Handlebar Length?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Handlebar Length?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 16:54 Quote
What is the ideal length of a DH Handlebar?

also, what are the benefits of having a shorter one, right now i have the Deity handlebar (stock size) but would liek to the an Inch off each end...

what is the benefits of shorter bars, aside from fitting in tight areas... :-)

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 17:01 Quote
KEEP WIDE bars they help with everything, especially DH and tailwhips. All the pros ride wide bars, like sam hill and steve peat!!

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 17:03 Quote
george484 wrote:
KEEP WIDE bars they help with everything, especially DH and tailwhips. All the pros ride wide bars, like sam hill and steve peat!!

is it better to keep wide bars for dj?Why?

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 17:03 Quote
i have an old set od Deity bars that were cut down from 29IN to 27inches....

i put it on my bike and i really can't tell the difference right now! but i have not ridden it yet!

Aside from Tail Whips and Tricks what are the other benefits, i thought Sam Hill and peaty rode with shorter bars, i know cedric gracia does!

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 17:06 Quote
my deity came 27.2 inch.?? but i thini most ppl prefer shorter bar for dj/street.
anyone got a length preference for djing and street?

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 17:13 Quote
Sorry meant to say 28INches...

the black ones i have were cut to about 26 inches... what does 2 inches to for your when you're DH'ing?

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 17:16 Quote
Wider bars are going to give you stability / leverage when it comes to controlling the bike. Narrower bars are going to increase the speed of steering response (and probably not bash quite so many trees!).

Bar width is a personal preference - bigger riders will be more comfortable with wider bars. I run narrower bars on my XC bike (23") for steering and wider (26") bars on my freeriding rig. My widest bars are on my singlespeed (27") - it's nice to have the leverage when you are cranking up a hill in 38-18...

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 17:19 Quote
Nice...

that's the exact answer i was looking for, i'll take the 26' wide bars for a spin this weekend, and if i don't like it, i'll make sure to pack my 28's.... i've always rode with 28' bars, never rode with anythings smaller, even on my DJ....

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 18:11 Quote
yeah you wanna run narrower bars for street, djn but for down hill the wider the better .. morestability at higher speeds. more control.

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 20:05 Quote
Wider isn't necessarily better, unless your a larger guy, I'm of a slim build and the stock length of my diabolus (28") bars was to wide and felt very awkward to handle, so I cut them to 26 inches.

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 20:07 Quote
wat is the size for the smaller ones?

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 20:12 Quote
I ride street mostly and dirtjumps and trails sometimes. I have a black market. I run my bars 24 inches and it is perfect. Don't need them any wider than that.

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 18:32 Quote
ya i have 22in on my mtb and 24 on my bmx...i find my mtbs are a little too short by i get used to it...

Posted: Nov 23, 2007 at 19:17 Quote
Most of the time, It's a rider's preference. Some like it short, others like it long. But also, it depends on the purpose.

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 8:11 Quote
EuroBiker wrote:
george484 wrote:

is it better to keep wide bars for dj?Why?
It is better to keepwide bars for dj because having wide bars allows you to have much more control over your bike, at first they will feel weird, but the first time you try a tailwhip or a 360, or a no foot can, you will be surprised at how much better and smooth it feels!!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012156
Mobile Version of Website