What is a better rear shock, a air shock like the Fox DHX Air or a coil shock like the Fox DHX?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
What is a better rear shock, a air shock like the Fox DHX Air or a coil shock like the Fox DHX?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:20 Quote
I was wondering because I think that coil shocks are better for "hucking" it, but the air shocks are more in slopestyle bikes and light DJ bikes. Just wondering what is best for lite freeride.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:23 Quote
Fox1010 wrote:
I was wondering because I think that coil shocks are better for "hucking" it, but the air shocks are more in slopestyle bikes and light DJ bikes. Just wondering what is best for lite freeride.
well if your doing light freeride than you will prob want to do that one big drop or jump so i would recommend getting a medium travel DHX coil, so unless you are absolutely gunna be doing very light freeride then you should go for a medium travel shock.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:28 Quote
Gloryrider1994 wrote:
Fox1010 wrote:
well if your doing light freeride than you will prob want to do that one big drop or jump so i would recommend getting a medium travel DHX coil, so unless you are absolutely gunna be doing very light freeride then you should go for a medium travel shock.

The biggest step down that I have done is like 6 and a half feet, so...

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:31 Quote
Fox1010 wrote:
Gloryrider1994 wrote:
Fox1010 wrote:

well then its up to you, if you want a more fluid shock that is easy to adjustable go air, if you want one that can handle most stuff then go for coil.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:32 Quote
Gloryrider1994 wrote:
Fox1010 wrote:
Gloryrider1994 wrote:

well then its up to you, if you want a more fluid shock that is easy to adjustable go air, if you want one that can handle most stuff then go for coil.

iight thanks

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:33 Quote
An air shock will be much lighter than a coil shock.

However, a coil shock will have better small bump compliance and air shocks can be prone to building up stiction after use, making the suspension lose a bit of feel.

Air shocks are getting much better and I see no reason why not too run one if you want. As for the Fox shocks specifically I can't comment...

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
coil is more reliable and has a better feel over all,they use air for ss as they can up the pressure with in seconds,they are also harsher/stiffer in feel than coil shocks.

coil for everything unless you want to save weight,for me coil is worth the weight penalty for better feel.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:

However, a coil shock will have better small bump compliance and air shocks can be prone to building up stiction after use, making the suspension lose a bit of feel.

Air shocks are getting much better and I see no reason why not too run one if you want. As for the Fox shocks specifically I can't comment...

Whats a good air shock to put on a 08 Norco Shore 3?

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:35 Quote
Fox1010 wrote:
slipknot93dh wrote:

dhx 5.0 coil.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:35 Quote
Also Zocchi's Roco air WC is meant to be a brilliant shock...

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:36 Quote
marquis wrote:
Fox1010 wrote:
slipknot93dh wrote:

dhx 5.0 coil.
dont you mean DHX 5.0 air?

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:38 Quote
nope i meant coil.

the dhx 5.0 air is more reliable than there rp23.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:40 Quote
just go for a DHX coil Smile

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:41 Quote
marquis wrote:
nope i meant coil.

the dhx 5.0 air is more unrelible than there rp23.
i know but he wants an air shock, also i like coils better.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:42 Quote
Coil is much more progressive overall. Air is more linear.
Coil is more reliable(tried and tested), but air is easier to get "just right" as you don't have to worry about diff weight springs.

This is just based on my limited experience. I haven't been running my air shock long enough to have an opinion on the long term usage of air vs coil.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009895
Mobile Version of Website