Powered by Outside

Hookworm vs TwinRail

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Hookworm vs TwinRail
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 16:34 Quote
Building up a new DJ/Street rig since my Slacker got stolen. Just wondering about the tyres. I had the Halo TwinRails on the Slacker and they were fantastic & super resistant to punctures. Just wondering if anyone rides Maxxis Hookworms and rates them highly? Or if anyone has ridden both and has pro/con opinions?

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 5:31 Quote
both those tyres are awful. If you want a good tyre get a set of table tops, they weigh half as much and are much better. They're expensive but worth it or you can get cheaper wire beaded versions. If you want a standard not to expensive tyre moto RTs are pretty good and hard wearing.

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 12:50 Quote
i've heard hookworms are terrible
but i really quite like my twinrails
roll super fast and i corner lower than my friend with his monster 2.4 holy rollers, or my friend with the table tops.

twinrails are underrated i think

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 12:58 Quote
Hookworms are not worth the money. They weigh far too much for what they are. The only real benefit to them is that their super heavy casing makes it difficult to pinch flat. Even when you do get a flat those tires are so overbuilt you can still ride on a very low pressure without damaging the rim. I ended up doing it once and that was the only pro I ever saw in those tires.

One day I got tired of the weight and picked up a cheap set of K-Rads and it literally felt like I was riding a completely different bike, taking that much weight off the wheels was night and day.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 5:08 Quote
Thanks guys Big Grin TwinRails it is, Fofl.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 9:40 Quote
Bad idea, don't touch twin rails with a fifty foot barge pole. I've had 4 and every single on of them exploded even though they were at the correct pressure. They're shite on any surface that isn't hardpacked dirt, are puncture magnets and don't last very long. If you want a set of good cheapish tires look at Schwalbe Table Top sports or DMR moto R/Ts. Anything other than twin rails.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 10:06 Quote
i haven't had mine blow out
i'm riding a 1.25 tube in a 2.2 tyre blown up to hard
i rarely ever ride hard packed dirt
i ride hard pack dirt with sand over it and they work perfectly.
never had a thorn puncture it either

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 20:58 Quote
I have no experience with the twin rails but recently tried out those hookworms.
I wouldn't completely dismiss them, they sort of are what they are.
They are crazy heavy with uber tuff sidewalls, you can def ride them with lower pressure.
I think they are pretty sticky on concrete/asphalt and corner excellent. I really feel like I can carve with them.
The downside of course is the enormous wt, but if you can live with that they aren't all that bad. If you can pick them up for cheap I say they they nice to have in the quiver.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 23:21 Quote
Hookworms = Thumbs Down

After 1 month of using them on my BMX, they lost all the thread and they are super heavy.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 23:33 Quote
i had hookworms and there was no Grip at all, i switched to Kenda Small Block eights and they are the best tyres i have ever had.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 23:38 Quote
Yeh Small Block 8's are really good. I have them on my 24" rigid.

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 at 6:11 Quote
I had TwinRails on my Slacker for over and year and they were absolutely brilliant. Rollers super fast, super grippy on any (dry) surface and never once had any sort of puncture at all. Even with Tescos own innertubes. Though, I thinkl all of the different colours have different compounds. I had the green ones and they were totally awesome but on CRC they explain about the different colours and how they all have different compounds and such. Possibly to do with the pigmentation of the rubber. Maybe if I'm switching back to black tyres I'd be better with TableTops or Small Block 8's or something.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010904
Mobile Version of Website