Fox Float R inquiry

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox Float R inquiry
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 13:59 Quote
I have a Fox Float R rear shock on my 2005 Norco 4by. I recently took it to my LBS, wiht the bike of course, to get some more air put into it, as it was too soft. The technician then said that he could only put about 280 PSI into the shock, and the seal on his pump would begin to leak.

I weigh around 240 lbs, and was wondering If there is a possibility to get enough air in the shock, so it does not bottom out, when I just ever so simply bunny hop my bike ( ALMOST bottoms it)

Thank you very much, and if there is any info you need me to give, feel free to ask.

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:03 Quote
300 psi is the max on the float. But you really shouldn't need that much air pressure to get correct sag.

How much sag do you get with 280 psi?

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:04 Quote
crohnsy wrote:
300 psi is the max on the float. But you really shouldn't need that much air pressure to get correct sag.

How much sag do you get with 280 psi?

probably around Just under/around 3/4 of the travel

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:05 Quote
so when you sit on your bike the shock sags 75% of the shocks stroke?

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:06 Quote
maybe imbetween half and 3/4 yeah

Its a norco 4by aswell, 3.9" of travel

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:07 Quote
then its one of 2 things;

you either don't have 280 psi in the shock. sometimes if you dont thread the shock pump on properly it wont actually put air in the shock and then the pressure inside the shock ramps up really high and quickly.

or you weigh alot more than 240 lbs.

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
ok, so just try refilling the shock?

And just to let you know, I just checked all of my/ the bikes sag weight etc

I weight 237 lbs, and the sag looks closer to JUST under half of the travel. If I bounce on the bike, it goes to about 75% If I jump off of a curb, closer to 90%, and just regular DJing its bottomed

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:16 Quote
you are running too much sag. usually 20-30% of the stroke depending on bike and riding style.

Your shock doesnt have any compression adjustments so you'll have to make do with the compression its set at. you could play around maybe run less sag more air pressure and it'll take more force to use what travel you have.

it all depends on your riding style

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:18 Quote
How do I adjust the sag??? This is the first air shock ive ever used lol

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:21 Quote
take your shock pump and put more or less air in your shock as required.

more air = less sag

less air = more sag

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:22 Quote
oh ok, thanks!!

greatfully appriciated lol

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:25 Quote
Damn...just air it up is all I can say...try ramping the rebound a bit slower, that wil get some stiction in there...but too much of it sucks...nvmd..that wasn't very helpful. You can try it if you'd like though.

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:26 Quote
haha thanks Rattsl

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:35 Quote
Welcome, my two centavos

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 14:36 Quote
haha 2 cents

well, hopefully iI can get this thing to work..

SO how much pressure should i be running fo my weight?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010432
Mobile Version of Website