Your most annoying bike shop employee/experience and why?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Your most annoying bike shop employee/experience and why?
Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 10:19 Quote
Sent my bike in for a tune up recently and got a call telling me to pick it up at 6:00, which is closing time. I get there with time to spare and a mechanic goes to get my bike. As I'm waiting, another mechanic tells me they are closed and I need to leave. I told him I had been helped already and will be out in a minute only to get the snarky reply, "Well thanks for coming in when we are closed." I've also been lectured by their owner for not supporting local businesses because I brought in some used brakes for service and they were in the box the PB seller shipped them in. Sorry but what do you and your employees do with old gear when it gets upgraded? Frame it on the wall? Chuck em in the scrap heap?

They have one awesome sales guy who never upsells and a good selection of parts but there's about 4 other shops in town so my business has already gone elsewhere for repairs.

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 11:34 Quote
My brother had a bike for 2 months and the chain snapped,then the shop refused to fix it on warranty! He hadn't abused the bike at all the shop said as his headset was a little tight the chain snapping was obviously due to neglect!
Ended up having to pay to get the bike back but they've lost our custom!

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 11:47 Quote
fxrextreme wrote:
My brother had a bike for 2 months and the chain snapped,then the shop refused to fix it on warranty! He hadn't abused the bike at all the shop said as his headset was a little tight the chain snapping was obviously due to neglect!
Ended up having to pay to get the bike back but they've lost our custom!

A chain is a wear and tear part. There is no warranty unless you can prove a clear manufacturing defect.

I dont blame them for not fixing it for free. There are far too many variables that can cause a chain to break.

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 12:51 Quote
I wish all my chains had a warranty that covered any type of break...

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 14:15 Quote
Especially when they shift under load and bend the links, obviously warranty.

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 14:18 Quote
Yeah but the bike was only 2 months old and had light use! Was it really worth losing a customer over £8? Accusing my brother of neglecting the bike wasn't true either

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 14:45 Quote
Yeah but I want chain warranty lol

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 15:32 Quote
Alright I retract everything I said.happy?

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 16:09 Quote
Very happy. Demanding wear and tear warranty is an annoying customer experience. Its like popping a tube and wondering why it isnt covered by warranty

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 20:03 Quote
I'll also say some customers are more trouble than they're worth. If they're going to be a headache and yell and scream warranty at every worn part you are better off letting them go elsewhere.

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 22:01 Quote
Went into a local shop, I bent my mech hanger. They had a new one, cool! They said they would throw it on for me NC.
Im browsing around, 10 mins later, they are adjusting the sh!t out of my derailleur. Im wondering why.... 10 more minutes I ask whats up. The "mechanic" is clearly frustrated. He says, "Which gears do you use the most?" (Holy. F@#K.)
My reply.."All of them" His reply, and I shit you not.."Ugh, I was afraid you'd say that." lol lol lol I politely said I would sort it out at home and did in about 2 minutes.
Man... I still go there, but no toucha my bike...

Posted: Sep 14, 2016 at 9:15 Quote
So last year I went into a local bike shop to get a new hydraulic brake line. when I asked the guy how much it would be he told me he wasn't sure and had to get the mechanic to talk to me. After a few minutes the mechanic came out and tried to tell me it would be hundreds of dollars to replace the line and did everything he could to try and sell me a brand new brake off the shelf... I took my bike and left the store and have never been back.

Found a new line at another shop in town for 50 dollars..

Posted: Sep 14, 2016 at 11:58 Quote
Michalofsky wrote:
So last year I went into a local bike shop to get a new hydraulic brake line. when I asked the guy how much it would be he told me he wasn't sure and had to get the mechanic to talk to me. After a few minutes the mechanic came out and tried to tell me it would be hundreds of dollars to replace the line and did everything he could to try and sell me a brand new brake off the shelf... I took my bike and left the store and have never been back.

Found a new line at another shop in town for 50 dollars..

New deore off CRC is usually $50 lol

Posted: Sep 14, 2016 at 13:58 Quote
You didn't buy it from here....... so I can't can't and won't help you.... I said seriously? It needs a tune up. I just moved into the state what do you expect me to do buy a new bike every time I move? walked out and never went back.

Posted: Sep 15, 2016 at 7:46 Quote
lycokayaker wrote:
You didn't buy it from here....... so I can't can't and won't help you.... I said seriously? It needs a tune up. I just moved into the state what do you expect me to do buy a new bike every time I move? walked out and never went back.
This attitude. Just shut up and take my money ffs!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.084212
Mobile Version of Website