Specialized Big Hit 2009 Builds

PB Forum :: Downhill
Specialized Big Hit 2009 Builds
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 14:30 Quote
beaupre716 wrote:
willshiels wrote:
Class, I just remembered when they first released Saint and you needed the hub eh.. It's good if you can run the mechs on thier own now.

beaupre716 - Yeah man, the big "S" have certainly made a good effort tying to push fans of the Big Hit towards the demo, I love my Big Hit and love it's 8" rear end so I guess if I want 8" i'll have to go for the demo, or a Mondraker Kaiser!

I agree--seems like the Big Hit only gets proper attention from its fans, me being one of them. I've got an older Big Hit with the 8" link upgrade, one from the era before the Demo.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.mx775.com/bighit_1.jpg

That's nice man, they Totem's on the front?

I'm also a fan!
photo

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 14:31 Quote
willshiels wrote:
beaupre716 wrote:
willshiels wrote:
Class, I just remembered when they first released Saint and you needed the hub eh.. It's good if you can run the mechs on thier own now.

beaupre716 - Yeah man, the big "S" have certainly made a good effort tying to push fans of the Big Hit towards the demo, I love my Big Hit and love it's 8" rear end so I guess if I want 8" i'll have to go for the demo, or a Mondraker Kaiser!

I agree--seems like the Big Hit only gets proper attention from its fans, me being one of them. I've got an older Big Hit with the 8" link upgrade, one from the era before the Demo.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.mx775.com/bighit_1.jpg

That's nice man, they Totem's on the front?

I'm also a fan!
photo

thats a domain

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
Oh yeah, see it now.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 15:32 Quote
willshiels wrote:
photo

Nice one. The 40s must be sweet--I've heard lots of good things.

And yeah, it's a Domain 318 fork on mine. With most of the upgrades I've made, I've inadvertently copied the new Big Hit: Domain fork, 36/11-34 gearing, 750mm bar.

My 24" rear wheel is here to stay, though.Smile

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 15:53 Quote
heres mine currently 4 sale....i luv it but i bought an 09 demo so it doesnt get ridden and it should
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 3:07 Quote
Nothingshocking - Honestly, what are the imediate plus points that you noticed going from the BH - Demo? I know that the Demo should be less flexy, similar geo, more stable at higher speeds, but how much more fun is it compared to the BH?

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 5:52 Quote
Well the demo has a bit longer wheelbase so it does feel more stable, and handles like it's on rails. The lower standover on the demo is a plus and i feel it pedals a little better (but that's probably due to a better rear shock i have on the demo). Id say where i really noticed the difference right away was in the really fast burmy trails the demo is really fun and like i said earlier feels like it's on rails going through the fast tight brums. The only bad thing i can say about the demo is i tend to smash my pedals from it being a lower BB (the 2010 will be even worse because they lowered the BB more).

All and all there both fun bikes and if for some reason i had to get rid of the demo i wouldnt have a problem riding a Big hit again , there fun,fast and bomb proof and great for any level of rider i think ...unless your an elite level racer. The only thing i can really comment negative on campared to the demo is the higher standover, the interupted seat tube, it weights about 3-4lbs, and there not as pretty haha.

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 7:55 Quote
nothingsshocking wrote:
Well the demo has a bit longer wheelbase so it does feel more stable, and handles like it's on rails. The lower standover on the demo is a plus and i feel it pedals a little better (but that's probably due to a better rear shock i have on the demo). Id say where i really noticed the difference right away was in the really fast burmy trails the demo is really fun and like i said earlier feels like it's on rails going through the fast tight brums. The only bad thing i can say about the demo is i tend to smash my pedals from it being a lower BB (the 2010 will be even worse because they lowered the BB more).

All and all there both fun bikes and if for some reason i had to get rid of the demo i wouldnt have a problem riding a Big hit again , there fun,fast and bomb proof and great for any level of rider i think ...unless your an elite level racer. The only thing i can really comment negative on campared to the demo is the higher standover, the interupted seat tube, it weights about 3-4lbs, and there not as pretty haha.

Class, I think i'll be looking at a Demo at the start of next year, not that i'm unhappy with my BH, I just want to treat myself eh..

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 7:58 Quote
willshiels wrote:
nothingsshocking wrote:

Class, I think i'll be looking at a Demo at the start of next year, not that i'm unhappy with my BH, I just want to treat myself eh..

my demo was pretty much just an impulse buy

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 13:03 Quote
Any pictures of 2009 bighit builds?

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 21:42 Quote
walshe-boi wrote:
Any pictures of 2009 bighit builds?

Nah--can't (or shouldn't) swing a newer bike right now. Just for the sake of discussion, which model Big Hit is yours?

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 8:05 Quote
walshe-boi wrote:
BigHit 2

Nice. The two has nice components, but enough room to make improvements easily. I'd ride the bike a bit and see what--if anything--seems lacking. I'd consider a Boxxer if you do lots of DH-specific stuff, though in my experience the Domain is a good fork for lots of things. I saw another two that had switched some of the internals in his 302 Domain for that of a 318 (to get the adjustable compression dampening.) I'm not sure that's necessarily worth the effort, but it was interesting.

Oh, and first things first: find yourself a wider bar if it still has the stock 680mm (26.7 in.) bar on it. You can't go wrong throwing a 30-inch bar on and cutting it down to your preference, though I keep mine at full width.

I sat on an '09 Big Hit and a '10 Demo at a shop recently, and the difference in bars was striking. All of Specialized's gravity bikes come with a 750mm (29.5) wide bar in 2010.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 9:35 Quote
I havce got some new bars and grips,
element 780'sSmile feels so much nicer.
also getting a smaller rear casette because my one is HUGE!

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 20:37 Quote
walshe-boi wrote:
I havce got some new bars and grips,
element 780'sSmile feels so much nicer.
also getting a smaller rear casette because my one is HUGE!

Nice. I'd keep the bigger cassette myself for the occasional self-shuttle, but if you'll be doing mostly shuttles or park trips, then things should be good with a 12-25 or something.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017107
Mobile Version of Website