High school and university really for me?

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
High school and university really for me?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 20:28 Quote
I have been wondering lately if high school and university is really something i want to waste my young life on. I don't find myself gaining anything, i don't find myself moving forward. I am never going to be an academic. It's too confining. I want to do what I want with my life, as big a cliche as that is. I want to drop out, work full time to pack away as much as possible, and move on. Easier said then done. It's a big leap.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 20:34 Quote
As much as it might seem like a good idea right now, quiting high school wouldn't be a wise decision. University may very well not be something for you but high school is a must. I don't even think you can work at McDonald with out having finished or currently completing high school. Down the road you'll be thank full you stayed in high school. So many doors will be shut if you quit now. Keep at it and finish!

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 20:34 Quote
You can always learn a trade if school isn't your bag.But get grade 12 at least.

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 20:35 Quote
True; however, the majority of this world is run off money and to make really big money you require some sort of skills, that could be trades, academics, or some other skill that you an put forth to your future employer.

Sure you can go work the rigs and make big money; however, how long would you really want to do that for? There must be some thing in life that you love to do that would give you some sort of skill set?

I think all that really matters is to be happy in life, have a job you like going to and having enough money to afford all the things you like.

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 20:41 Quote
dishboy14 wrote:
True; however, the majority of this world is run off money and to make really big money you require some sort of skills, that could be trades, academics, or some other skill that you an put forth to your future employer.

Sure you can go work the rigs and make big money; however, how long would you really want to do that for? There must be some thing in life that you love to do that would give you some sort of skill set?

I think all that really matters is to be happy in life, have a job you like going to and having enough money to afford all the things you like.
Money isn't a big concern of mine. I don't need a big suburban house, I don't need a fancy car. I just need enough to live on. Money won't make me happy. My passion is music, and seeing the world. I think the music program at my high school is what is keeping me from really pursuing this.

I want to see the world and I want to play music that inspires me, and if I have to do it from the streets, I will.

Sorry for the jumble of ideas here. I'm having trouble putting my thoughts onto "paper".

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 20:43 Quote
Let's think about this for a second. You want to drop out of highschool and try to get a job that will create enough income for you to
bigquoteswork full time to pack away as much as possible, and move on

Well, trust me on this, without a highschool diploma (nevermind college/university education) any job that you will get will barely cover your bills every month making it hard to pack away any amounts of money.

Do a little research, look at the average income you can earn per year without a highschool education. Then look at the average income you can ear per year with a highschool education. Finally, look at the average income you can earn per year with a post secondary education. That might change your thoughts a little.

If that doesn't, heres a little food for thought. Since January I have been working full time (60-70 hours/week), one job making $16/hour and the other job making $8/hour. With all that income, guess how much I have to myself every payday after bills (cellphone, rent, insurance, car bills, etc). The amount would be approximatly $100. Now that's $100 every two weeks. So if I were to do your plan, the MOST I could put away every year is $2600 and that's if I were to do absolutly nothing fun (no going out with friends, no going to the bar, no movies...nothing).

So now I'm not saying that your situation will be the same as mine, but I am definatly saying that dropping out of highschool is a very bad idea. But when it comes down to it, it is your life and you can do what you want with it. But I can almost gaurantee that the time you spend out of school, you will almost certainly look back at it as a waste of time.

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 20:48 Quote
geezir wrote:
Let's think about this for a second. You want to drop out of highschool and try to get a job that will create enough income for you to
bigquoteswork full time to pack away as much as possible, and move on

Well, trust me on this, without a highschool diploma (nevermind college/university education) any job that you will get will barely cover your bills every month making it hard to pack away any amounts of money.

Do a little research, look at the average income you can earn per year without a highschool education. Then look at the average income you can ear per year with a highschool education. Finally, look at the average income you can earn per year with a post secondary education. That might change your thoughts a little.

If that doesn't, heres a little food for thought. Since January I have been working full time (60-70 hours/week), one job making $16/hour and the other job making $8/hour. With all that income, guess how much I have to myself every payday after bills (cellphone, rent, insurance, car bills, etc). The amount would be approximatly $100. Now that's $100 every two weeks. So if I were to do your plan, the MOST I could put away every year is $2600 and that's if I were to do absolutly nothing fun (no going out with friends, no going to the bar, no movies...nothing).

So now I'm not saying that your situation will be the same as mine, but I am definatly saying that dropping out of highschool will be one of the stupidest things you could do. But when it comes down to it, it is your life and you can do what you want with it. But I can almost gaurantee that the time you spend out of school, you will almost certainly look back at it as a waste of time.
You're factoring in a lot of things that won't apply. Like a cell phone, like a car, like insurance etc. I don't need much. I love what I have, but very little of it is really necessary.

I don't want money to dictate the way I live my life. Money should never hold you back.

