Powered by Outside

Why do people keep getting new rigs for each season. If you get new rigs, post how much you waste.

PB Forum :: Downhill
Why do people keep getting new rigs for each season. If you get new rigs, post how much you waste.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 16:42 Quote
Most people i know that DH/FR has a bike for one season and after they sell it to get a newer one.

Whats the point in that.

One season gets you a couple of scratches, unless you had a major accident.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 16:47 Quote
Two words; disposible income.

cuz they want to and they have the money

i guess people are buying fro bikes which are meant to be light but sacrifice durability

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 16:48 Quote
some people just have the money, want all the new little details that are in the new bike, and want to look cool on a new bike. personally, i'm too broke, don't care about little details, and don't care what people think of me.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 16:48 Quote
Yes theres that too. This sport is mostly for people with high income but still. One friggin season man.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 16:57 Quote
noxy wrote:
Yes theres that too. This sport is mostly for people with high income but still. One friggin season man.

yeah i think its retarted too

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 17:01 Quote
Well that solves the mystery. All about looks, not about the geometry.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 17:01 Quote
Some people race, and why have the disadvantage of a older bike? Seriously, don't just bag on it.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 17:05 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Some people race, and why have the disadvantage of a older bike? Seriously, don't just bag on it.
Usually bike company's will never change there goemetry unless they really have too. If they change it, it will cost them a shit load since they have to re organize everything.

Tell me the BIG difference between the Team DH Norco 2007 and Team DH Norco 2008.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 17:06 Quote
new bike usually has some kind of new technology, same said for new parts, and like someone above said, the stuff some people buy wears out fast so instead of spending just as much replacing parts then why not go for a whole new ride?

some people also sell there one season used bikes for very cheap which helps other people who cannot afford the best stuff.

Mod
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 17:08 Quote
because it is a pain in the butt if you keep your bike around for too long. I am thinking about taking this system up. I am finding after 2ish years everything starts to crap out. My bike is 2 years old and I have had to (not just done it for fun) replace a frame, both brakes, pieces of hubs, etc. Lots of people who ride bikes hard (race level) and stuff will agree that it is harder and more expensive to maintain an older bike than it is a new one. PLus - buy a new bike sell it off after a year for like %60 of what you orignally paid - buy a new bike. That isn't too bad of a tradeoff for having a new bike every year.

Mod
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 17:13 Quote
Bikes take a lot of abuse and they depreciate almost as bad as cars. Therefore, if you only ride them for one season and sell them, you will get more money back as opposed to riding it for another season. I know you won't recover all of your money out of selling it used but it is better than riding two or three seasons then trying to sell it at a severely depreciated price. Also, technology is always changing within the mountainbike industry and people want the best of the best. Parts get lighter and more durable as years go on s there is always the need to upgrade.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 17:17 Quote
terriflow3-0 wrote:
because it is a pain in the butt if you keep your bike around for too long. I am thinking about taking this system up. I am finding after 2ish years everything starts to crap out. My bike is 2 years old and I have had to (not just done it for fun) replace a frame, both brakes, pieces of hubs, etc. Lots of people who ride bikes hard (race level) and stuff will agree that it is harder and more expensive to maintain an older bike than it is a new one. PLus - buy a new bike sell it off after a year for like %60 of what you orignally paid - buy a new bike. That isn't too bad of a tradeoff for having a new bike every year.
Hmmm... ok
Santa-Cruz V-10 is around 6000$
You buy one and sell it at the end of the season and keep buying another one.
So... -6000+0.6x600=-24000
24000-6000=-3600
Your still wasting 3 600$ a year, that does not include upgrades and damage.
That 3 600$ a year can buy a lot of stuff mate.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 17:20 Quote
noxy wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Usually bike company's will never change there goemetry unless they really have too. If they change it, it will cost them a shit load since they have to re organize everything.

Tell me the BIG difference between the Team DH Norco 2007 and Team DH Norco 2008.

Very little between the Norcos. But who said they were just updating the year of their bike? They could be switching brands. There are new inovations put out every year.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008780
Mobile Version of Website