Your Snake Encounters

PB Forum :: Downhill
Your Snake Encounters
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 2:38 Quote
Post here about encounters you have had with snakes and what happened.

I thought it would be an interesting thing to post about and hopefully this turns out to be an interesting thread with a lot of stories.

I'll start.

I wasn't actually on a trial at the time, but was just riding around the river with my head down and I happened to look up just as there was a snake crossing the path about a foot in front of me. I wasn't going fast enough to kill it if I ran over it and my instant reaction was to bunny hop. I bunny hopped over it and it hissed up at me and missed my foot by about half an inch before I landed and rode off faster than I have ever ridden before.

It scared the living crap out of me.

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 2:40 Quote
HAHAHAHAHA Aussies must have the best stories for this post as we do have the top 20 deadliest snakes in the world! For me i see them all the time and dont have any specific stories.

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 2:43 Quote
aussie4x wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA Aussies must have the best stories for this post as we do have the top 20 deadliest snakes in the world! For me i see them all the time and dont have any specific stories.

Yeah I have never actually seen one on a trial however with Spring hitting it is only a matter of time. I plan to ride more than ever through this spring as it will be my first hot season with a full suspension bike.

I bought my A-Line in Autumn and local trials were always moist and didn't touch it through winter so time to give it a thrashing.

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 2:43 Quote
i have a pet snake so i dont realy mind about seeing the riding (theres even a brown snake hole in the landing of 1 of my fav jumps that i hit all the time)

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 2:46 Quote
piinkbike wrote:
i have a pet snake so i dont realy mind about seeing the riding (theres even a brown snake hole in the landing of 1 of my fav jumps that i hit all the time)

If you see a snake, what is it you're actually meant to do?

I don't know much about them.

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 2:55 Quote
A snake will move long before you see it as it will hear the vibration from your tires, but if it is there just go around it, they arent out to bite you. Unless its a king brown! Snakes arent a problem, most common i see are harmless pythons.
steve695 wrote:
piinkbike wrote:

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 3:04 Quote
aussie4x wrote:
A snake will move long before you see it as it will hear the vibration from your tires, but if it is there just go around it, they arent out to bite you. Unless its a king brown! Snakes arent a problem, most common i see are harmless pythons.
steve695 wrote:
piinkbike wrote:

lol well the snake I hopped over seemed pretty angry and didn't move lol sort of my own fault for not looking ahead.

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 3:07 Quote
I was commuting home from a late night and took a shortcut through a swamp. I'd ridden it many times and knew it was suspect for snakes - right next to a canefield. I approached a pinch climb and on either side was six foot high guinea grass, I decided to walk my bike up as I'd had a few. I had a plastic bag on my handlebars and took a step into the track. Suddenly I heard a rustling noise- not sure if it was the plastic bag or the grass, so to be safe I pushed my bike in first in front of me I then stared at the ground and although it was very dark I thought I could see something so I inched my bike towards the dark mass on the trail in front. Suddenly I heard this, "ting, ting" that noise was a snake striking my wheels! (actually my spokes)I jumped back at least ten metres (30ft) in a single bound, then I realised I had to get my bike I couldn't see the ground nor where the snake was. I plucked up my courage and got close enough to the opening of the trail to reach the bike and got the hell out of there. Scared the crap outa me.

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 3:11 Quote
Loneryda wrote:
I was commuting home from a late night and took a shortcut through a swamp. I'd ridden it many times and knew it was suspect for snakes - right next to a canefield. I approached a pinch climb and on either side was six foot high guinea grass, I decided to walk my bike up as I'd had a few. I had a plastic bag on my handlebars and took a step into the track. Suddenly I heard a rustling noise- not sure if it was the plastic bag or the grass, so to be safe I pushed my bike in first in front of me I then stared at the ground and although it was very dark I thought I could see something so I inched my bike towards the dark mass on the trail in front. Suddenly I heard this, "ting, ting" that noise was a snake striking my wheels! (actually my spokes)I jumped back at least ten metres (30ft) in a single bound, then I realised I had to get my bike I couldn't see the ground nor where the snake was. I plucked up my courage and got close enough to the opening of the trail to reach the bike and got the hell out of there. Scared the crap outa me.

