How to get the spacers OFF the shock

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
How to get the spacers OFF the shock
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 17:45 Quote
hey, i got my rear suspension OFF the bike, but now i want to take the spring OFF, but the spacers are like jam(like frozen where the pin goes true) and i want to take them OFFF!!! do you have any idea??

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 17:52 Quote
do you mean the big fat metal ring that you thread onto the shock to adjust the preload? just put the shock in a vice so you dont have to hold it, and put some heavy duty work gloves on and twist it to try to get it unstuck. if that doesnt work, get a monkey wrench and cover the clamping surfaces with electrical tape or something so you dont scratch the wring.

or if you mean the smaller little cylinders where the shock mounting hardware goes through? if its that, put the shock in a vice and soak the pin in WD- 40 or something. then just use a vise grip and cover the clamping surfaces with tape and twist the pin out

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 17:56 Quote
thanks alot man...ill put some wd-40 on them

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 17:59 Quote
firebird007 wrote:
thanks alot man...ill put some wd-40 on them

allright let them soak for like 5- 10 minutes to make sure all the wd- 40 gets in there. and if you scrtatch those pins, then the spacers that slide over them wont get on, or will at least be hard or impossible to turn which is not good.

Posted: Jul 1, 2010 at 19:22 Quote
So, did that work? I am trying to change springs, and have the same problem. I don't want to fuc* anything up, (it happens.) And if it worked, how'd you get the spacer back in?

Posted: Jul 1, 2010 at 20:06 Quote
cmcgary wrote:
So, did that work? I am trying to change springs, and have the same problem. I don't want to fuc* anything up, (it happens.) And if it worked, how'd you get the spacer back in?
FWIW, WD-40 is useless, PB Blaster is the stuff!

Posted: Jul 1, 2010 at 20:17 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
cmcgary wrote:
FWIW, WD-40 is useless, PB Blaster is the stuff!
+1

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 at 19:19 Quote
I ended up using a big c-clamp and a deep well socket and just pressed it out. You need a socket that is big enough for the spacer to fit into, but small enough to sit on the edge of the eye. Also, a four or five inch c-clamp.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008787
Mobile Version of Website