Another XC tire Question....

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Another XC tire Question....
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 2, 2010 at 0:59 Quote
So I was thinking about changing my tires to something a bit lighter... My current Nevegals are 30TPI and feel REALLY heavy - from the bargain bin at the bike shop...

Was thinking about Crossmarks but not sure if I should put in a wider front or a different front/rear tire combo... Suggestions please? Thanks!

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 at 3:18 Quote
I run a Panaracer fire XC 2.1 in the rear then a 2.35 Intense tire in the front. It works great for most conditions

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 at 4:22 Quote
Thanks! Only thing is its pretty hard to get Intense tires here where i live... do you have any alternatives?

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 at 18:58 Quote
I got mine off Jensonusa.com, you could also go with the Nevegal up front. In Japan it's really rooty, rocky and not smooth so I like a bigger tire up front to help eat that up, even if it does add some extra weight.

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 at 20:25 Quote
What tires are available where you live?
A good place to start is to see what your local bike shop is selling, what are most of the local riders using?

One popular all-round combo is Continental Mountain King front, Speed King rear. The Supersonic versions are very light, the MK SS 2.2 is around 500g.

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 at 4:58 Quote
what kind of dirt do you have? Over here we have loose-over-hard mainly, so crossmarks are good for that.

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 5:18 Quote
I live in Malaysia. The kind of tires usually available here are Maxxis and Kenda (Nevegals mostly) and sometimes if I'm lucky, I might come across some Panaracers... The dirt around here is mostly hardpack or sandy but with LOTS of wet roots (tropical rainforest)... So a Kenda front and Crossmark rear?

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 6:01 Quote
If you've got the money go for it. If it dont feel right swap them around and mix and match i guess.

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 13:06 Quote
For wet roots, Kenda stickee rubber works very well.
Most people find Nevegals slow, especially on hardpack, so if you can get Kenda Blue Groove, they roll better than Nevs on hardpack, while being as good or better on wet roots (flatter tread knobs with more surface area).

Crossmarks are not exactly known for wet-root performance, but you might be ok using one on the rear.

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 13:10 Quote
I'd say don't go for the Crossmark unless you are gonna be using it as a rear, look into the Larsen for a rear, but if I were to recommend, get 2.2 Specialized Fast Traks, they are excellent in hardpack, super fast for their size and tread pattern and amazing grip. I was using them on damp dirt the other day and they let me lean in at least 60 degrees. Maybe 70 but you get the point, and that was on flat, not even banked.

Posted: Mar 5, 2010 at 5:02 Quote
thanks so much for the advice guys!!! I guess I'll go with the Kenda Blue Grooves since the price is pretty reasonable... then I'll just see how they perform out on the trails! Salute

FL
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 at 5:24 Quote
if you want a gripper but still pretty fast rolling combo go for a single ply maxxis hig roller 2.35 in the front and a 2.1 high roller or crossmark

Posted: Mar 5, 2010 at 5:50 Quote
try maxxis ardents, maybe 2.25 front and crossmark 2.1 rear

Posted: Mar 5, 2010 at 5:53 Quote
I run on Kenda Small Block 8's pretty good as a summer tyre,sand and wet roots, low rolling resistance and confident for cornering

Posted: Mar 5, 2010 at 5:57 Quote
Fast Trak 2.2, light weight grippy and fast. Nevegal is sloow and 2.4 Ardent? Thats AM and most Maxxis tires are overweight.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010729
Mobile Version of Website