Holy crap you had an encounter with the ting tings. Seriously tho, glad your ok.

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 3:14 Quote
Loneryda wrote:

Holy hell that would scare the living crap out of me.

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 3:32 Quote
Living in North Queensland you learn that snakes are every where and we here in my town have the top two or three most poisionous snakes in the world including the Eastern Brown and the Tiapan. If these bite you-even with antivenom you will suffer long term nerve damage. The Tiapan antivenom was developed by a man here in Mackay called Ram Chandra. He was able to help develop the antivenom because the snakes are so numerous in this area.
I was 14 riding moto with a mate and we rode through this old trail, across the trail was a large log and we both rode over it. It felt kinda weird as we went over so we doubled back to check it out.
Turned out our log was actually the largest python I have ever seen. It was rounder than a large mans leg Easily capable of swallowing a child. Its eyes where like 50c pieces or silver dollars for you yanks. Steve erwin would have orgasmed at the sight of this. It was the eighties and back then the only good snake was a dead one but we wern't getting any where near this thing with a head about 10 inches wide and at least 30 ft long all we could do was throw rocks at it as it slowly moved into the long grass. A snake like that would have been at least thirty years old and no it wasn't a carpet-snake it was a creamy /silvery colour. At the time we didn't even know it was a python it was the scariest snake you could ever see for real man. I would have made a grown man s--t. In no way would I describe this snake as a harmless python. This snake could eat your whole family and smile at you while you wet your pants!

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 3:39 Quote
Loneryda wrote:
Living in North Queensland you learn that snakes are every where and we here in my town have the top two or three most poisionous snakes in the world including the Eastern Brown and the Tiapan. If these bite you-even with antivenom you will suffer long term nerve damage. The Tiapan antivenom was developed by a man here in Mackay called Ram Chandra. He was able to help develop the antivenom because the snakes are so numerous in this area.
I was 14 riding moto with a mate and we rode through this old trail, across the trail was a large log and we both rode over it. It felt kinda weird as we went over so we doubled back to check it out.
Turned out our log was actually the largest python I have ever seen. It was rounder than a large mans leg Easily capable of swallowing a child. Its eyes where like 50c pieces or silver dollars for you yanks. Steve erwin would have orgasmed at the sight of this. It was the eighties and back then the only good snake was a dead one but we wern't getting any where near this thing with a head about 10 inches wide and at least 30 ft long all we could do was throw rocks at it as it slowly moved into the long grass. A snake like that would have been at least thirty years old and no it wasn't a carpet-snake it was a creamy /silvery colour. At the time we didn't even know it was a python it was the scariest snake you could ever see for real man. I would have made a grown man s--t.

Love you wording. You are talking about the inland taipan as apposed to the costal. Steve Irwin certinly would have orgasmed at that python haha. Nice

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 5:07 Quote
I'm so glad we don't have anything as dangerous as you have in Oz here in the UK. I've had one close call, and I still nearly soiled myself - and that was only an Adder.

Riding along some singletrack at Woodbury Common near Exeter, misjudged a fork in the trail and wiped out over the bars into the scrub. Stood up and brushed myself off and an Adder slithered out from *between* my feet - if I didn't land on him, I can't have missed him by much. Don't know who was more scared, me or him, but it scared the $h!t outta me! Eek

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 5:14 Quote
i was going down some stairs and jumping them in this old factory, and found this guy:
Views: 16,179    Faves: 0    Comments: 65

sadly i have no videos of the riding Razz

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 at 5:18 Quote
I stash my shovel in bushes usually, and I got to my trail and went to the shovels, and as I pulled the first shovel out, a snake just slithered out of the bush away from me and I pegged it away.

Ugh disgusting creatures
f*cking hate them

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015049
Mobile Version of Website