Official Squamish Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Squamish Thread
Posted: Apr 24, 2023 at 8:43 Quote
bags1 wrote:
Almost, you will have to go to the oversized check in, and they might charge you $50 for the bike, but, if you do self check in and head over to the oversized baggage drop yourself, well then… Try that first and see what happens. Remember to give yourself lots af time at the airport, and check your bags early, that way there is a better chance everything will make the flight!
Great. Thanks for the advice

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2023 at 16:50 Quote
Wheresthebikes wrote:
I booked my trip in September to squamish. Flying with Air Canada out there and West jest home. West jet states bike bags are fine but air canada says you have to travel with your bike in a hard shell case. Does anyone have experience flying with Air Canada using a bike bag?...or at least attempting to?

I used them over Christmas time taking my bike to and from Aus. Soft bike bag was fine.

Posted: Apr 25, 2023 at 17:02 Quote
Deanobruce wrote:
Wheresthebikes wrote:
I booked my trip in September to squamish. Flying with Air Canada out there and West jest home. West jet states bike bags are fine but air canada says you have to travel with your bike in a hard shell case. Does anyone have experience flying with Air Canada using a bike bag?...or at least attempting to?

I used them over Christmas time taking my bike to and from Aus. Soft bike bag was fine.

Awesome. Thanks!

Posted: May 30, 2023 at 3:14 Quote
Hi, I'm a British rider coming to Squamish for the first time from 3rd to 15th June. Looking for partners to ride some cool trails. Nothing mad techy just social blues and reds (to start anyway). I'll have my bike (flying BA from Manchester via Heathrow if there's any advice for that). Probably staying in the car at Walmart? or else at the Provincial campsite. Would be cool to meet up and ride with some locals, if you're going out on those dates drop me a message. I'm also hoping to do some climbing if the weather is good.

O+
Posted: May 30, 2023 at 13:09 Quote
Tomp666 wrote:
Hi, I'm a British rider coming to Squamish for the first time from 3rd to 15th June. Looking for partners to ride some cool trails. Nothing mad techy just social blues and reds (to start anyway). I'll have my bike (flying BA from Manchester via Heathrow if there's any advice for that). Probably staying in the car at Walmart? or else at the Provincial campsite. Would be cool to meet up and ride with some locals, if you're going out on those dates drop me a message. I'm also hoping to do some climbing if the weather is good.

Just a heads up, "red" out here means a double black diamond trail, so if you're looking for not mad techy then I would stay away from those. Here easy is green, then blue, black, then double black (shows up red on trailforks). The provincial park can be pretty busy, though not as bad in June, so might be good to look ahead to book if you want to go that way! Have a fun trip!!

O+
Posted: May 31, 2023 at 7:38 Quote
You could also look up Mountain Fun Basecamp, there is a bike rental shop on site there and you can ride right to the trails from the camp. The shop is Dialed in Cycling, they rent bikes and organize rides.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2023 at 12:39 Quote
Hey everyone, longshot request here, but gotta hope. I came up to Squamish this week to ride (dream vacation, been loving the trails!). I was riding over at Alice Lake & Highlands on Entrails and took a couple spills on the last slab feature before the halfway intersection where you get to Room With a View. I think I lost my watch on that feature. It's a 'Copper and Graphite' Suunto 7 (burnt orange and grey). If anyone happens to come across it could you please send me a message?

Thanks all!
Have a great rest of the season.
Dave

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2023 at 14:09 Quote
I think I saw someone post about finding a watch on the Squamish MTB Facebook page.

Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 6:34 Quote
Hi folk!
In August ill be making the trek over to Canada for the first time, and have a day of riding planned in Squamish on the 16th.
I am a fairly strong rider (albeit UK terrain), but I am recovering from a collarbone break, though will be healed fully by the time I'm in Canada. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me get a taste for all of Squamish's offerings (flow, tech and some intermediate rock slabs) as I will be going in blind.
Side note, if there are any planned routes that give a good days worth of riding am also curious to see.
Any must hit trails? Thanks a lot!

