South Africa

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 11:43 Quote
Holy crap.

I paid 10k for mine with a boxxer team doing the steering.

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 11:48 Quote
Manitou Swinger.

I Think that is the standard shock that comes with the bike.

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 11:58 Quote
Is that the 2004 model, cause the one at willie engelbrecht has some weird shock (don't know what brand) with no reservoir. It looks like a romic without the red coil.

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 12:12 Quote
my friend has a ac frame for sale
call him on 083 302 8969
and his name is Matthew

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 14:23 Quote
I'm almost sure the AC's do not have a lifetime warranty, well that's what they told me when i owned mine. It did have a 5 year one as i think is standard for Giant and you have to be the first owner of the bike for that to be valid.I know this because it was a problem to swop out my brake when it was faulty and still under warranty but i was not the original owner even though the bike was less than 6 months old at the time.

Just give Brad your details and ask him to give you a shout when the bike comes in or just call the number they guy just posted.

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 4:09 Quote
Devinc wrote:
I'm almost sure the AC's do not have a lifetime warranty, well that's what they told me when i owned mine. It did have a 5 year one as i think is standard for Giant and you have to be the first owner of the bike for that to be valid.I know this because it was a problem to swop out my brake when it was faulty and still under warranty but i was not the original owner even though the bike was less than 6 months old at the time.

Just give Brad your details and ask him to give you a shout when the bike comes in or just call the number they guy just posted.

Of course you need to be the first owner, that's why I'm thinking of buying the AC frame off the bike at Willie, they will be able to make a plan. The guys at Action Cycling told me that the AC has a lifetime warranty, and that it happened before that some guy brought in an AC with a broken chainstay, and Giant replaced his frame immediately with a Reign X. I'm also a bit skeptic about this, but that's what they said.

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 5:44 Quote
Howzit guys

About time a SA thread got started on pinkbike!

Just to clear things up, Playgrounds in Paarl is OFF LIMITS, unless there is a race. Access only from the tar road before yellow gate at bottom of Playgrounds. If you are caught, except in a DH race, your bike will be confiscated!!! There are 2 tracks but not for long, cause the pine trees in the area are getting chopped and soon the area will be closed. Heard a few stories that the area gonna be developed into a mini mtb park...so who knows! But dont believe everything you hear. So far its just 3 of us looking after the tracks. Please stick to the rules and don't make changes to the tracks.

Anyway, Downhill is going backwards at a fast pace due to a lack of interest in building/maintaining tracks and support from the bike industry.
I dont know about you guys, but I am getting really scared at the pace our tracks are getting closed. Eden is the latest victim and soon other tracks Frown
WPMBA has done an incredible job in 2007 to save the sport, so in 2008 things should look better. Well the UK had the same problems and now they have alot of tracks and 250+ riders at races!! So things should eventually get better.

Dirtopia is now part of IMBA and that is a great thing to ALL mtb. Meurant should have models and ideas on how to get new tracks and how to maintain them.

Some awesome reading material:
www.wideopenmag.co.uk
www.edgemtbmag.co.uk/2008site/index.htm
www.extrememtb.co.za

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 6:20 Quote
saffa wrote:
Howzit guys

About time a SA thread got started on pinkbike!

Just to clear things up, Playgrounds in Paarl is OFF LIMITS, unless there is a race. Access only from the tar road before yellow gate at bottom of Playgrounds. If you are caught, except in a DH race, your bike will be confiscated!!! There are 2 tracks but not for long, cause the pine trees in the area are getting chopped and soon the area will be closed. Heard a few stories that the area gonna be developed into a mini mtb park...so who knows! But dont believe everything you hear. So far its just 3 of us looking after the tracks. Please stick to the rules and don't make changes to the tracks.

Anyway, Downhill is going backwards at a fast pace due to a lack of interest in building/maintaining tracks and support from the bike industry.
I dont know about you guys, but I am getting really scared at the pace our tracks are getting closed. Eden is the latest victim and soon other tracks Frown
WPMBA has done an incredible job in 2007 to save the sport, so in 2008 things should look better. Well the UK had the same problems and now they have alot of tracks and 250+ riders at races!! So things should eventually get better.

