Why does my Fox 36 Float make a squeaking noise when quickly compressed?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Why does my Fox 36 Float make a squeaking noise when quickly compressed?
Posted: Feb 9, 2010 at 17:48 Quote
rush10 wrote:
u should be running aroun 50-60psi

they way i was told by fox was:

140lb - 40psi
150lb - 50psi
160lb - 60psi
and so on...

and thats the minimum for that weight....for me i weigh 155 and i run 70psi as i like it a lil stiffer

That sounds like a good rule of thumb.

That work for smaller riders under 100lbs though? I wouldn't reccomend pumping up negative PSI in your float.

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 at 17:51 Quote
rush10 wrote:
yea try that and see if the noise goes away. i had to call fox for that info lol.
alright ill try it out as soon as this snows gone Frown did you service your fork or send it in? does fox have instructions available if i ever wanted to service it? it could prolly use it haha

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 at 17:52 Quote
What adjustments does it have? And if it does have them, what have you got set?

The lockout threshold can make a squeaking noise when it is hit fast.

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 at 17:57 Quote
iamamodel wrote:

The lockout threshold can make a squeeking noise when it is hit fast.
well right now its got about 35psi, but rush10 tells me i should have around 50psi. ive probably got the rebound set halfway between + and -. tell me about this lockout threshold?

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 at 18:05 Quote
iamamodel wrote:

The lockout threshold can make a squeaking noise when it is hit fast.

it happens with my rockshox reba too. what's the cause for this?

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 at 18:12 Quote
Sorry, I didn't read your first post properly - I think only the TALAS has that function. Sorry.

EDIT: I just looked on your profile and you have 36 Float R - so no lockout or adjustable compression capabilities.

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 at 18:14 Quote
i serviced mine myself and yes there are instrutions on the fox site somewhere but cant remeber how to get them exactyl

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 at 18:15 Quote
rush10 wrote:
i serviced mine myself and yes there are instrutions on the fox site somewhere but cant remeber how to get them exactyl
alrighty ill browse around

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 at 16:18 Quote
ahh perfect thanks man

Posted: Feb 12, 2010 at 9:48 Quote
you dont need to worry about any of this, it is a healthy noise, you should be proud of it. it should be louder when you have full rebound on (slow rebound) and it is just the noise made from the oil passing through the holes that the rebound is controlled via.

its healthy and is just a sign your fox is running well internally.

my new bike had fox 36 van r forks and was silent from new, then after a week i had them stripped and rebuilt by the mech at work and they now make that noise. and are also the smoothest forks ever Smile

Posted: Feb 12, 2010 at 16:50 Quote
paulwootton77 wrote:
you dont need to worry about any of this, it is a healthy noise, you should be proud of it. it should be louder when you have full rebound on (slow rebound) and it is just the noise made from the oil passing through the holes that the rebound is controlled via.

its healthy and is just a sign your fox is running well internally.

my new bike had fox 36 van r forks and was silent from new, then after a week i had them stripped and rebuilt by the mech at work and they now make that noise. and are also the smoothest forks ever Smile
really?? crazy. well thats good to know, thanks. ya the fork feels great the noise just worried me and i was just waiting for something to break. haha

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 at 22:37 Quote
perhaps if you are worried you should take it in to your local shop for a professional opinion. Its impossible for anyone to diagnose 100% over the internet.

Posted: Feb 13, 2010 at 14:08 Quote
nathanbalsdon wrote:
perhaps if you are worried you should take it in to your local shop for a professional opinion. Its impossible for anyone to diagnose 100% over the internet.

well im just saying what i was told by the mechanic at the shop i work at, and he is a magician on forks Razz often does a better job on forks than tftuned

Posted: Feb 13, 2010 at 14:13 Quote
my fork does not make that noise. it makes more of a coil noise. its weird

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017336
Mobile Version of Website