How tight are your chains?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
How tight are your chains?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 14:31 Quote
If there is already a thread on this, just post a link to it. If not, I would really appreciate some help with my chain tension. HOW TIGHT????? If I run it at what I think is good, then it slaps my frame, making it sound cheap and scratching it real bad. I don't know if I should go tighter, because I don't want it to ruin my chain or cog. Any help would be very helpful... THANKS Smile

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 14:35 Quote
As tight as you can make it, and still be able to give your crank a spin and it be able to spin around maybe 1 and a half times. You should be able to wiggle the chain up and down a combined distance of a half inch or so.

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 14:36 Quote
In answer to your question, tight enough!

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 16:55 Quote
slammed, pedal it on, run as much pressure in the tire as possible to prevent flats.
never lost bearings in a cassette, but if you got a free coaster don't do what i said.

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 17:11 Quote
Buy a chain tensioner or you might need 2 but then get it so it barely sags you only ruin your bearings in the rear sprocket if you crank the tensioners REALLY hard play around with it if its too tight it wont pedal right to loose and it could slip and you could do a faceplant

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 17:47 Quote
I run mine as loose as possible without it having enough movement to slap the chainstay.

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 18:05 Quote
i used to run 25 9 then i got a new rim and went to 25 10 and now the chain is perfect and its slammmed its so nice i love it and you can move it if you can do how i have mine you will love it

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 18:16 Quote
Thanks for all the help. And my frame has integrated tensioners, so i guess i will just tighten those guys down until i cant turn them any more. Is that right? Just dont jack em up too much?

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 18:19 Quote
sjv13 wrote:
Thanks for all the help. And my frame has integrated tensioners, so i guess i will just tighten those guys down until i cant turn them any more. Is that right? Just dont jack em up too much?
just have it so it dosent slap have it so you can only push it liek half a inch

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 18:21 Quote
If you do that, your going to create serious binding. You need some play. just not to much. Experiment. It's really not that big a deal, as long as it isn't binding, or slipping off. You really don't need to pay to much thought to this.

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 18:24 Quote
Ok, thanks for clarifying Smile

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 18:30 Quote
I go mid man, I used to ride a super tight chain and I liked it but its so much easier to pedal with a chain thats not tight but doesent sag.

Does that make sense?

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 18:32 Quote
It's basically all about feel, you just need to mess around.

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 7:15 Quote
mine just barly sags down

Beer

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 20:02 Quote
gilfrisco wrote:
mine just barly sags down

Beer
thats what she said

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010769
Mobile Version of Website