Transition TR250 or Transition TR450

PB Forum :: Downhill
Transition TR250 or Transition TR450
FL
Posted: May 8, 2011 at 14:01 Quote
get the tr450, I don't see the point in getting a tr250. they pretty much weigh the same and at the end of the day you really can do everything on a 450 and you can on a 250 but its not the same the other way around really. Or think of it this way. if you get a 450 and you think you've made the wrong decision you can always lower your fork, ramp up your shock and steepen the head angle which will shorten the wheel base. then problem sloved. haha. tbh i wouldn't touch any sort of gravity bike with anything between 4 and 8 inchs of travel. chur.

FL
Posted: May 13, 2011 at 10:25 Quote
I have a TR250. Completely different bike than a 450. I've ridden both. The 450 is pure DH bike that plows over everything in it's path. It's super plush, and awesome for pure DH. The 450 is like a Cadillac, while the 250 is like a Porsche.

The 250 fits my riding style so much better. Much livelier and more maneuverable. Better for jump trails. As a 150 pound rider, I have never needed a dual crown fork. The 250 is designed around a 7 inch fork, so I still have DH geometry without a dual crown. My bike weighs 37 pounds stock with a 36 Float. The 450 is definitely heavier.

I've also ridden a Norco Shore. The 250 is better in my opinion. It's slacker, lower, and lighter. If your trails are super rough, and steep the 450 would be a better choice. But, if you like smooth A-line style trails with berms and jumps, the 250 is perfect, and the 450 is overkill.

Honestly, after switching from a demo 7 to a TR250, I am in love with the 250. I don't notice any negative effects of the single pivot vs. FSR. I get much more pop of jump lips than I did on the demo, and can hop around the trail with little effort. The 250 is much shorter so I feel naturally centered on the bike, where on the demo 7 (which had a 40mm longer reach!) I always felt like I needed to lean back to be centered. Both frames were size medium, but the 250 is a much smaller bike. Also, the 250 is a smaller bike than a 450. My medium looks like a small, but feels so good.

One more note: The 250 sucks going uphill. It has very little seatpost adjustment, and you can't run a front derailleur. I can turn up the lowspeed compression on the RC4 to eliminate bob, but when I'm riding uphill I'm basically standing the whole time. If you want a bike that can do it all, get a Blindside.

Posted: May 13, 2011 at 10:32 Quote
I really like the TR250, it has a very clean desing I dont ever try one but maybe i´ll get one i have heard good things about it.

Posted: May 14, 2011 at 12:12 Quote
tetonlarry wrote:
I have a TR250. Completely different bike than a 450. I've ridden both. The 450 is pure DH bike that plows over everything in it's path. It's super plush, and awesome for pure DH. The 450 is like a Cadillac, while the 250 is like a Porsche.

Awesome review, exactly what I was hoping someone would write! Thanks for taking the time! So for someone about 5ft 9" would you say a medium is the right size, I like quite a small bike I can hang off the back?

Thanks!

Posted: May 14, 2011 at 14:57 Quote
on paper the 250 is more of a jumpy bike and not so hardcore dh racing machine , and that the tr450 is more dh less jump but. form what i have heard from people i know that have tried them, is that the tr450 is much more of a jumpy bike then what someone would expect, if you race and do some freeride i would personally say tr450. best thing you can do though is still to find a dealer that has both of them and try them out! everyone has different preferances also if youre coming from a shore you may feel better on a 20, so check the both out .

FL
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 14:57 Quote
I'm 5"9' and the Medium is perfect.

Posted: May 16, 2011 at 1:54 Quote
tetonlarry wrote:
I'm 5"9' and the Medium is perfect.

Cool, thanks for that!! Smile

FL
Posted: May 16, 2011 at 8:49 Quote
whats the msrp $ of the tr450 ?

Posted: May 19, 2011 at 17:22 Quote
tetonlarry wrote:

The 250 fits my riding style so much better. Much livelier and more maneuverable. Better for jump trails. As a 150 pound rider, I have never needed a dual crown fork. The 250 is designed around a 7 inch fork, so I still have DH geometry without a dual crown. My bike weighs 37 pounds stock with a 36 Float. The 450 is definitely heavier.

