Troy lee designs D3

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Troy lee designs D3
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 1:32 Quote
So i was sitting here thinking about buying me a TLD D3 helmet, because i want a new one, and a new helmet that can offer me loads of protection, and at the same time look great!

But then i was thinking, the D3 helmet is a bit pricy and it has a Carbonfiber outer shell. What happens if i fall and the carbonfiber cracks? do i get a new helmet with disscount or do i have to buy me a new one? That would be a shame for a helmet that cost about 400 pounds ( 700 dollars ).

If i decide to not buy the D3, i would go for the 661 Evolution Striped 2010 that is only 100 pounds.

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 1:36 Quote
photo
OR
photo

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/48297.jpg

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 1:39 Quote
Pretty huge price difference between the two, have you not looked at anything in the middle? Say, 200 ish pounds? THE make some nice helmets as do POC.

Also the Troy Lee D2's are pretty awesome, I've had one for a while now.

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 1:47 Quote
Yeah i have taken a look at the D2 helmets, but i was really thinking about the carbon, is it smart to buy a carbon helmet if you fall down and brake it? THE one helmets is great, but i cant find anyone i think is cool!

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 1:49 Quote
Ahh, you can get D2's in carbon. I don't think it would be wise to fall on a carbon helmet and break it, I'm not sure on TLD or THE's returns or warrenty policy, however I think the chances of you breaking one are slim, my friend has taken some slams in a THE carbon helmet and it's fine.

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 1:56 Quote
I have a friend that has a The one carbon helmet, and his has not been destroyed yet, even tho he is the one that falls the most of us! I guess it depends on how your fall is, because his helmet only has Scratches and not cracks! But since i think alot about security i thought about the D3 Sice it is " the most protection, you can get in a mountainbikehelmet".

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 2:31 Quote
so my question is, what should i go for? TLD D3 / D2 / 661/ THE One? and why?

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 2:58 Quote
D2 composite in my opinion. I rode one all of last season many good crashes on it and I believe its still good to go. I don't place a lot of trust in carbon one it has a decently deep scratch its pretty much finished. Once you tear the carbon fibers 90% of the shells integrity is gone. hence why you will never see me run a carbon bar again.

Ryan

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 2:59 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/data/534/palmer_tld_news.jpg
Shaun Palmer D2

and just look how sweet it looks, oh and carbon helmets are fine and usually stronger than their composite counterparts

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 3:02 Quote
stronger UNTIL the fibers are damaged then its no better then a 70$ walmart special full face.

Ryan

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 3:07 Quote
veet-88 wrote:
stronger UNTIL the fibers are damaged then its no better then a 70$ walmart special full face.

Ryan

thats the worst argument i've ever heard, obviously a broken helmet isn't going to protect you as well...
you should replace ANY helmet that you've broken but seeing as it's gonna be stronger than the cheap helmet right up until it breaks, whih is when you would want a helmet to be strong Rolleyes then it kind of makes more sense

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 3:25 Quote
SCRATCH not crack... it is far easier to damage a carbon then a composite is what I am saying and the damage to a composite is far less likely to compromise the overall strength of the helmet vs carbon...

Ryan

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 3:32 Quote
But if i buy a TLD carbon helmet do i get a disscount or a new helmet?

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 3:59 Quote
I believe their replacement is a discounted price I will see if I can dig up the paper work that came with my D2...

Ryan

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 4:10 Quote
If you can do that i would appreciate it! You have the peaty helmet rigth?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011595
Mobile Version of Website