How can i improve my whips ?

PB Forum :: Beginners
How can i improve my whips ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 12:16 Quote
i hav been learing how to whip and this is as good so fare tell me wat u think and if u hav any advice on how to improve tell me

photo

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 16:30 Quote
I'm not sure but try turning your bars a little more... it works for me, good luckBeer

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 16:34 Quote
if ur whipping to your left, than crank your bars to the right. The farther u crank em, the more u will whip

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 16:46 Quote
freeriderconnor wrote:
if ur whipping to your left, than crank your bars to the right. The farther u crank em, the more u will whip
ya just make sure you can get it back, thats the key. Throw your ass out and turn your shoulders the opposite way.

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 11:29 Quote
thats the same direction i whip so what you do is.....first, not just turn your bars but lock your legs and kind of use your legs to whip it out. it's all in your legs. keep trying and by the way, that pic looks like a good start! Big Grin

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 11:31 Quote
try to pull your bars away sideways as hard as you can

EDIT: try to put your weight more to the front, that'll make it easier

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 11:33 Quote
For it to be a proper whip the bike has to be flat and crossed up with you hanging off the back. Get X-ups, tables, and turndowns down pat then maybe you'll be able to pull off a proper whip. They are REALLY hard though.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 11:56 Quote
well here is my wee guide to whip to the left(just do opposite to whip right)

when you approach the lip ride on the right side of the trail when you are going up the face of the lip turn the bars slightly to the left, but keep looking forward, you should have left the lip by now, keep the bars turned and keep looking forward, you should find that your torso is also facing forward, but your hips are a t funny angle, when your reach just past the peak height of the jump, start turning the bars forward again and the bike should go back into shape and you should land straight or near straight.
The more forceful you push your bars in the air, the quicker and more extended your whip will be.
photo

As you can see in this picture of me the bars are turned and my head and torso are forward, because this isnt fully extended my legs are still pretty straight, but as the bike whips out more, my legs would be more squint.

Hope this helps, because i spent ages typing it lol.

Keep riding

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 12:06 Quote
I find whips are best on big gravity fed jumps with unlimited transition. The motion to whip the ass end of the bike starts from the hips and is completed or exagerated by turning down the bars. I think you could say the whip is a combo of a turndown and a tabletop (check out John tomac circa 1990) master those seperately. This is a pretty advanced trick you need big air and hangtime to make it look good.

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 12:27 Quote
2oldschool wrote:
I find whips are best on big gravity fed jumps with unlimited transition. The motion to whip the ass end of the bike starts from the hips and is completed or exagerated by turning down the bars. I think you could say the whip is a combo of a turndown and a tabletop (check out John tomac circa 1990) master those seperately. This is a pretty advanced trick you need big air and hangtime to make it look good.

Amen. Too many people think that a whip is just kicking the back out to the side. NOT TRUE. That is just a little tweak. A true whip is VERY difficult on a bike. It's much easier on a moto because of the extra mass. You REALLY have to hang off the back.

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 12:38 Quote
djman22 wrote:
what do you buys think of these whips
<Deleted photo>
[PI= 1376277 size=m align=c]1376277[/PI]
man nice...but it's easier on the light bmx bikes, he's talking full suspension.

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 12:43 Quote
if your pretty confident at bringing them back in just tur a little on the take off, not tourn so much as just tweak the bike the way you want to whip, it throws it out really good. well thats what i do and it seems to work ok ... i think

photo

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 12:52 Quote
it looks like your tilting the whole frame like in a table motion. just move the back wheel. you can also think of doing a 90 but not moving the bars. personally, i find getting the bike out there easy, but getting it back in hard. just make sure it doesn't get too far out you start wrecking your rim

hope that helps

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 13:00 Quote
Watch Vanderham - in Roam for instance.

That kid throws the hugest whips ever.

(and it's in slo-mo... Big Grin )

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 16:55 Quote
Whip it as you want it to whip, but use your front whell when landing (front wheel first) to get the back straight. It's hard to explain....

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016349
Mobile Version of Website