Fox 40 vs. Marzochi 888 RC3 WC

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Fox 40 vs. Marzochi 888 RC3 WC
Posted: Nov 10, 2012 at 5:04 Quote
God Z-Man.

Don't you know a little bit of flex in the fork is a good thing? The new (2010 and later) Boxxer's come with 35 mm stanchions for a reason. The engineers at ROck Shox said if they made them thicker they would be too stiff (Fox and Marzocchi compensate that by using thinner tubing for the forks lowers and stanchions). Because of that flexiness the front wheel tracks better over the rough stuff and in corners.

If you havent bought a fork yet i currently ride a 2012 marzocchi 888 rc3 evo v2 (not the TI) and its amazing. I tried the 2011 40's and the 2011 boxxer r2c2's and i liked the zocchis best. I cant really explain why the just worked better for my but the only way to tell which fork is best for you is to try them.

On the maintenance side the 40's and Boxxers need frequent oil and seal changes (recommended every 20 hours of riding!) wheter i only service my 888 only once a year and its still like new!

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 10, 2012 at 10:12 Quote
Kona-Rider1 wrote:
God Z-Man.

Don't you know a little bit of flex in the fork is a good thing? The new (2010 and later) Boxxer's come with 35 mm stanchions for a reason. The engineers at ROck Shox said if they made them thicker they would be too stiff (Fox and Marzocchi compensate that by using thinner tubing for the forks lowers and stanchions). Because of that flexiness the front wheel tracks better over the rough stuff and in corners.

If you havent bought a fork yet i currently ride a 2012 marzocchi 888 rc3 evo v2 (not the TI) and its amazing. I tried the 2011 40's and the 2011 boxxer r2c2's and i liked the zocchis best. I cant really explain why the just worked better for my but the only way to tell which fork is best for you is to try them.

On the maintenance side the 40's and Boxxers need frequent oil and seal changes (recommended every 20 hours of riding!) wheter i only service my 888 only once a year and its still like new!

God Kona rider!

They came with 35mm stanchions cause the 32s were wayyy to flexy. Sure a bit of flex is good, but you dont want a noodle. When it comes to flex in a fork its all preference, and riding style. The 40 is awesome through tech stuff, with supper accurate handling, the front wheel goes where you tell it to, not matter what. Sure, it leads to a bit more torsional feed back to the rider, but i can handle it. I personally think 888s are the worst choice available. I hate fully open designs that use the same oil to lubricate and dampen. Oil gets dirts, especially when exposed to a moving spring system. Dirty oil doesn't like to flow through shims and ports very consistently. Not to mention the problem of the oil becoming aerated and its viscosity changing. Nothing you'll feel in a parking lot but on the trail its very inconsistent. And thats basically the reason that most marz sponsored riders tried to get away with running fox's FIT damper in their race bikes, till Marz caught wind and flipped shit for obvious reasons. The average weekend warrior may not notice the performance loss, or he may not even push the fork hard enough to have the oil emulsify. So the long maintenance intervals of the 888 may be all worth it to him. It's all preference, riding style and skill level.
It's almost impossible to say that one fork is the be all end all of suspended DH forks.

Posted: Nov 11, 2012 at 5:04 Quote
Obviously you know more about suspension then all the engenieers at rockshox fox and marzocchi together...

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 6:48 Quote
Obviously you didnt read what i stated, or just have the worst comprehension abilities around.

Facepalm

Posted: May 31, 2017 at 19:13 Quote
New 380 Tit is bettr than 40 factory

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015955
Mobile Version of Website