The Cyclocross Thread

PB Forum :: 29ers
The Cyclocross Thread
Posted: Sep 12, 2010 at 8:09 Quote
So the cross season for me kicked off today. Really good race as it was boiling hot. The course started with a good technical section on a BMX track. Followed by a muddy off-camber decent. After some gravel track there was a good climb with loads of switchbacks on. Results aren't out yet but I was the fastest (and only) singlespeeder!
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_PZgeg74_OSQ/TIzjlkQgu4I/AAAAAAAAeaE/-veQQ9TzFSg/s512/Rd%201%20whickham%20160.jpg

Posted: Sep 23, 2010 at 19:25 Quote
Cross season started for me! Smile

First race was sick! Just riding on carry over fittness from mtb racing season. Going to start training for cross next week again.

3rd in first race this year. Course was alot of fun, killer climb though, but a crazy fun descent of sandy switch backs. Sand was about half a foot deep the whole way down and it was all about no brakes, foot out, plow through cx style.

good time for sure.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 at 21:48 Quote
2011 Cruix Pro Carbon.. rides so much better then the 2010 Aluminum Tricross I have.. Isnt as snappy and fun to ride but it is soo much faster then the tricross was.

I cant wait to get into the cross racing.. I went to the USGP in Portland last year and the National both and they were so much fun.. stoked on racing again this year..

photo

Posted: Oct 1, 2010 at 13:21 Quote
That looks like a sick set up man!

Whats the weight?

Is that an Apex groupo or Rival?

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 at 14:12 Quote
jordandoner wrote:

Whats the weight?

I havnt weighted it yet.. totally spaced on weighing it after I built it at work a few weeks ago.. but my Alum Tricross was like ~20.5 lbs and this one is Carbon with XT pedals instead of 520's I have on the tricross so I am guessing its just under 20..

and it is Rival stuff with Roval wheels.. Its damn fast

Posted: Oct 1, 2010 at 14:53 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
jordandoner wrote:

Whats the weight?

I havnt weighted it yet.. totally spaced on weighing it after I built it at work a few weeks ago.. but my Alum Tricross was like ~20.5 lbs and this one is Carbon with XT pedals instead of 520's I have on the tricross so I am guessing its just under 20..

and it is Rival stuff with Roval wheels.. Its damn fast

I looked it up on specialized's site.. its got a sweet build!! It will be sooo fast man.

My cross bike is a beast.. weighs 21 pounds.. heavier than my mountain bike which is 19.5 pounds lol

Posted: Oct 1, 2010 at 20:15 Quote
Great looking Cruix.
I bet you can tell that the Carbon isn't as harsh as the alum. tricross too.

Posted: Oct 4, 2010 at 18:01 Quote
hi. im a xc mtb rider who wants to get into cx but not have to own two separate bikes(being as i am going to college next year). im buying a rigid 29er soon for xc and i want to swap tires out so i can race cx. will i be able to get a 700c cx tire on my 15mm rims. any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 at 6:16 Quote
xclegs-dhballs wrote:
hi. im a xc mtb rider who wants to get into cx but not have to own two separate bikes(being as i am going to college next year). im buying a rigid 29er soon for xc and i want to swap tires out so i can race cx. will i be able to get a 700c cx tire on my 15mm rims. any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Buy a cross bike before the mountain bike! Specially if you are going to college.. you can commute and ride trails without a problem and it is faster.

I ride more single track on my cyclocross bike than most people do on their mountain bikes.

I would go cyclocross bike in your situation.

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 at 9:38 Quote
But to answer your question, shouldn't be any real problem riding a cross tyre on a 29er rim.

Had another race last weekend. Completely awesome mudfest, pan flat so was well suited on the Singlecross.

Posted: Oct 5, 2010 at 16:33 Quote
yhank you for the input. as for commuting... the universities traffic is notoriously bad and motown doesn't have a bike lane... also need a better bike for xxc racing... any reccommendations on tires?

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 at 0:13 Quote
Depends what sort of conditions your racing on. I use Maxxis Larsen MiM CX which are pretty sweet for grass and mud as they just hook up straight away.

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 at 19:58 Quote
the trails i ride on are super rocky and steep. sose super fast wide open sections though. mostly hardpack

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 at 3:31 Quote
Try the Raze then, designed for racing on hardpack if I remember righty.

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 at 17:16 Quote
thanks. who makes the raze?im not familiar with cx tires

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.028213
Mobile Version of Website