversely you wouldn’t want a super short fork either as that would drop the front too much and cause the handling to become too twitchy, nose diving off jumps.

For comparison sake here’s my 26” Octane One Void frame running 24” wheels. The fork is an Identiti 450, slightly shorter than a traditional 26” suspension fork in a-c height. You’ll notice this keeps my bb at a neutral heights in relation to the axles. .
Octane One Void with 24 wheels and A Rebate 450 fork. Love this bike.

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 17:13 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
“bb” is your bottom bracket.
If your bike is a 24” wheel bikes you just don’t need the taller fork. Even if the frame is a 26” frame and you’re running 24” wheels a 450 would most likely be a better fit. A taller than necessary fork will slow your handling. Conversely you wouldn’t want a super short fork either as that would drop the front too much and cause the handling to become too twitchy, nose diving off jumps.

For comparison sake here’s my 26” Octane One Void frame running 24” wheels. The fork is an Identiti 450, slight shorter than a traditional 26” suspension fork in a-c height. You’ll notice this keeps my bb at a neutral heights in relation to the axles. .
Octane One Void with 24 wheels and A Rebate 450 fork. Love this bike.

Ok. That makes sense. How do you like runnning a rigid fork? I have never ridden one before. Reading on the forums it appears to be more a personal prefernce between rigid and suspension. Is there any specific benefits having a rigid fork? Are there any other forks that you would recceomend that have a 20mm axle?

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 17:23 Quote
Ha, yeah I’ve run literally dozens of rigid DJ bikes. Also have several suspension bikes as well. And yes, it’s totally a personal preference thing. Most of us that came from a BMX background are probably more used to the feel of rigid.
Personally I feel like most people run suspension just because that’s what the industry pushes as a standard. When in actuality most DJ spots are smooth and groomed to a certain degree and don’t really warrant suspension. For sure suspension is more forgiving….but….it’s also more weight, complexity, cost. And in my opinion if you learn to ride well on a rigid bike suspension bikes are super mellow and relaxing, not as aggressive. That’s just my opinion of course.

Here’s the bike I probably ride 90% of the time.
The old Mutant X-Ray never lets me down. Still one of my favorite bikes.

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 17:42 Quote
Ok. I might go with the rigid fork then.

Posted: Mar 13, 2022 at 12:05 Quote
naptime wrote:
Octane One Spark
Finished this a while back but forgot to post it here, Octane One Spark 24"

What fork?

Looks like it will accept a 26 with room left over

Posted: Mar 13, 2022 at 12:32 Quote
Kis bikes. Not sure if they're about anymore. It's a 26" for but not suss corrected. Only 425 axle to crown.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014941
Mobile Version of Website