What do i need to change here?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What do i need to change here?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 15, 2010 at 10:46 Quote
Hi, just wondering if anybody has any idea what i need to do to sort this? All the bb is tight crank is tight but the axel moves left to right buy about 1 cm?
photo

photo

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 at 11:39 Quote
Before you tighten the crankbolts make sure the cranks are pushed against the BB, then tighten them up.

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 at 11:43 Quote
Drive side should have 2 spacers.

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 at 18:43 Quote
Even with the spacer that looks like a big gap (bigger than 2.5mm) - I think your crank spindle is too long for that bottom bracket width.

Have you just built that up or changed anything? Did the cranks come off some other bike? Did you jsut change the bottom bracket?

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2010 at 19:09 Quote
damn that bb cup is demolished! yah youre probably missing spacers, or the spindle is too long

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 at 20:40 Quote
wtf did you do to your bearing cup?...
what kinda of BB is it?
what width is your BB? what cranks?

we need to know these things

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 12:41 Quote
ethier wrote:
wtf did you do to your bearing cup?...
what kinda of BB is it?
what width is your BB? what cranks?

we need to know these things

that just a old bb i use for chasing, the bb is a hope 68/73 and the cranks are raceface evolve and its a ns 24inch suburban frame, its almost like the axel is to long. spoke to hope and they said the cranks are fine to use with there bb

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 17:54 Quote
Looks like the cranks are 83mm, and your frame is 73.

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 19:29 Quote
aah beat me to it hummeroid..
yeah that exactly what it looks like

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 at 2:55 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Looks like the cranks are 83mm, and your frame is 73.

with the axel being fixed do i need to buy new cranks?

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 at 4:32 Quote
[Edit] My suggestion doesn't make sense on reflection. I was thinking Howitzer was just the bearings, not the spindle too.

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 at 4:37 Quote
iamamodel wrote:
I wonder if a cheaper solution is to use a Howitzer BB. They are wider than normal, but I cannot remember by how much. If they are 5mm wider than normal, I'm thinking that perhaps they be a decent solution. I'm sure others will tell me what they think of this idea.

Running extra spacers is no good as you won't be left with enough thread in the shell.

You can put spacers on the axle instead of between the BB shell and the BB itself. Anyway yeah the axle is too long, buy new cranks.

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 at 7:04 Quote
Sh4rvan wrote:
iamamodel wrote:
I wonder if a cheaper solution is to use a Howitzer BB. They are wider than normal, but I cannot remember by how much. If they are 5mm wider than normal, I'm thinking that perhaps they be a decent solution. I'm sure others will tell me what they think of this idea.

Running extra spacers is no good as you won't be left with enough thread in the shell.

You can put spacers on the axle instead of between the BB shell and the BB itself. Anyway yeah the axle is too long, buy new cranks.

what size of cranks do i need to look for then?

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 at 8:25 Quote
sherpaman wrote:
Sh4rvan wrote:
iamamodel wrote:

Suburban? It has a 73mm BB if I'm right, so cranks made for a 73mm BB..

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 at 8:26 Quote
Sh4rvan wrote:
sherpaman wrote:
Sh4rvan wrote:

Suburban? It has a 73mm BB if I'm right, so cranks made for a 73mm BB..

just got the tape out, its 68mm. The bb i have if for 68/73 so i just need to find a crank to fit that then

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012783
Mobile Version of Website