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 20:56 Quote
If you don't want money to hold you back stay in school. You may think you don't need things now but wait as you become older you will want things and need things. Ever plan on getting married? Having kids? Those things will make your lifestyle change. Do yourself a favor and stay in school. You will thank yourself later.

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 21:01 Quote
LooseGoose wrote:
If you don't want money to hold you back stay in school. You may think you don't need things now but wait as you become older you will want things and need things. Ever plan on getting married? Having kids? Those things will make your lifestyle change. Do yourself a favor and stay in school. You will thank yourself later.
You don't know me, you don't know what I want in life, so how can you make that assumption?

No, I don't plan on getting married. I plan on being with someone, but I do not want to get "married"

I plan on picking up a trade skill (I have a few in mind) and being self employed. I don't want to work for anyone but myself.

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 21:02 Quote
i think what everyone is trying to get across is that you should stick it out for the 3 years that high school is. i mean im in grade 11 and thinking of my options. if you shut your doors now you wont have many options. and even if u dont need insurance or a car, u will need food, u will need a place to stay and you'll need rent. and thats the bare minimum. and if you want to live in the "streets"
(not saying you are going to just thought u said it in ur last post.) you will need clothes, and money for laundry and stuff. anyways what im trying to say is, money does not need to dictate your life, but it is somthing that u need a bit of just to get by. and if you want to save a bunch of money, it might be harder without your high school education. most trades people i know (i work in the trades ) have atleast finished their highschool education and some have even gone to bcit to get a better trades program. all in all, i think it is in your best interest to stay living with your parents or whatever until grade 12, then you'll have more options, by then you might even decide to stick to it and go to university. hope that helps man. Big Grin

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 21:09 Quote
redbullit wrote:
i think what everyone is trying to get across is that you should stick it out for the 3 years that high school is. i mean im in grade 11 and thinking of my options. if you shut your doors now you wont have many options. and even if u dont need insurance or a car, u will need food, u will need a place to stay and you'll need rent. and thats the bare minimum. and if you want to live in the "streets"
(not saying you are going to just thought u said it in ur last post.) you will need clothes, and money for laundry and stuff. anyways what im trying to say is, money does not need to dictate your life, but it is somthing that u need a bit of just to get by. and if you want to save a bunch of money, it might be harder without your high school education. most trades people i know (i work in the trades ) have atleast finished their highschool education and some have even gone to bcit to get a better trades program. all in all, i think it is in your best interest to stay living with your parents or whatever until grade 12, then you'll have more options, by then you might even decide to stick to it and go to university. hope that helps man. Big Grin
Im in grade 10, just to clarify.

By shutting a door, im opening others. Like I said, I don't want to live the middle-class suburban life. I want to travel, I have a few things planned out already.

Job wise, I have a job right now that I am happy with and a "promotion" waiting for when I turn 17.

I know what you and the others are trying to tell me. It's the same thing everyone tells me.
I guess im looking for someone to tell me that it's possible in this age to really live freely.

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 21:10 Quote
You need money to be self employed. How you going to buy the tools and stuff. Stick the few years left of high school. And most people want a licensed person able to do that you need to go to college and able to get in college you need a c+ average in grade 12 and a diploma. And school gets better as the years go on. I know people who have dropped out and they had the same attitude as you and they regret it. I know people who are in the trades too and they all had to get a high school diploma

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 21:13 Quote
can I ask what doors you are opening?

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 21:15 Quote
The idea of striking out and playing music and seeing the world is all fine and good, but it won't last a lifetime. By the time you hit 35, you've been a rover for the past 20 years, you have no place to call home, your family and friends have come to terms with the fact that you're never there so they've just moved on. When you do see your "friends" its awkward and eventually everyone just disappears. The people that you do make friends with are temporary at best and those relationships don't mean much because you know that one of you is going to be moving on shortly.

How do I know this? I've worked with many a tradesmen who have spent a lifetime moving around. By the time they're in their mid-30s, the novelty of moving around is down the toilet. By the time they're 40+, they've squandered most of their dollars on drugs and alcohol to cope with the depression of the isolation. In turn, they have no money to retire on. So they have to force their weathered bodies up every morning until they die. Then they typically end up dying an alcoholics death, the worst part is too many of them have travelled so much that no one who matters knows where they ended up.

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 21:16 Quote
Your only in grade 10? And are already giving up? Suck it up, you may think your not good at any school work, but thats because you don't try, don't deny it either. Your into your music, you want to travel with it correct? Explain to me how you plan to travel with your music when you'll just barely have enough money to live off of? Christ kid. Is making 7.50 an hour enough to have a even small house? If you get a loan, you really think you'll be able to pay it off?

Think before your actions, all I gotta say, at least go through high school, its not even that bad, even if you just took applied classes, its better than nothing.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008233
Mobile Version of Website