New to DH

PB Forum :: Beginners
New to DH
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 21:18 Quote
looking to get a downhill full suspension i dont know about a thing regarding mountainbikes. I BMX
any sugestions on do's and donts? bike parts or bikes? anything will help?
thanks?

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 21:34 Quote
I-ridethething wrote:
looking to get a downhill full suspension i dont know about a thing regarding mountainbikes. I BMX
any sugestions on do's and donts? bike parts or bikes? anything will help?
thanks?
More info is needed, budget, what type a riding you will be doing (racing down hills, hitting stunts, shore stuff, etc...)
Also search is always great.
But a good way to start is to ask a very vague question and ask more questions about the answers given (that gives you something to go on)

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 21:44 Quote
well hopefully no more than 2000$ planing on like freeriding down hills in moab utah.
looking for a upgradeable bike but pretty good on the get go for under 2000$ should i buy it new or used?

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 21:47 Quote
Well it all depends. You can get a decent bike for under 2000 but it won't necessarily be as well spec'ed as a used bike. Although for 2000$ you can get a good bike that you can ride now and upgrade later, The Santa Cruz V-10 or Specialized Demo series are nice bikes.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 21:55 Quote
I don't know if this is the best plan of action but its the one I'm taking. I'm buying my friends 2006 Specialized Big hit frame with half the parts it needs to be fully functional. I'm working at a bike shop so I can get good parts at great prices. So basically I could wait until I have the money for a new bike or I could get a used bike and put good parts on it periodically for the same price. Plus if I ever want to upgrade the frame I could always just swap most of the parts if not all.

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 22:00 Quote
if you can spend 2100, get the Scott Voltage Fr20. if you cant get that extra 100, go for the Scott Voltages Fr10. its 1800 and switch out the fork for a 66 or a 36.. or if you want to be patient, you could build up a demo, like get a 07 frame with parts and build from that

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 22:50 Quote
I think a Demo 7 would be your best option for a first FR/DH bike. It has a single crown fork unlike the Demo 8.

Posted: Oct 3, 2009 at 12:23 Quote
A Demo may be a little over kill for Moab. A bike like a SX Trail, Giant ReignX or something more freeride with 6-7" travel would better suit you as they climb and traverse a lot better than a full DH bike or a heavy FR bike like a Demo7

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 at 19:10 Quote
freerydscott wrote:
A Demo may be a little over kill for Moab. A bike like a SX Trail, Giant ReignX or something more freeride with 6-7" travel would better suit you as they climb and traverse a lot better than a full DH bike or a heavy FR bike like a Demo7

I agree expecialy for a beginer into the world of DH FR. I would by a nice used bike for maybe $1200 and then if i really liked the way it was going upgrade from there.

I would look on craigslist and even on the PB classifieds there is usualy a good deal there.

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 at 19:39 Quote
get a giant ac they are cheap and are perfect for beginners, they pretty much do it all and for 500-1000 bucks you really cant beat it

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 at 19:44 Quote
tup
dereka15 wrote:
get a giant ac they are cheap and are perfect for beginners, they pretty much do it all and for 500-1000 bucks you really cant beat it

too bad you sold yours already tup

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 at 19:55 Quote
giant reign x2 would be a prefect bike, or any used giant reign in your price range. It does it all from Dh to XC. and has decent parts

Posted: Aug 7, 2010 at 23:33 Quote
Get a transition bottle rocket easy first bike that u can do it all on

Posted: Aug 11, 2010 at 13:14 Quote
Cmontjumper wrote:
if you can spend 2100, get the Scott Voltage Fr20. if you cant get that extra 100, go for the Scott Voltages Fr10. its 1800 and switch out the fork for a 66 or a 36.. or if you want to be patient, you could build up a demo, like get a 07 frame with parts and build from that
I think you mean the Fr30. The 10 would be more not less.
But I agree, a Voltage FR is the best way to go. The frame itself is very adaptable (in the freeride/slopestyle and DH range

Posted: Aug 12, 2010 at 5:52 Quote
voltage FR30 (or 20)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023460
Mobile Version of Website