Dirty Brake Fluid

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Dirty Brake Fluid
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 at 8:17 Quote
Good people,

I was bleeding my brakes last week for the first time since I bought my 2008 avid codes.

I noticed that when I was bleeding the front brake lever that a fair bit of "dirty brake fluid" came out.

Other than getting the air bubbles out I would think that having "dirty brake fluid" is not a desirable end result.

So my question is if the brake fluid should be replaced all together if it is somewhat dirty?

Speaking of air bubbles. Is it safe to say that not all the air bubbles can be extracted?

Thanks in advance.

-CF-

Posted: Aug 12, 2009 at 10:47 Quote
charliefandango wrote:
Good people,

I was bleeding my brakes last week for the first time since I bought my 2008 avid codes.

I noticed that when I was bleeding the front brake lever that a fair bit of "dirty brake fluid" came out.

Other than getting the air bubbles out I would think that having "dirty brake fluid" is not a desirable end result.

So my question is if the brake fluid should be replaced all together if it is somewhat dirty?

Speaking of air bubbles. Is it safe to say that not all the air bubbles can be extracted?

Thanks in advance.

-CF-
if your bleeding you should exchange all the old brake oil with some new oil...its rele the purpose of a bleed, to remove bubbles by exchanging oil..
and when your bleeding it is impossible to get all the little bubbles out, however i did get fairly close.
hope this helps,
ask me if u still need help.

tom

Posted: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:31 Quote
well since you have codes i take it you have the avid bleed kit. the trick to a good bleed its to bring your lever reach in to open up the line abit and to let out the pad contact to open the line up even more. secondly when bleeding with the syringes use a combination of pushing fluid in and then backing it out by pulling on the syringes creating a vacuum in the line. for my this tends to flush out the air pretty great.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010244
Mobile Version of Website