loose crank arm

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
loose crank arm
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 13:34 Quote
i have a Howitzer BB/bashguard with hussefelt arms off a norco and recently changed it to a a gary fisher. ever since the arm with bashguard wont stay bolted on tight, tried everything from locktite to new bolts. lol wtf is going on?

Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 13:38 Quote
i dont know, my friend has the same problem with the same crank. maybe some bolt seelent

Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 13:40 Quote
bent the isis bits i did it on mine get a hollowtech crank (Y)

Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 13:45 Quote
This is very common for truvative cranks. If you did the locktite properly(clean off grease before applying, let it sit for a minimum of 24 hours...)And it still comes loose then pretty much the only thing you can do is carry around an allen key when you ride to tighten it every once and a while. I have the same problem and that's what I do.

Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 13:46 Quote
i had this problem with my truvativs i tried everything still they kept coming loose

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 13:48 Quote
i hate truvative cranks. my bikes crank falls off all the time so i carry around a huge allen key when i ride Cool . I'm never getting truvative again, ill go with shimano or raceface from now on.

Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 13:49 Quote
i bent my truvativ crank arms in about an inch on both sides form hard landings and falls. and my guard also comes loose about once a week.

Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 14:03 Quote
I have the same problem with my crank, and carry an allen set wherever I go. Haven't got to the point of buying new cranks yet.

Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 14:34 Quote
go to the hardware store and get some jb weld kwik set it's strong enough to hold the cranks whale riding and you can still remove the cranks wen it's time to get them off put on the splines NOT THREADS or bolts

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 14:46 Quote
Just to clarify, is your bashguard that is coming lose or the actual cranks?
If is the acutal cranks (the bolt that goes into the bottombracket) try cleaning the bolt and wrapping it with Teflon (plumbers tape, the white stuff). This solved the problem of my Truvativ cranks coming lose. (Never had a problem with Race Facetup )

How are you tightening your bashguard on? I have seen people try to tighten them without holding the back of the bolt with a large slotted srewdriver, only using friction, only to have the bolt come loose withing a short time.

Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 17:37 Quote
shorerider16 wrote:
Just to clarify, is your bashguard that is coming lose or the actual cranks?
If is the acutal cranks (the bolt that goes into the bottombracket) try cleaning the bolt and wrapping it with Teflon (plumbers tape, the white stuff). This solved the problem of my Truvativ cranks coming lose. (Never had a problem with Race Facetup )

How are you tightening your bashguard on? I have seen people try to tighten them without holding the back of the bolt with a large slotted srewdriver, only using friction, only to have the bolt come loose withing a short time.

its not the bashguard, its the bashguard side arm. left side stays on but right is being a bitch. ill try the plumber tape though. thanks!

O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
I'm having the same problem as everyone else here. The Truvative crank on both of my bikes keeps falling off so i carry around an 8mm all the time... I'm never buying this kind again. Saint or raceface all the way.

Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 16:29 Quote
it happened to my 07 hussefelts and it got loose all the time, and one day it just fell off, turns out the thread of the bolt was stripped so i replaced the bolt and its fine now

Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 16:35 Quote
i had the exact same problem with my truvs, i just overtightened loads (standing on the allen key)

but i recently upgraded to raceface-- i suggest you do the same

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017069
Mobile Version of Website