MAVIC EX 823's OR EX 721's?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
MAVIC EX 823's OR EX 721's?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 16:49 Quote
hey guys, currently choosing parts to build up my 2010 supreme dh, almost done but need your opinions on wether to go for either 823's or 721's??? i wont be running tubless but just need to know if the extra strength of the 823's is worth it? or worth the extra wieght and cost?

cheers in advance guys.

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 17:26 Quote
I have 823's laced to king's, with ti spokes. They are bombproof. Seriously. Outlast my bike bombproof. Plenty stiff too.

That being said, if you're not running tubeless, save yourself the weight and associated suffering and get the 721's. Almost as strong, and lighter. Cheaper too, and IIRC they dont have the nipple thing on the rim (the thing you need to screw the nipples into because the second rim wall isnt drilled).

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 17:50 Quote
avoid the 823 unless you want to go tubeless. the extra weight and hassle of the eyelets are not worth it to me.

Posted: Apr 7, 2010 at 13:42 Quote
if your not building the wheels yourself then dont let the hassle of the nipples bother you, let it bother the techy thats building them!!!!

ive never used 823s, but i know a 721 doesnt last me long, they stay round for me, but they flat spot too easy. the real problem is that they crack when they flat spot so you cant bend out the flat spot. when you get a few flat spots together on the rim the tyre rolls of the rim really easy, then your lookin at a new rim.

Look at DT rims. the metal in them is real soft, so they still flatspot really easy, but they dont crack when you bend the flat spot back.

personally ill be goin with a 729 rim on the rear next time i need to replace a rim, uber-strong, and for some reason, possibly the profile the wider rim gives the tyre, they dont flat spot as bad as a 721.

Posted: Apr 7, 2010 at 13:48 Quote
schwimble wrote:
if your not building the wheels yourself then dont let the hassle of the nipples bother you, let it bother the techy thats building them!!!!

ive never used 823s, but i know a 721 doesnt last me long, they stay round for me, but they flat spot too easy. the real problem is that they crack when they flat spot so you cant bend out the flat spot. when you get a few flat spots together on the rim the tyre rolls of the rim really easy, then your lookin at a new rim.

Look at DT rims. the metal in them is real soft, so they still flatspot really easy, but they dont crack when you bend the flat spot back.

personally ill be goin with a 729 rim on the rear next time i need to replace a rim, uber-strong, and for some reason, possibly the profile the wider rim gives the tyre, they dont flat spot as bad as a 721.

yeah i was thinking about a 729, dont no if youv considered it yet or not.

i run them and seem to do pretty well.

for the weight and price they are inbetween the 823 and 721.

Posted: Apr 7, 2010 at 14:09 Quote
both rims are EX's

the 823's are wider by 2mm

the 823's are higher grade rims

the 823's are ust

so the 823 is a better speced wheel, but more expensive

Posted: Apr 7, 2010 at 14:14 Quote
But also, this has been disscussed about 4567532354354564354345 times before. try the search bar.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008220
Mobile Version of Website