DJ bike vs DH bike, which first?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
DJ bike vs DH bike, which first?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 20:43 Quote
I want to do DH/Freeride and DJ, but I can't afford 2 bikes yet. What type of riding should I get into first? And what bike should I get?

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 20:46 Quote
I would say to start with dj, but it really depends on what you like more.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 20:47 Quote
rprouse28 wrote:
I want to do DH/Freeride and DJ, but I can't afford 2 bikes yet. What type of riding should I get into first? And what bike should I get?

your right about there being no bike that will do either well

as far as which you should get into first, well thats up to you eh, your gonna get people telling you either depending on the one they like better, go with whichever one you like more and get a bike that fits that type

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 20:51 Quote
ya and if you dont live near mountains or anything like i dont the dj is prob a better decision... up to u my friend

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 20:54 Quote
well i had the same decision to make, i went for the dj bike, maybe get a frame that can handle up to like 150mm fork. so if you ever get into more freeride, you can put some higher travel forks on.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 20:59 Quote
Depends on your budget too, and what kind of bikes you want to end up with (like top of the line for both or good DJ and ok DH, or maybe you could get a BMX and DH bike?).

You can use some DJ bikes to start off doing DH (ie Giant STP set up with Pike U-Turn) but obviously it may not be great at either, however on a limited budget at least you get a better taste for what you want to do more and what to put most of your money into.

Realistically it would look stupid jumping with a DH bike, and DHing with a DJ bike probably makes you a bit more likely to kill yourself.
My vote would be DJ bike first, worst case you might be able to transfer some of the components from the DJ to a DH frame you buy, if you decide not to keep both types.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 21:01 Quote
dj for sure. it will give you better handling of a bike. thats my opinion at least

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 22:02 Quote
Well, I told my dad about my future biking plans. 2 years ago he bought me an all mountain bike. I have now started to not like xc as much and have started to really like jumping And going downhill. He thinks I should get another all mountain/light freeride bike so that I can still do uphills. But the question is, would it be worth it? I mean, a dh or freeride bike would be way better at whistler than an all mountain rig, right? But I think he wants me to get a bike that I can pedal uphill with so that I can still ride with him.

1. If I get a DJ bike, the only thing I could use it for is DJ/street. Which would be fun but I'd need more than one bike if I had one.

2. If I get a DH bike I can ride it at the local bike park and mountains. The main reasons would be Whistler and I'd like to start racing.

3. If I get an all mountain/light freeride bike (such as a Turner RFX or Giant Reign X) it wouldn't be as good at Whistler but it would be fine at the bike park and I could still ride with my dad on the xc.

What do you think I should do? If I could afford it I'd get all three!

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 22:10 Quote
rprouse28 wrote:
Well, I told my dad about my future biking plans. 2 years ago he bought me an all mountain bike. I have now started to not like xc as much and have started to really like jumping And going downhill. He thinks I should get another all mountain/light freeride bike so that I can still do uphills. But the question is, would it be worth it? I mean, a dh or freeride bike would be way better at whistler than an all mountain rig, right? But I think he wants me to get a bike that I can pedal uphill with so that I can still ride with him.

1. If I get a DJ bike, the only thing I could use it for is DJ/street. Which would be fun but I'd need more than one bike if I had one.

2. If I get a DH bike I can ride it at the local bike park and mountains. The main reasons would be Whistler and I'd like to start racing.

3. If I get an all mountain/light freeride bike (such as a Turner RFX or Giant Reign X) it wouldn't be as good at Whistler but it would be fine at the bike park and I could still ride with my dad on the xc.

i would go with the all mountain/light freeride.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 22:11 Quote
Welcome to the game buddy!! It takes time to build up a collection, don't be in a hurry. Just set your sights on what YOU want to do and get the appropriate bike.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 22:19 Quote
Well would a bike like a Giant Reign X or Turner RFX be good at whistler?

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 22:19 Quote
rprouse28 wrote:

I'd say go with wat you'll be riding the most, so u get the best bang for your buck. Then save up for the other. I was in the same situation as u, that's why i was lookin into a Norco Six with air suspension in the rear so i can lock it out.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 22:25 Quote
Well, a Norco Six is a slopestyle bike, so isn't it kind of hard to pedal uphill?

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 22:25 Quote
I faced the same problem and went with the DH/Freeride bike and I couldn't be happier, it jumps fine for my skill level and I LOVE the freeride and downhill, I can't get enough of them!

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 22:26 Quote
rprouse28 wrote:
Well would a bike like a Giant Reign X or Turner RFX be good at whistler?
You don't ;ive near whistler, How many freeride/dh trails do you have around you? How many times in a year are you going to be in whistler? these are the questions you have to ask yourself.

In my opinion your best be would be a Dj hardtail with a pike U-turn(make sure it can handle 140mm). This way you can DJ and still do the trails. Riding Dh on a hardtail to start off will make you a better smoother rider.

Also a Norco six is not a Slopestyle bike, It has to much travel.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012262
Mobile Version of Website