Cassette cog reduction for 4X

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Cassette cog reduction for 4X
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 14:27 Quote
any body got any tips for going down to 3or4 speed on the cassette? i'm guessing i strip the cassette an reassemble with some spacers?
what type of spacers do i need?
tooth size-what do you use?
tooth size difference in relation to shifting performance
derailier set up? top/bottom limit screws i'm guessing
any change on shifter set up
3-4 or 5speed what works for you?

any tips an how to's or links would be greatly appreciated
jon

FL
Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 14:32 Quote
info in the comments section of this picture when u click on it
photo

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 14:33 Quote
any reason you want to do this? just start off in whatever gear and shift down from there? 4x gearing has to be the easiest as you just shift down from the gate

seems like a waste of time to remove 3-4 gears just to look more pro

FL
Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 14:41 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
any body got any tips for going down to 3or4 speed on the cassette? i'm guessing i strip the cassette an reassemble with some spacers?
what type of spacers do i need?
tooth size-what do you use?
tooth size difference in relation to shifting performance
derailier set up? top/bottom limit screws i'm guessing
any change on shifter set up
3-4 or 5speed what works for you?

any tips an how to's or links would be greatly appreciated
jon
Yep, just take off the cassette, leave spacers that come in the cassette where they are on the gears you want to keep, and put spacers either side.
Any single speed kit will do, but i got some pimp spacers from ebay for less than most ss kits.
I use a very close ratio, 5 speed: 21,19,17,16,15
Closer ratios give you a smoother shift, larger ratios will be less smooth.
Shouldnt need any tips on the limit screws, no other real changes to derailleur other than lining it up right. Just sort the limit screws so it doesnt shift above/below your top/bottom gear (unless you want a freecoaster).
No change on my shifter, just the adjustment of derailleur line up and thats it.
Any speed should work. Due to my small ratio, I was tempted to go 6 speed, but ended up 5 speed.

FL
Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 14:43 Quote
stryke wrote:
any reason you want to do this? just start off in whatever gear and shift down from there? 4x gearing has to be the easiest as you just shift down from the gate

Not just to look pro. For people like me with miniature cassettes, chainline is a problem. I always start in gear 2 or 3, which is pretty far over, so i moved my 5 most used gears (1,2,3,4,5) over so that 3 is where my perfect chainline is.

FL
Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 14:46 Quote
thanx for all the info boyo's

FL
Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 14:47 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
stryke wrote:

my frend is a bmx'er an also races a bit of 4X.he wants to reduce speeds to make his charge blender more 4X specific an more like his bmx,probably a good 2or3 ounces lost there too. he's pretty much decided on 3speed, one for the gate one for the start hill an one for the track
nowt to do lookin more pro! LOL

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 14:53 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
nojzilla wrote:
stryke wrote:

my frend is a bmx'er an also races a bit of 4X.he wants to reduce speeds to make his charge blender more 4X specific an more like his bmx,probably a good 2or3 ounces lost there too. he's pretty much decided on 3speed, one for the gate one for the start hill an one for the track
nowt to do lookin more pro! LOL

9 gears or 3 its your choice to shift.. i just dont see how having 3 is an advantage over 9 when you just shift down from the start gate anyway

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009362
Mobile Version of Website