24inch or 26inch dirt jump bike

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
24inch or 26inch dirt jump bike
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 8:34 Quote
swabz1984 wrote:
gutkrencher wrote:
swabz1984 wrote:
Go for the 26', when i was your age i was very small and had a spooky metalhead then changed to a pashley 24 mhz it was no wher near as good to ride as the being on a 26', we are all different though!

lol. Pashley mhz were pretty much cruisers, not really a modern 24" mtb. I'm not surprised you thought it felt bad. a decent 24" will feel like a more nimble 26" bike and be more suitable.

Haha, yeah true thats must of been why, it just never felt right so it put me off 24"! Maybe i should give a modern 24" inch ago then?

yeah the old spookys and pashleys aren't so up to date anymore. A decent 24" frame will feel very similar to a 26" but it'll handle quicker and be better due to its shorter wheelbase and more pumpable wheels. Theyre much better suited for jumps and chucking about.

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 8:37 Quote
What good 24" frames are out ther then? Its hard to imagine a better jump bike than my spooky i loved it, but i know ther probably is!

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 8:39 Quote
the spookys are awesome and were great back in the day but nowdays theres is better. I'm riding an NS suburban which is sick.

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 8:44 Quote
Cool, you got any pics of it? Do you ride mtb or bmx cranks, i used to have profiles on my Spooky but i've always wondered what the difference is if any of the two?

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 8:59 Quote
ive got some old pics on my profile, otherwise its got loads of new parts now.
I'm running profiles on my ns, theyre still one of the best cranksets around. I personally prefer bmx cranksets, they're a bit tougher than mtb cranks and usually a bit heavier. The other difference is that a bmx set will take a sprocket rather than chainrings which is good for a more micro drivetrain. Push fit Bmx bbs are better too (despite my ns having a euro/mtb bb) as they have bigger bearings.

Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 7:36 Quote
Hey guys. I'm 6'2 and I just got off a bmx. Should I go for 24 or 26. I'm leaning towards a 24 cuz it's bigger than the bmx and smaller than the 26 so lighter and easier to throw around
Opinions?

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 15:23 Quote
Depends what you want to do. If you exclusively ride dirt, definitely get a 26. If you ride street, I would lean towards the 24. Park, could do either way.

Something to consider is that there aren't many 24 frames, tires, and wheels available on the market these days.

Whatever you do don't get a 24 inch bmx cruiser.

Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 16:26 Quote
At your height, 26 might be the better of the 2 for an all around bike.

What matters is the geo of the frame

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 10:10 Quote
I personally ride a 24 and I'm almost 6 foot, I like them because they are lighter and easier to do tail spins.... Just personal opinion....... Don't get a cruiser
DK 24 in fully custum dirtjumper

Posted: Nov 28, 2014 at 17:16 Quote
Wow, lots and lots of I hate this and don't do that but really little reasoning. I'll toss in my 2c and give reasons why if it matters.

Personally I love 20" BMX bikes. They are the epitome of what a "stunt bike" should be. That being said, I was never really smooth on a 20 and always had an inkling for cruisers but for the most part hated the geo.. As has been said, BMX cruisers have not always had the best geometry because they were build with the same mindset that has been shown here. I'm big I need big wheels. So cruisers were built as big BMX bikes. Stupid.

Wheel size has exceedingly little to do with body size. Body size and personal preference may dictate frame size, but wheel size is a different ball park. Maybe you are a 6'4 gorilla and can't find a frame big enough to ride 20" wheels, OK fine. but that is rarely the case and there has been enough 6'2" gorillas on 20" BMX bikes to show that they are reasonable.

What wheel size does is affect how a bike handles, wheels create a massive amount of centrifugal force and it's been said every pound of rotational weight is about equal to ten pounds of static weight. So a bike with larger wheels will react slower and have more gyroscopic stability in the air.

20" wheels are stronger than 24s and 24s are stronger than 26s. In my own personal experience the difference in wheel flex between 20s and 24s is noticeable and hard to get used to, but going to 26s IN MY OPINION was horrid. The wheel flex I found going from 24s to 26s was worse than 20 to 24s. Also frames are stronger based on the same principals of 24s let you run shorter stays, shorter stays are stronger than long stays and will flex less, but that is really a pretty weak argument for wheel size choice.

So why 20s? Maneuverability and strength. Little bike, lots of room for legs in tricks.

Why not 20s? Too twitchy. 20" bikes generally have 74 to 75 degree head angles, cruisers generally 73 to 74 with some now at 74.5 but with the rotational mass of the wheel a lot of that twitchiness is gone. 24" MTBs usually have a head angle of 69 to 74, but other than that no real necessary difference from a cruiser with the exception of less bar height. 24s do take up a lot more room, you are more prone to buzz your forward foot possibly right off the pedal, as said before, more flex and in general a noticeable drop in strength.

Why 26s? Better rolling resistance. If you ride XC or DH go for it. Other than that IMO they take up way too much space, are unforgivably flexible and offer too much centrifugal weight. If someone can inform me of another advantage that I'm missing I may revise my dislike of the wheel size (my wife rides an XC bike with 26" wheels I don't make fun of her) in the DJ/ Street arena.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012006
Mobile Version of Website