Beginner jumping

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner jumping
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 13:56 Quote
Hi guys,

I'm new-ish to riding, do mainly downhill at the moment, and am comfortable on steep sections, or rocky sections, but only when I have both wheels on the ground. The guys I ride with (I'm a chick), have all been riding for years, and are awesome at jumping, so this is a pretty newbie question which I feel stupid asking them about. But, how do you learn to start jumping? I mentioned it to them, and they've been riding for so long it's second nature to them, and have no idea how to teach someone, or explain to someone how to jump. I was just wondering, would you reckon learning to bunny hop and manual and things properly is better before learning to jump? Or would it be better just to go ride table top jumps over and over until it feels more natural. Any thoughts (that aren't just, "ride more", 'cos I know I need to do that!) would be appreciated.

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 14:03 Quote
As you go off the lip you have to kindof 'bunnyhop'. Just keep practicing and you will get a feel for it.

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 14:04 Quote
go ride in your street, learn to bunnyhop (or at least the tschnique) and learn to jump off the slopes on curbs and things. get the technique on small stuff and then move up.

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 at 17:58 Quote
I would recommend finding a BMX or pump track to get the flow feel then work your way up....

Posted: Mar 23, 2010 at 14:25 Quote
im in the same boat as you and though i aint getting big air i find walking through a jump and getting right in my mind helps. try following one of the guys over the jump cos as humans its easier to follow than doing it alone. follow the man infronts line and watch as he does it.

Posted: Mar 23, 2010 at 14:27 Quote
dont try to litterally bunnyhop off the lip. you will end up being launched backwards kinda thing. just push in to the jump. practice on a skate park or tabletop.

Posted: Mar 23, 2010 at 14:39 Quote
Just practice, that's the only way you will get better, tiss hard to describe how to do it, so just go out there and get a feel for it, then you will learn to make the appropriate adjustments as you take of/are in the air & on landing. tup

Posted: Mar 23, 2010 at 14:41 Quote
robloveshiskona wrote:
Just practice, that's the only way you will get better, tiss hard to describe how to do it, so just go out there and get a feel for it, then you will learn to make the appropriate adjustments as you take of/are in the air & on landing. tup

+1

Posted: Mar 23, 2010 at 16:03 Quote
start itty bitty, i learned that jumping is actually pretty easy, you just gotta commit to it and physics will do 90% of the work (usually, 90% will get you safely on the landing)

Posted: Mar 23, 2010 at 16:11 Quote
You'll need to understand how to pump the transitions and landings to keep it smooth/controlled, keep your arms and legs relaxed and float over the jump. Its important to take note of other riders approach speed too. I'd agree with starting small and working your way up to big doubles and tables. Hope this helps a bit! Smile

Posted: Mar 23, 2010 at 21:00 Quote
Im 14 and have been trail riding for some years, but now want to get into dj/street riding. Any advice on what bike (not too expensive) to get and how to get into the sport. Thanks

Posted: Mar 24, 2010 at 10:31 Quote
Yea I agree with a lot of the comments posted. Best Jumps to start practicing on are tables because if you dont get the hang of it right away you atleast of something to land on or roll onto depending on how it goes. or just start on curbs or even bumps in the ground on trails just to get the feel of lifting up or pushing into a jump. Smile

Posted: Mar 24, 2010 at 10:34 Quote
bubbaleech wrote:
Im 14 and have been trail riding for some years, but now want to get into dj/street riding. Any advice on what bike (not too expensive) to get and how to get into the sport. Thanks

Id suggest maybe either an 05 or 06 norco 250 they arent to expensive you could check in the Buy/Sell for them. otherwise I would just go to a bike shop your comfortable with tell them what your looking for and a price range they will most likely hook you up with something good .

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2010 at 19:02 Quote
its all about the right amount of speed. If you hit it with the right amount of speed then the shape of the jump should put you right were you want to be...

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 16:46 Quote
I learned it in a day on the glentress tabletops, I just started rolling over them, then tried lifting the front wheel up on the lip, eventually got off the ground, eventually worked out that bending your legs makes you go much higher, it just kinda comes to you eventually, no one ever taught me, just keep trying & it'll come eventually.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012167
Mobile Version of Website