How do I take apart my bike?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How do I take apart my bike?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 at 21:18 Quote
Well... um... I'm sorta new. I've messed around with my bike a bit, but I'm afraid to take it apart altogether in case I can't put it back together. Does anyone have a tutorial on how to take apart/put together a bike?

Posted: Nov 26, 2009 at 21:39 Quote
Depends on the parts/bike. Be more specific and I think I can help you out.

EDIT: If you want tutorials just look them up on Youtube. There's a few helpful video's that I found.

Posted: Nov 26, 2009 at 21:58 Quote
loosen the parts to take it apart then tighten them to put it back together.

Posted: Nov 26, 2009 at 22:24 Quote
Your best option is to go to a bike shop or look up videos on Youtube. The bike shop would probably be a better option though.

Posted: Nov 26, 2009 at 23:13 Quote
Apart from the above excellent suggestions...

Don't go too deep all at once, e.g. don't take your cranks off AND your BB out in the one session. Take your cranks off and after a few times when you can put them back on okay and remember how to do it then start on the BB.

When you take things off, put them down in a safe place in the order they came off.

Take photos with your phone BEFORE and DURING deconstruction as a backup. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Remember, it is no use stripping down that rear derailler if you don't know how to set one up. Walk before you can run.

If you are stripping down the left pedal, leave the right pedal intact in case you can't figure out how the left goes back together, then you can use the right pedal for reference.

The Park Tools website has many excellent instructions. Search forums too.

Get a lot of cotton rags and clean the hell out of everything and use the right oil/grease to re-install it all.

Use the right tool for the job!

Ten minutes into the ride, check each bolt you last played with - just in case.

Posted: Nov 28, 2009 at 21:52 Quote
hoiboy wrote:
Well... um... I'm sorta new. I've messed around with my bike a bit, but I'm afraid to take it apart altogether in case I can't put it back together. Does anyone have a tutorial on how to take apart/put together a bike?

Why do you need to take your bike apart? If it's running fine and your new to things just leave it be till you break a part or somethin like that.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010870
Mobile Version of Website