Profile hub on DJ bike

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Profile hub on DJ bike
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 14:02 Quote
Bikes with gears have way less chain tension, as well as chainguides and derailleurs.

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 14:03 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Bikes with gears have way less chain tension, as well as chainguides and derailleurs.
not really... depends on how you put your rear wheel in your frame and how much you pull it in... most of the time less tension

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 14:05 Quote
OK. If you have access to a bike with a derailleur, go put it in one the biggest rings, front and rear. Now poke the chain upwards. Tell me how much it moves. Then try to do the same thing with a singlespeed bike.

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 14:09 Quote
crs-one wrote:
OK. If you have access to a bike with a derailleur, go put it in one the biggest rings, front and rear. Now poke the chain upwards. Tell me how much it moves. Then try to do the same thing with a singlespeed bike.
meh... the chain is under constant tension with a derailleur where as on an ss setup the chain is just "hung" over the two sprockets... for example an old pic of my bike when the chain was loosish and you can see it sagging a bit... therefore less tension Smile
photo

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 14:30 Quote
caravanking wrote:
demo-9 wrote:
A correct chainline is over rated. I mean who wants a chain to actually line up and not skip? Ha. Go make your spacers and report back. Then report on how quickly your chain snaps and/or the hub blows up.

Also good luck dishing that wheel to accomodate the 15mm of spacer.
tbf chainline is a load of shit... think about bikes with gears for example

go and ride a single speed with bad chainline then. itll end in tears

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 14:36 Quote
davemt56 wrote:
caravanking wrote:
demo-9 wrote:
A correct chainline is over rated. I mean who wants a chain to actually line up and not skip? Ha. Go make your spacers and report back. Then report on how quickly your chain snaps and/or the hub blows up.

go and ride a single speed with bad chainline then. itll end in tears
only if there is too much slack in the chain .. if its not too loose there is no reason the chain should come off not. the driver will be what, maybe an inch further away if you have the rim dished in the centre of the hub hut if you dish it to the left flange and you run the hub with all the spacers on the left side of the axle it should be fine. my chainline isnt perfect and i doubt many peoples are

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 15:04 Quote
I ran a slightly (by around 6-10mm) off chainline on one of my old Specialized frames, because it has an offset rear end. The result was I wore through chainrings at a ridiculous rate.

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 15:14 Quote
Well I am officially throwing in the towel. I don't care to deal with ignorance. If you can't understand why chainline is important on a single speed and be able to comprehend the difference from a SS to a derailleured bike, then I am wasting my time.

Oh and for the record the chainline on both of my DJ are PERFECT. There is a reason why and you, unfortunately, need to learn a valuable lesson on your own. Hopefully when your chain snaps, your teeth stay in your head and your nads don't land on the top tube.

I will stay tuned to see the carnage report. Good Luck man.

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 15:18 Quote
caravanking wrote:
demo-9 wrote:

think logically here, they have a chain made for the gearing, also it is railed there for chain line is still straight

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 15:27 Quote
and the importance of this is ... i dont care... ive been running "off" chainlines for years and nothing has ever come of it..... think i snapped a chain one about a year ago and thats it but i usually buy a new chain every year or so anyway. as for sprockets mine are fine and no sign of them being too worn on the sides of the teeth. so i cant really see why its a massive deal to have them 100% spot on.

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 15:30 Quote
Please end this thread and create a new one to have an argument of chainlength/chainlines.

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 15:47 Quote
frank-dave wrote:
Please end this thread and create a new one to have an argument of chainlength/chainlines.
think the point of this thread was to be to see if a bmx spaced hub can be fitted onto a mtb spaced frame... obv chainline is an issue so its kind of a debate ???

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 at 4:00 Quote
And yet the author of this thread last commented on Dec 6th 2009.
We're now in 2010.

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 at 14:25 Quote
frank-dave wrote:
And yet the author of this thread last commented on Dec 6th 2009.
We're now in 2010.
oh sorry god ial just go out buy a calendar... now i remember why i stopped commenting on this forum over a year ago... its a joke

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 at 14:27 Quote
Someone's butthurt.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016483
Mobile Version of Website