First Time DH racer

PB Forum :: Downhill
First Time DH racer
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 17:31 Quote
Im new to DH racing this year, Going to enter the NWcup in Port Angeles.
I'd like to hear hints or tips for a first time racer.
photo
stuck using this for this race season. hopefully next year i can get a full blown DH race Bike.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 17:42 Quote
Here is a mixture of both tips and hints. Get on your bike and ride as fast as you can. Eat good the day before and the morning of practice and racedays.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 17:46 Quote
la115 wrote:
Here is a mixture of both tips and hints. Get on your bike and ride as fast as you can. Eat good the day before and the morning of practice and racedays.

haha i like going fast!

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:03 Quote
Try to get some good practice on the course before your race run, but don't wear yourself out. Watch the fast guys through the tricky sections and try to learn from them. Focus on riding to the best of your abilities and enjoying the whole thing. Oh, and try not to stack it up. Next week's race is always more important that this week's.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:12 Quote
Buy a lower rise wider bar and drop your stem down the steerer tube a spacer or 2. This will help with cornering and overall feel and control of the bike. Have fun. If you go into a race too seriously you'll more than likely lose focus or stress to much about it. Try not to get frustrated when things come up i.e. blown tubes, snapped cables, and crashes. Oh and always bring extra parts and tools. Hope that helps.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:19 Quote
gofaster1000 wrote:
Buy a lower rise wider bar and drop your stem down the steerer tube a spacer or 2. This will help with cornering and overall feel and control of the bike. Have fun. If you go into a race too seriously you'll more than likely lose focus or stress to much about it. Try not to get frustrated when things come up i.e. blown tubes, snapped cables, and crashes. Oh and always bring extra parts and tools. Hope that helps.
i did get a new bar low rise bar, just haven't taken pictures of it yet.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:20 Quote
ChanceK wrote:
gofaster1000 wrote:
Oh good! What did you get?

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:23 Quote
gofaster1000 wrote:
ChanceK wrote:
gofaster1000 wrote:
Easton EA70? low rise. or 50?

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:25 Quote
ChanceK wrote:
gofaster1000 wrote:
ChanceK wrote:
YA the EA70 is a good bar a friend of mine had one and loved it, you should be stoked.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:27 Quote
gofaster1000 wrote:
ChanceK wrote:
gofaster1000 wrote:

YA the EA70 is a good bar a friend of mine had one and loved it, you should be stoked.
i just looked its the 50. my old bars i was running dented easily i crashed once already with the 50 and smashed it into rock and there wasn't a scratch, so im in love with them so far

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:29 Quote
ChanceK wrote:
gofaster1000 wrote:
ChanceK wrote:

i just looked its the 50. my old bars i was running dented easily i crashed once already with the 50 and smashed it into rock and there wasn't a scratch, so im in love with them so far
Thats good. For some reason stock bars always bend easier than aftermarket ones.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:30 Quote
gofaster1000 wrote:
ChanceK wrote:
gofaster1000 wrote:

Thats good. For some reason stock bars always bend easier than aftermarket ones.
yeah but its always nice to upgrade haha

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:32 Quote
ChanceK wrote:
gofaster1000 wrote:
ChanceK wrote:
yeah but its always nice to upgrade haha
Oh definitely.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:37 Quote
I'm starting out riding dh ( first season with fully) find a local trail that involves drops, berns, rocks , try and hit the trail once a week. Also timing yourself each time works. Try to beat the time you had before every new run.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 19:54 Quote
tacobell123 wrote:
I'm starting out riding dh ( first season with fully) find a local trail that involves drops, berns, rocks , try and hit the trail once a week. Also timing yourself each time works. Try to beat the time you had before every new run.
yeah the track its at if i remember right the trail they race on is the Expert DH one, it has i guess Big step up and step downs, on it

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010846
Mobile Version of Website