Building berms?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Building berms?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 10:39 Quote
Hi
Basically I am making a short 'fun' dh trail. I need to make a berm, but the soil is quite soft mud. Can you make berms out of this? does the soil need to be quite dry?

Thanks

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 11:00 Quote
You can... it will just take a while. you will just have to start of with making a small mount with just the 'shape' of the berm. then wait for it to rain so it packs hard. and keep building up and up and up. you want to get it as strong as possible as there is alot more pressure in a berm than you think. this is what i would do but i dont build that often so see what other people say.

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 11:23 Quote
What kind of berm . is it going to be one with a lot of weight going into it or will it just be something for a front wheel to balence onSmile

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 11:23 Quote
mhailo wrote:
Hi
Basically I am making a short 'fun' dh trail. I need to make a berm, but the soil is quite soft mud. Can you make berms out of this? does the soil need to be quite dry?

Thanks
wow! its the same here. i try to build berms and the suck cuz the soil is soft... mu friends built theist with rocks and logs in them for added support. seems to work

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 11:50 Quote
Yeah, I was going to lay the line of the berm down with logs, but mud over that, pat down, logs on the back, more mud so on so on, until it's stable.

DrummingLlife Basically it's the first turn into the track, you can't really take it at speed as the ground is really loose, and it is around 2 trees so you'd slide out into a tree Razz

Wait a sec, I'll get a Paint drawing up...

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 11:56 Quote
OK Here is a paint drawing of where the berm would be....

photo

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 12:01 Quote
cool, although mine will be alot smaller! I just need one to make the sharp turn without sliding out every time...

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 12:02 Quote
Just dig down a little and make a nice curving arc. If you want small yet grippy. Make it very steep.

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 12:05 Quote
Do you need anything to support the berm from the back side of it.?

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 12:07 Quote
norcofreerider8 OK, thanks I'll try that out

marquisYeah, I'm going to have to support the back with logs, If i don't i think it'll just collapse after a few runs

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 12:09 Quote
mhailo wrote:
norcofreerider8 OK, thanks I'll try that out

marquisYeah, I'm going to have to support the back with logs, If i don't i think it'll just collapse after a few runs

Our dh run needs some berms building into it but i need them small enough for walkers not to get pissed of with but big enough to actually work,any pics ideas would be smashing.

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 12:13 Quote
I'll hopefully get some pics tomorrow. It's not going to be big really, the run will be really short, about 1minute max. I also need to re-build some really old jumps

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 12:15 Quote
mhailo wrote:
I'll hopefully get some pics tomorrow. It's not going to be big really, the run will be really short, about 1minute max. I also need to re-build some really old jumps

Ours is roughly a minute too,but with speeds hitting 40 its bloody good though.

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 at 12:18 Quote
:O 40! mph or kph??

I don't have any local trails, i have to travel roughly an hour to get anywhere decent, so I thought i'd try out making my own.

This will be a relatively simple trail

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019736
Mobile Version of Website