The Uk or America

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The Uk or America
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 4:10 Quote
where is it cheaper to buy a dh bike. i live in the uk but im goin to america for a couple of months next year

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 4:14 Quote
Google? some stuff is cheaper, some things are not you will have to find these things out your self.
& you also have to take into account the possibility of extra charges taking it on airlines ect.
you will add up if its really worth it, along with warranty issues it it goes wrong.

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 4:15 Quote
america by far, just check prices on american websites and british websites

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 4:18 Quote
thanks for the help i shall check it all out now

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 5:44 Quote
I think eveyone has forgotten about import duty!

When you buy a product from the USA, you will have to pay import duty (tax) on the product and that can cost a lot of $$$.

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 5:44 Quote
JamesDavid wrote:
america by far, just check prices on american websites and british websites

Nice but if you import it from the states you gotta pay import tax,and to be honest if your buying a high end bike your stuffed as warranty goes,me personally i would buy a bike here unless it was a cheapo.

Edit: ah will got it.

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 5:57 Quote
There is a way around the tax...

When you go hire a bike box from your LBS,
Put a old crappy bike which is to be binned in the bike box,
Fly,
Ditch the old bike,
Go buy the bike, get the dealer to write on the reciept "demo" or "secondhand",
Put it in the bike box,
Fly.

This way the airport won't give a damm as it's a prebooked piece of cargo, and if you are caught out it will be labeled as a demo/test bike or secondhand/used and I think you don't pay import duty on a second hand product.

I base this info on when I used to buy Guitars from the states..

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 5:58 Quote
^^^ Similar but different,buy the bike and get them to ship it out to you after your holiday/trip,but when they send it ask them to mark it up as a gift,but you will still have no warranty.

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 6:00 Quote
marquis wrote:
^^^ Similar but different,buy the bike and get them to ship it out to you after your holiday/trip,but when they send it ask them to mark it up as a gift,but you will still have no warranty.

Yeah, that's actually the best way! Forgot about that...

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 6:01 Quote
willshiels wrote:
marquis wrote:

lol I'm useful sometimes.

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 6:04 Quote
marquis wrote:
willshiels wrote:
marquis wrote:

lol I'm useful sometimes.

Yeah, I don't know why I overcomplicate everything... Mind you Modern Warefare 2 online until 3am has alot to answer for... Confused

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 6:04 Quote
this sounds like it might work. thanks guys
btw if i could get my bike to the back to where i buy it from, after ive taken it to the uk would the warrenty still hold.
my uncle make reguler shipments to america

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 6:05 Quote
In my experience marking items a 'gift' doesn't always work. willshiels idea is a good one. I've heard of people doing this, but they usually spray the crappy bike the same colour as the bike they're buying. Not sure why or if necessary, maybe to match descriptions, not sure though.

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 6:29 Quote
danny777 wrote:
this sounds like it might work. thanks guys
btw if i could get my bike to the back to where i buy it from, after ive taken it to the uk would the warrenty still hold.
my uncle make reguler shipments to america

I would think so on the warranty front,and bummer on the gift thing then.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008606
Mobile Version of Website