Will cutting my seat tube weaken my frame?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Will cutting my seat tube weaken my frame?
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 19:45 Quote
BSal wrote:
joexspocent92 wrote:
what do you mean cut the seat tube? isnt that the hole where the seat post goes in? so are you trying to increase standover height?

That is exactly what he is trying to accomplish.

Pay attention to where the seat post clamp is in these two pictures. Same frame. The first pic is the second day I had it. Cona Cowan large 17", I made it a 16".
photo
photo

Thank you, thats exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Smile

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 20:00 Quote
BSal wrote:
joexspocent92 wrote:
what do you mean cut the seat tube? isnt that the hole where the seat post goes in? so are you trying to increase standover height?

That is exactly what he is trying to accomplish.

Pay attention to where the seat post clamp is in these two pictures. Same frame. The first pic is the second day I had it. 08 Kona Cowan large 17", I made it a 16".
photo
photo

i suggest that he leaves it alone. or contact the bike manufacture if its ok or something. i go by the hillbilly term "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 20:09 Quote
joexspocent92 wrote:
i suggest that he leaves it alone. or contact the bike manufacture if its ok or something. i go by the hillbilly term "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

It is "broke" and hes trying to "fix" it. I did and it went well. Then came the day I had the $$ to get a frame with the GEO I wanted.

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 22:27 Quote
I'm sure if he's not rewelding any tubes and just reducing the seattube than he is probably fine, just make sure when ur cutting ot use an appropriate metal cutting blade as using something different or doing a rushed/poor job could cause small cracks and fractures not easily visble.

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 22:30 Quote
as long as you dont cut into the weld you'll be fine...its not gonna weaken your frame...I did it to my old old ironhorse i had back in the day.

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 22:38 Quote
Post a pic of your frame so we can see how much you wanna cut off it.

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 23:14 Quote
joram-adams wrote:
Post a pic of your frame so we can see how much you wanna cut off it.

Ok will do. Smile

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 23:22 Quote
photo
Best pic I could gather to show you what it is.
I wanna cut about an inch off (25.4mm)

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 23:42 Quote
I would be far more concerned about getting a non set back post then cutting the tube.

Ryan

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 23:44 Quote
veet-88 wrote:
I would be far more concerned about getting a non set back post then cutting the tube.

Ryan

Umm its not set back by that much...

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 23:46 Quote
Still a straight post would make a greater difference then trimming the tube.

Ryan

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 23:48 Quote
veet-88 wrote:
Still a straight post would make a greater difference then trimming the tube.

Ryan

Meh well i'm not prepared to pay for another post when that one perfect and if I cut the seat tube it will also make the frame an inch smaller so it would be 15.5inch rather 16.5. Yer?

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 23:51 Quote
Negetive because the top tube length will still be longer the same length. It's not worth the risk of weakening your from for suck a miniscuel change.

Ryan

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 23:53 Quote
veet-88 wrote:
Negetive because the top tube length will still be longer the same length. It's not worth the risk of weakening your from for suck a miniscuel change.

Ryan

Yer ok whatever I don't give rats arse what you have to say anymore. Sorry

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 23:57 Quote
Ok be stuck up, what the hell is the point in making a thread if your not going to consider/see the point in other peoples point of view. I am sitting here giving some simple straight forward thought to you that can prevent a frame failure that will make a far greater differance. But what ever cut it if your frame cracks I will be sure to laugh my ass off if you post it on here.

Ryan

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014177
Mobile Version of Website