Kelso Biking - Chair Lifts

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Kelso Biking - Chair Lifts
Posted: Sep 16, 2010 at 20:08 Quote
Best of luck with this project.

I've been down this road with Kelso back in 2002, everything that has been said about liability is right, nothing has changed since then. I truly wish you the best of luck making this happen. On a plus side I used to hate riding in there, you guys have really stepped up the trails, good job, I now enjoy it.

Posted: Sep 17, 2010 at 5:25 Quote
CurtisW wrote:
Best of luck with this project.

I've been down this road with Kelso back in 2002, everything that has been said about liability is right, nothing has changed since then. I truly wish you the best of luck making this happen. On a plus side I used to hate riding in there, you guys have really stepped up the trails, good job, I now enjoy it.

Yah liability is a huge issue when the hill is owned by a conservation area. If it was private, it'd be a whole different ball game.

Posted: Sep 18, 2010 at 20:59 Quote
any one have an idea if there gunna run the lifts for a weekend like last year ?

Posted: Sep 19, 2010 at 5:00 Quote
konakid7 wrote:
any one have an idea if there gunna run the lifts for a weekend like last year ?

They ran it twice this past season, both for O-Cup DH races. Keep checking this thread I'm sure if it happens you'll here about it here first.

Posted: Sep 19, 2010 at 9:19 Quote
CurtisW wrote:
konakid7 wrote:

They ran it twice this past season, both for O-Cup DH races. Keep checking this thread I'm sure if it happens you'll here about it here first.

i know they ran them for o-cups i raced the ontario cup., but last year apart from o cups there was a weekend they ran the lifts

FL
Posted: Sep 19, 2010 at 9:34 Quote
yeah i think they do the thankgiving weekend. They run the lift for biking and hikers.

Posted: Sep 19, 2010 at 10:14 Quote
konakid7 wrote:
CurtisW wrote:
konakid7 wrote:

i know they ran them for o-cups i raced the ontario cup., but last year apart from o cups there was a weekend they ran the lifts

Cool, I did not know they ran the lift for anything other then O-Cups, baby steps toward full on lift acess riding. Thanks for bringing this question up.

What class did you race? I'll be giving it a go next season myself. I'm not that fast tho.

Posted: Sep 19, 2010 at 10:28 Quote
the lifts will be open october 9-11, and 16-17 from 9:00am-5pm im not too sure how much it will cost though.

Posted: Sep 19, 2010 at 10:32 Quote
jo-biking wrote:
jpv2008 wrote:
jo-biking wrote:

ahaha. First of all. Kelso is owned by conservation halton. which is owned by the goverment. And second of all. Not happening.
That's the kind of attitude that makes things not happen. The kelso ski hill area is privately owned. The owner contacted Mike Samson of twisted sticker (www.twistedsticker.com) to inquire about someone to build these trails. Mike then forwarded my friend's dads name as we had recently redone some local dirtjumps. The owner is now planning a meeting to look into what can be done.

Dude. Ive worked there for 5 years.
http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/

Government runs conservations areas.

And dont say thats the attitude that makes things not happen. What makes things not happen is the ridiculously small mountain bike budget we work with, the enormous liability issues that come with a bike park, and the million other things that kelso is just not ready for. Maybe one day years and years from now we can see something coming together that resembles a bike park.
I spoke with the mountain bike coordinator the other day for awhile about the trail network. He cant even build a 4 foot drop without is being a liability.
And then you need to look at the cost for running lifts, and the inability to do maintenance on them for winter, if its being used all summer.

So many issues with having a bike park.
And one thing i can guarantee. None of them have to do with my attitude.

hey jo-biking what do you do out at kelso?

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 13:16 Quote
CurtisW wrote:
konakid7 wrote:
CurtisW wrote:

Cool, I did not know they ran the lift for anything other then O-Cups, baby steps toward full on lift acess riding. Thanks for bringing this question up.

What class did you race? I'll be giving it a go next season myself. I'm not that fast tho.
aha im not that fast either, i raced cadet this year and will be next year too its the 15-16 age group.

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 16:25 Quote
konakid7 wrote:
CurtisW wrote:
konakid7 wrote:

aha im not that fast either, i raced cadet this year and will be next year too its the 15-16 age group.

Well you've got lost of time to grow and get faster, me I'm over 40 and can only get slower. Good luck next year. If ya want to be faster next year spend most of your training time doing 60-90 sec sprints and when ever you can get up to Joyride and play on the pump track.

Sorry for the mini high jack.

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 at 16:37 Quote
okay thanks for the tips man. im going to take spinning classes to improve my speed on the flats. if i do well in school im going to whistler for the whole summer so i may not race every event. but if not ill try and do as strong as i can. oh i would be at joyride all the time if i had my own bike for it but i only have my flatline. but me and my friends built a pump track so im always out training on that.

Posted: Sep 21, 2010 at 13:42 Quote
were is this ? how close to ottawa>

Posted: Sep 21, 2010 at 13:47 Quote
norcomat wrote:
were is this ? how close to ottawa>
its just out side of oakville ontario if ur up for the trek..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013374
Mobile Version of Website