Helmet Cam or Camcorder?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Helmet Cam or Camcorder?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 13:24 Quote
I was wondering which one to buy. I DJ and sometimes do DH and I wanted to upgrade from my little digital camera that I use now. I want something that could shoot HD video. I was going to go for the Gopro HD hero, but now my dad says he could get a Canon video camera at a good price. Any sugestions?

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 14:02 Quote
get a go pro
its really good for the money and really durable
HD, wide angle, and waterproof/shockproof
plus tons of mounting options
and u can use it for more than just biking
the camera itself looks kinda toyish and it doesnt have an lcd screen but the quality is amazing
your dad probably thinks its cheap and not a "real" camera
but 1080p is plenty for me

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 15:56 Quote
Yeah I think I will get the GoPro. And my dad didnt call it cheap, he just said that if I wanted to get a Camcorder, he could get me one for a good price. Thanks.

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 17:41 Quote
In the long run, get both.

Both are for different uses and therefore are both good investments. Or invest in a Video DSLR and there you have an awesome still camera also. I have a GoPro HD and a 5D Mark II. Never been happier.

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 at 14:31 Quote
yeah I would like to get both but I dont have enough money. I also live in the Maritimes and its not like its the driest place in the world, so I would want to get a water proof camera. If theirs a tough/ weather proof camcorder out their, I would like to know about it.
Thanks

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 4:39 Quote
well how about this,

Are you going to be riding by yourself, or with mates?

Because if your alone, get GoPro. If with mates, camcorder. Because then you can take turns and film each other..

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 4:53 Quote
or a contour hd 1080...I have one its great

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 12:38 Quote
Yeah I guess a camcorder would be a bit better becuase I would be biking with some of my friends. Does anyone know a good camcorder (Preferably Canon because I can get a discount)?

And to whoosh75, is the Contour HD 1080 water proof?
Thanks

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 12:43 Quote
rdemo1 wrote:
Yeah I guess a camcorder would be a bit better becuase I would be biking with some of my friends. Does anyone know a good camcorder (Preferably Canon because I can get a discount)?

And to whoosh75, is the Contour HD 1080 water proof?
Thanks
the contour is water resistant(splash)
the gopro is waterproof(80feet)

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 12:48 Quote
Ok thanks, I guess it being splash proof would be alright(the trails in NB are usually pretty wet), but how tough is it? Becasue I wouldnt want to pay $350 for a helmet cam and brake it in one crash (Even though it would be cool footage Big Grin ).
Thanks

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 12:54 Quote
rdemo1 wrote:
Ok thanks, I guess it being splash proof would be alright(the trails in NB are usually pretty wet), but how tough is it? Becasue I wouldnt want to pay $350 for a helmet cam and brake it in one crash (Even though it would be cool footage Big Grin ).
Thanks
both the contour and the gopro are really durable
the gopro is a camera inside of its case so if you drop it and scratch the case lens or somehow break it (impossible) then you can replace it.

the only advantages the contour has over the gopro is the weight and laser alignment
the gopro has more mounting options, is waterproof, has a case, and can hold more memory

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 12:56 Quote
The contour is splash proof.
You can get a waterproof housing for it for £30(10meters)
It seems really robust Smile

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 13:01 Quote
I took it out for a first test run and mounted it on my seatpost with velcro cos I didnt have time to mount it properly. I had 20 mins before it got dark..it was raining quite hard and muddy (I'm from UK!)
I rode 20 mins and then looked down...no camera!! After retracing my steps looking on the ground I noticed it had caught on my V brake noodle pipe and was dragging on the tyre!! It had been recording all the time (10 mins) and didnt cut out once and is still in perfect condition so I'm sure it wil take a knock or two.

Nice Smile I agree about the mounts but its fun making your own Wink

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
Buy a used helmet cam and save up a few more pennies til you can get the discounted videocam.
While the Vhold cams are only splash proof, I bought 2 used ones and when they conked out VHOLD replaced them with brand new ones even though they were informed that I had bought them second hand. Unbeatable customer service...
Plus while you can sort of film your buddies with a helmet cam (no zoom) it's pretty tough to ride and do tricks while holding a camcorder with one hand or ducttaped to your helmet...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012006
Mobile Version of Website