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 11:59 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
I think I saw someone post about finding a watch on the Squamish MTB Facebook page.

Hey! Thanks for the tip! I checked out a couple Squamish groups on Facebook but didn’t see anything. Is ‘Squamish MTB’ the name of the page/group?

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 12:08 Quote
Vagabrown wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

Hey! Thanks for the tip! I checked out a couple Squamish groups on Facebook but didn’t see anything. Is ‘Squamish MTB’ the name of the page/group?
The group is called Bike Squamish. Someone named Karly Michelle posted about the watch. I commented this thread and your username on her FB post, hopefully you can get in touch.

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 14:00 Quote
BenDoesMTB wrote:
Hi folk!
In August ill be making the trek over to Canada for the first time, and have a day of riding planned in Squamish on the 16th.
I am a fairly strong rider (albeit UK terrain), but I am recovering from a collarbone break, though will be healed fully by the time I'm in Canada. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me get a taste for all of Squamish's offerings (flow, tech and some intermediate rock slabs) as I will be going in blind.
Side note, if there are any planned routes that give a good days worth of riding am also curious to see.
Last summer, on the recommendation of folks here, I did:

- Park at Alice Lake
- Up 50 shades of green
- Leave of Absence
- Rupert
- Entrails -> Boney Elbows
- Pamplemousse back to the lot.

And also using Mashiter/Tracks from Hell/Of Mice an Men as climbing trails throughout.

That was one of the best rides of my life despite getting the full "Squamish Experience" aka pouring rain. No issues on the slabs but the wood on Entrails was a little sketchy for my dryland-conditioned braking habits.

I believe that was ~4 hours of riding, with rain and scoping lines slowing things down. You would not have a problem extending that to whatever you've got time and energy for. I'm sure some locals can tack on to my list or suggest alternatives.

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 15:16 Quote
bocomtb wrote:
BenDoesMTB wrote:
Hi folk!

- Park at Alice Lake
- Up 50 shades of green
- Leave of Absence
- Rupert

And also using Mashiter/Tracks from Hell/Of Mice an Men as climbing trails throughout.

That was one of the best rides of my life despite getting the full "Squamish Experience" aka pouring rain. No issues on the slabs but the wood on Entrails was a little sketchy for my dryland-conditioned braking habits.

I believe that was ~4 hours of riding, with rain and scoping lines slowing things down. You would not have a problem extending that to whatever you've got time and energy for. I'm sure some locals can tack on to my list or suggest alternatives.

Definitely a good list. After boney elbows hit in-n-out, gouranga, or highway to hell. Highway to hell will be the easiest of all these but still have some good slabs and is super fun, probably a good way to finish a first squamish lap. It's a fairly quick pedal back up to do in-n-out burger after doing highway to hell. I would also possibly skip leave of absence unless you feel like you want something on the easier side... Rupert is an easier single black so it's a good warmup depending on your skill level of course.

If you want flow, there are trails further up (slippery salmon, miki's magic, etc) that have some tables and big berms. Head over to the Diamond head area and ride half nelson and full nelson for some more good flow. Some other super fun tech trails up here too, worth riding but if you have one day in Squamish then you'll probably want to ride the slabs.

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 15:51 Quote
scotteh wrote:
Vagabrown wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

The group is called Bike Squamish. Someone named Karly Michelle posted about the watch. I commented this thread and your username on her FB post, hopefully you can get in touch.

Thank you so much!

Posted: Jul 18, 2023 at 0:53 Quote
bocomtb wrote:
BenDoesMTB wrote:
Hi folk!

- Park at Alice Lake
- Up 50 shades of green
- Leave of Absence
- Rupert

Thanks a ton for this, saving me lots of research! Will def start to build a good list

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033413
Mobile Version of Website