Dirtopia is now part of IMBA and that is a great thing to ALL mtb. Meurant should have models and ideas on how to get new tracks and how to maintain them.

Some awesome reading material:
www.wideopenmag.co.uk
www.edgemtbmag.co.uk/2008site/index.htm
www.extrememtb.co.za

I agree, we shouldn't be tempted to ride and trespass on the courses that are closed, otherwise the landowners wouldn't allow races there. I'll do my best to search around for good spots, as I already saw a few great places to build tracks, but didn't yet ask permission. If there is any trackbuilding or maintanance just notify me and I'll be more than willing to help. I'll even ask some friends to join in aswell.
I'm not really stessed, because if we have Meurant and his incredible trailbuilding knowledge on our side, we'll be guaranteed for great success.

PS. IS EDEN CLOSED!!! Don't tell me this is happening!! Why, when, how and who, please?

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 6:36 Quote
Yup Eden is closed Frown

Damn those tik using bastards!

So there you have it...tracks getting closed just like that.

Yeah we need to stick together and help out when WPMBA have trail maintenance days.
But then on 2 weekends ago a track maintenance was taking place at Jonkers and only 3 people pithed up!!! Whats up with that? If we cant take responsibility on to cleaning our tracks then Downhill and freeriding will vanish. Dont wait for Meurant to do it, he has limited time and resources.

The xc guys realised this at Tokai and are working with Meurant to get there tracks clean.

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 6:41 Quote
Why is eden closed; and what does it have to do with tik? And if there is any maintanance days, post it on pinkbike and other sites, then I'll come and more guys will show up.

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 10:22 Quote
t3aSeR wrote:
Devinc wrote:

Of course you need to be the first owner, that's why I'm thinking of buying the AC frame off the bike at Willie, they will be able to make a plan. The guys at Action Cycling told me that the AC has a lifetime warranty, and that it happened before that some guy brought in an AC with a broken chainstay, and Giant replaced his frame immediately with a Reign X. I'm also a bit skeptic about this, but that's what they said.
nope, giant will do this. i know someone who snapped his ac at the seatpost and he payed in a lil extra and he got the freeride glory frame....
then it got stolen so the insurance paid out and with that money he got a Cannondale perp. wat a good choice i say!

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 10:26 Quote
t3aSeR wrote:
Why is eden closed; and what does it have to do with tik? And if there is any maintanance days, post it on pinkbike and other sites, then I'll come and more guys will show up.
and eden isn't really closed, you just can't go in the usual place. u need to go in the right place. i was there last weekend.
the general rule that you must have when you go riding at any place, is leave it in the same state you found, if not better. this applies especially to dirt jumps! because there are guys who build these things and it takes years. then in one afternoon someone can come mess them up and that lil thing can take like 3 hours to fix. i speak from experience.

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 11:15 Quote
rockitonacannondale wrote:
t3aSeR wrote:
and eden isn't really closed, you just can't go in the usual place. u need to go in the right place. i was there last weekend.
the general rule that you must have when you go riding at any place, is leave it in the same state you found, if not better. this applies especially to dirt jumps! because there are guys who build these things and it takes years. then in one afternoon someone can come mess them up and that lil thing can take like 3 hours to fix. i speak from experience.

Thanx, I almost got a heart attack from eden being closed!

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 11:41 Quote
My father is from R.S.A., I went and visited once, seemed to have some prime locations you just have to make it yourself. I stayed pretty north though mostly durban then pietermaritzburg, maputo, and some place I went and camped in the bush for a week. lol I wished I had my bike but is was bloody hot to ride out their

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 11:52 Quote
bonzibryan wrote:
My father is from R.S.A., I went and visited once, seemed to have some prime locations you just have to make it yourself. I stayed pretty north though mostly durban then pietermaritzburg, maputo, and some place I went and camped in the bush for a week. lol I wished I had my bike but is was bloody hot to ride out their

Ja, you get used to the heat, although down here in the Western Cape is can get damn cold, but that's compared to the more northern areas.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020288
Mobile Version of Website