Which freeride bike would you recommend?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Which freeride bike would you recommend?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 at 8:48 Quote
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting back into biking after a 10 year hiatus. I'm 27, living in mountainous Switzerland, and I've finally got some money to spend Wink

I grew up in Vancouver playing around on trails and the one jump in Stanley Park and occasionally hitting up Mt. Fromme. I also had a brief stint with trials but that turned out to be too expensive for the 16 year old me. I have never properly ridden a full-suspension bike, but I'd like to get into gravity-heavy freeriding and I need your recommendations. What's hot and what's not these days? Any brands that are reliably awesome? ...what about ones that are pretty much 100% terrible and should be avoided at all cost?

Thanks for any info in advance!

Cheers,
Bern

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 at 9:30 Quote
get a Rocky Mountain RMX, you will not be disappointed

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 at 10:11 Quote
I have had my '07 Stinky for its second season. Konas are good if your on a budget. Havent had any issues. Check out mine in my album

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 at 10:14 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:

considering there not in production anymore i think he will

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 at 10:18 Quote
Well, there is a good few...

Giant Faith, or if you can get last years Glory FR, bit heavy but good bikes none the less
Specialized Demo 7
Cove STD
Commencal Furious

There is loads more....

Also, by the way, what is your budget?...

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 at 10:25 Quote
nothingsshocking wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:

considering there not in production anymore i think he will
second hand is just as good

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 at 10:35 Quote
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I'm not sure what my budget is—depends how stoked I get Wink

I won't be a total beginner but I have been out of it for a looong time sooo—I dunno, what would make sense? What would you recommend I spend on a getting-back-into-it bike?

Also I'm not sure it's worth discussing the prices so much since they are probably different here, and probably more Frown

For now let's hypothetically say money is no object...

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 at 10:45 Quote
bernk wrote:

I won't be a total beginner but I have been out of it for a looong time sooo—I dunno, what would make sense? What would you recommend I spend on a getting-back-into-it bike?

Also I'm not sure it's worth discussing the prices so much since they are probably different here, and probably more Frown

If your not going big straight away but want a very capable bike look into the Giant Reign X and maybe the new Trek Scratch...

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 at 10:49 Quote
specialized sx trails are always good. commencal furious

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 at 19:36 Quote
bernk wrote:

What bikes do your local bike shops carry?

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 0:48 Quote
brianl wrote:

Cannondale, Kona, Scott seem to be pretty popular imports and a looot of Swiss/European brands. Honestly though I've seen pretty much the full spectrum of brands around…I live right by a little hill that has a bike park on it—which is also part of the incentive to get into it.

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 1:47 Quote
bernk wrote:
brianl wrote:

Cannondale, Kona, Scott seem to be pretty popular imports and a looot of Swiss/European brands. Honestly though I've seen pretty much the full spectrum of brands around…I live right by a little hill that has a bike park on it—which is also part of the incentive to get into it.
norco shore one. biased as hell Pimp

O+
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 at 4:45 Quote
It's very likely that I'll be buying used. Any advice on that?

What are the super important things to look for on a used FR bike?

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 at 5:06 Quote
Anything that cops a beating. Suspension especially, it should have smooth action and no noise, and be free of oily residue around the seals. Seals should be seated properly and not damaged.

Check that everything is straight, like disc rotors and rims, and make sure the brake and gear levers work, and the gears operate properly through the full range. Get your lbs to look it over if your not sure.

Most importantly ride it, and make sure the size and geometry suit. If it feels sloppy or bent in any way, walk away.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 at 4:24 Quote
What do you guys think of a 2006 Kona Stinky Deluxe for around $2,400? Seems to be in good condition…

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011748
Mobile Version of Website