Will a lake jump hurt my blk mrkt 357?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Will a lake jump hurt my blk mrkt 357?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 at 18:39 Quote
I'm going to build a 6' tall kicker on a dock, and I need to know if the water will hurt my bike (BB, headset, brakes, frame) Thanks a ton!

Posted: Feb 24, 2010 at 18:55 Quote
All bearings will die!

Posted: Feb 24, 2010 at 19:06 Quote
Id avoid doing this with a nice bike. Find a beater. Remember, it doesn't really matter how strong it is, your landing in water. Geo isn't a huge deal, you don't need to stick landings. As long as it's flickable, your good. Use like an old P. bike, or an ancient Sasquatch or some thing. A Specialized Hardrock would be really light, handle a similar to a djer, and dirt cheap as well.
Lake jumping is so much fun, do whatever you can to make it possible!

Edit: Yes

Posted: Feb 24, 2010 at 19:30 Quote
That's like saying "I'm going rally racing in my Lamborghini Gallardo. Will that mess up my suspension and tires?" LOL, of course the answer is YES. Sealed bearings are not completely water-proof.

Posted: Feb 24, 2010 at 19:36 Quote
Actually, if your fine with taking it apart every week or so and regreasing and removing water from your bearings. Go ahead.

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 9:23 Quote
I've put my bike through some ponds and creeks when washing out alongside them...

It's important to take everything apart, dry it, and lube it back up.

ESPECIALLY the bottom bracket. On my Steelhead, all the water that managed to get in the frame manages to sit right in the bottom bracket area.

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 9:44 Quote
it will hurt your wallet if you dont tie somthing to it that floats lolBig Grin

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 12:05 Quote
freeride-idiot wrote:

alot of people use their life jackets lol

BTW did u see the guy do the 40 foot lake jump he built on crutches in MBUK?? that was SICK!!! Razz

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 12:20 Quote
salt water will f*ck it up no end but fresh water should be fine as long as you dry it all off and regrease it afterwards. and threading an inner tube through the spokes of each wheel and then pumping the tube up is the easiest way to keep it afloat i guess.

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 12:33 Quote
freeride-idiot wrote:

bikes float anyway.. they have air in the tyres.. Facepalm just make sure the tyres have a decent amount of air in..

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 12:34 Quote
yeah but its good to have that extra flotation so you don't lose your pride and joy Big Grin

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 12:37 Quote
yeah, unless you can afford a full rebuild, don't.
Buy a crap walmart bmx or something.

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 12:37 Quote
TyreBurningBiker wrote:

+1.

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 12:39 Quote
TyreBurningBiker wrote:

true... +1 Smile

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 12:56 Quote
our buddy let us use his older DH bike for our lake jump last summer. If you can find a old DH bike to huck, I highly recommend it lol

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010493
Mobile Version of Website