Specialized demo 9 rear shock help

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Specialized demo 9 rear shock help
Posted: Oct 22, 2010 at 7:36 Quote
I prefer the feel of coil springs to be honest,you could get a vivid and the then get the high speed compression fitted at push industries,i just don't know of they do the air vivid.

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 at 7:54 Quote
gibson243 wrote:
I have a DHX 5.0 on my Demo 9. On the higher BB setting you have to flip the the shock upside down and on the lower setting you put the shock up right.

I have to try this and flip the shock upside down! do you feel a big difference in handling?

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 at 7:57 Quote
marquis wrote:
I prefer the feel of coil springs to be honest,you could get a vivid and the then get the high speed compression fitted at push industries,i just don't know of they do the air vivid.

I think I will get a air shock, I dont have so much money to buy a coil with ti spring and get it tuned..
why is the high speed compression so important? sorry for all my questions, I not riding that long and I am still getting in to all this technical stuff Wink
what do you think about the totem?
do you have other suggestions for me to make the bike lighter and more nimble?
thanks for your help!

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 at 8:06 Quote
SwissTrail wrote:
gibson243 wrote:
I have a DHX 5.0 on my Demo 9. On the higher BB setting you have to flip the the shock upside down and on the lower setting you put the shock up right.

I have to try this and flip the shock upside down! do you feel a big difference in handling?

I haven't done it. I prefer the lower setting.

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 at 9:31 Quote
SwissTrail wrote:
marquis wrote:

I think I will get a air shock, I dont have so much money to buy a coil with ti spring and get it tuned..
why is the high speed compression so important? sorry for all my questions, I not riding that long and I am still getting in to all this technical stuff Wink
thanks for your help!

High speed compression controls the shock from big impacts i,e drops and the like,no high speed compression and you will just blow through the travel,totem is a good fork with high and low speed compression,the demo 9 is not a nimble bike as the wheel base is to long.

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 at 11:28 Quote
marquis wrote:
SwissTrail wrote:
marquis wrote:

thanks for your help!

High speed compression controls the shock from big impacts i,e drops and the like,no high speed compression and you will just blow through the travel,totem is a good fork with high and low speed compression,the demo 9 is not a nimble bike as the wheel base is to long.

Thank you for your help!
I know that the demo9 is not a super nimble bike, I just want it to be a bit more nimble than it is right now.
Here's the situation, I'm riding more and more flow trails with jumps et cetera and freeride stuff than downhill courses so I just wonder if it is possible to make the bike a bit more nimble when I change the suspension setup? and do you think it makes sense to use a headangle reducing kit?
Due I'm quite new to these technical things I'm a bit helpless and would be really thankful if you could help me out with some recommendations!
thanks!

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 at 11:38 Quote
Lighter parts/suspension components will help make it feel less of a slog for sure,head angle reducer kit.?

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 at 12:00 Quote
marquis wrote:
Lighter parts/suspension components will help make it feel less of a slog for sure,head angle reducer kit.?

I mean something like this
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/cane-creek-angleset-eurobike-2010.html

or

http://www.workscomponents.bigcartel.com/product/works-components-1-5-degree-head-angle-reducer-cups

you think a steeper headangle would help? In my opinion this should make it more nimble, right? I know that it won't be a dh setup, but I dont ride these super gnarly dh tracks,so it should be ok..

yeah but lighter suspension,means air rear shock? or am I wrong?
Im trying to use light parts,such as hope pro 2 hubs,saint cranks but I think thats it, I dont see where to save some more weigth?
I think I will use a totem also,these are my plans, I hope I can customize my rig to what I like Smile

Posted: Oct 23, 2010 at 3:47 Quote
Problem with running a lower stack head set is that the fork crown might not clear the down tube as you turn.

Posted: Oct 24, 2010 at 15:12 Quote
if you put the shock into the high position (the one where the shock needs to be upside down) it makes the head angle alot steeper so if you did this and used a totem it would be very steep so in my opinion you wont need to bother getting an angle headset
photo
thats a photo of when i had my shock in the high position so it can give you an idea of how steep it would be if you used a totem up front (steeper than this)

Posted: Oct 25, 2010 at 1:58 Quote
elcripple wrote:
if you put the shock into the high position (the one where the shock needs to be upside down) it makes the head angle alot steeper so if you did this and used a totem it would be very steep so in my opinion you wont need to bother getting an angle headset
photo
thats a photo of when i had my shock in the high position so it can give you an idea of how steep it would be if you used a totem up front (steeper than this)

Totem and boxxer run the same axle to crown height so the head angle would be the same.

Posted: Oct 25, 2010 at 9:38 Quote
yes I know that the boxxer and totem have the same axle to crown height, thats why I'm thinking about it!
I have another question: is it possible to use a shorter shock to have less rear travel?

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 1:45 Quote
SwissTrail wrote:
yes I know that the boxxer and totem have the same axle to crown height, thats why I'm thinking about it!
I have another question: is it possible to use a shorter shock to have less rear travel?

you could but you would end up slackening the head angle even more and lowering the bb height.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 1:58 Quote
marquis wrote:
SwissTrail wrote:

you could but you would end up slackening the head angle even more and lowering the bb height.

Unless you make yourself a triangular link like found on the SX Enduro or SX trail.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 2:00 Quote
willshiels wrote:
marquis wrote:
SwissTrail wrote:

Unless you make yourself a triangular link like found on the SX Enduro or SX trail.

To be honest i think he is trying to make his demo 9 an sx trail/enduro,i would just buy what he needs to get it ridable and save for a new frame.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.036471
Mobile Version of Website