First Time DH racer

PB Forum :: Downhill
First Time DH racer
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 20:02 Quote
I just started riding DH this fall, so here's a bunch of stuff I wish I knew then:

1) I actually raced this last conference on a heavy-duty dirt jump bike (geared STP), and let me say that it does wonders for your bike handling skills if you can ride DH courses without rear sus. I'm not saying you have to race on one (although it's actually really fun), but be sure to practice on some real DH trails on a hardtail.

2) Always walk the course first, especially if you have the chance to do it when there aren't that many riders on course. This'll help you visualize the smoothest lines when it's time for your run. If possible, film or takes photos of sections that you think'll be trickey.

3) That said, see of you can walk up to the start line on race day. In my experience, courses that you've pre-ridden four times in practice will be WASHED on race day, and are only going to get gnarlier as the day goes on and everyone's feathering (see: clamping) their brakes. In addition, I've had cases where I developed a line that ran beautifully only to find it taped off as I'm racing it. Prewalking the course on race day will make sure this little mix up doesn't happen.

4) Do you like pasta? You'd better- other than a PBnJ, there really isn't anything better to eat the night of your race. Keep breakfast simple, with plenty of protein to make sure you actually make it to your line without puking.

5)Bring tools, even ones that you don't think you'll need. Either you or someone else will probably need them all at some point or another.

6) You're there to race the clock, not each other, so have fun with those around you. But if someone brings out the pixie bikes, run...

Hopes this helps, dude. Good luck!

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 20:08 Quote
chainrxn wrote:
I just started riding DH this fall, so here's a bunch of stuff I wish I knew then:

1) I actually raced this last conference on a heavy-duty dirt jump bike (geared STP), and let me say that it does wonders for your bike handling skills if you can ride DH courses without rear sus. I'm not saying you have to race on one (although it's actually really fun), but be sure to practice on some real DH trails on a hardtail.

2) Always walk the course first, especially if you have the chance to do it when there aren't that many riders on course. This'll help you visualize the smoothest lines when it's time for your run. If possible, film or takes photos of sections that you think'll be trickey.

3) That said, see of you can walk up to the start line on race day. In my experience, courses that you've pre-ridden four times in practice will be WASHED on race day, and are only going to get gnarlier as the day goes on and everyone's feathering (see: clamping) their brakes. In addition, I've had cases where I developed a line that ran beautifully only to find it taped off as I'm racing it. Prewalking the course on race day will make sure this little mix up doesn't happen.

4) Do you like pasta? You'd better- other than a PBnJ, there really isn't anything better to eat the night of your race. Keep breakfast simple, with plenty of protein to make sure you actually make it to your line without puking.

5)Bring tools, even ones that you don't think you'll need. Either you or someone else will probably need them all at some point or another.

6) You're there to race the clock, not each other, so have fun with those around you. But if someone brings out the pixie bikes, run...

Hopes this helps, dude. Good luck!

foe me i think it is, i actually just printed it out so i could remember this

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 21:02 Quote
Most important thing, relax, dont freak yourself out. For your first race, just get out there and get a feel for it. Eat healthy, but trying to think about all that diet crap will just freak you out more, in the beginner class, it wont make much of a difference anyway. The same goes for bike setup, "warm ups", picking lines, practice runes, etc. do what you feel comfortable with, the more you have to think about, the more nervous youll be. Its not world champs, so you dont have to think through every little detail. Just go out there and have fun. Sounds corny, but trust me, there is no reason to be super serious and nervous over your first race as a beginner, when you look back on it later, it wont matter how well you did.
Good luck, Pin it!

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 21:50 Quote
One thing that i did when i started racing, is i went as fast as i possibly could each race which usually resulted in crashes during my race run. I would suggest trying to go fast, but working hard on your flow and keeping a clean run.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009549
Mobile Version of Website