I've also ridden a Norco Shore. The 250 is better in my opinion. It's slacker, lower, and lighter. If your trails are super rough, and steep the 450 would be a better choice. But, if you like smooth A-line style trails with berms and jumps, the 250 is perfect, and the 450 is overkill.

Honestly, after switching from a demo 7 to a TR250, I am in love with the 250. I don't notice any negative effects of the single pivot vs. FSR. I get much more pop of jump lips than I did on the demo, and can hop around the trail with little effort. The 250 is much shorter so I feel naturally centered on the bike, where on the demo 7 (which had a 40mm longer reach!) I always felt like I needed to lean back to be centered. Both frames were size medium, but the 250 is a much smaller bike. Also, the 250 is a smaller bike than a 450. My medium looks like a small, but feels so good.

One more note: The 250 sucks going uphill. It has very little seatpost adjustment, and you can't run a front derailleur. I can turn up the lowspeed compression on the RC4 to eliminate bob, but when I'm riding uphill I'm basically standing the whole time. If you want a bike that can do it all, get a Blindside.

Sweet. Thanks for the review.

Posted: Jun 11, 2011 at 2:27 Quote
I did it, I bought a tr250
photo
and it's a beautifully built frame. The only issue I'm having is that the rear suspension feels super stiff. I think it's down to the spring rate, it's a 450 x 2.80 spring and I weigh about 175lbs or so, and I think I need to look at perhaps a 350 x 2.80 or 400 x 2.80 spring. What I did find was taking the spring off the shock it was still super stiff so hope it's not a faulty shock or something... Frown

So pleased I got the TR250 though, the adjustability is amazing, was trying out the differing chainstay lengths, head angle and bb height and it really is so versitile. Can't wait to hit the trails! What settings do you guys with TR250s run most of the time, I've opted for middle settings for the first ride to get a feel for it, middle chainstay length, 64.5 head angle and 13.75" bb, 7" travel. Has anyone else noticed that when clamping the rear wheel in place there's very little "metal" for the hub to sit against due to the cut out for the adjustable axle position. I'm running Deemax which have a very thin axle stud (the part of the hub that the axle slides through) and it cuts right into the frame when tightening up. Do you think it's worth popping a thin washer eitherside to prevent frame damage?

FL
Posted: Jun 11, 2011 at 16:40 Quote
Congratulations on the new bike!

I'm only 155lbs and have a 450lb spring on my 250. It doesn't feel stiff to me at all, and I actually bottom out once in a while. I don't think the spring is your issue if the shock is still stiff without the spring in it. You should check air pressure, compression settings, and the bottom out adjuster. I have mine in the middle geo setting and the middle chainstay setting. I don't plan on changing the geo setting, because I like how slack it is and I definitely don't want the bottom bracket any lower than it is now.

When I adjust the chainstay chip, to try to get into the shorter chainstay position, my brake rotor will not turn because the edge is coming into contact with the caliper. What is the trick? Spacers in the bolts that attach the caliper to the frame is the only thing I could think of, but I'm worried I won't have full pad contact.

Posted: Jun 12, 2011 at 2:05 Quote
tetonlarry wrote:
Congratulations on the new bike!

I'm only 155lbs and have a 450lb spring on my 250. It doesn't feel stiff to me at all, and I actually bottom out once in a while. I don't think the spring is your issue if the shock is still stiff without the spring in it. You should check air pressure, compression settings, and the bottom out adjuster. I have mine in the middle geo setting and the middle chainstay setting. I don't plan on changing the geo setting, because I like how slack it is and I definitely don't want the bottom bracket any lower than it is now.

When I adjust the chainstay chip, to try to get into the shorter chainstay position, my brake rotor will not turn because the edge is coming into contact with the caliper. What is the trick? Spacers in the bolts that attach the caliper to the frame is the only thing I could think of, but I'm worried I won't have full pad contact.

Thanks mate, got it sorted, shock was super stiff at first but once mounted and bounced around on the bike it's super plush now... Feels amazing! Yeah, middle settings all the way for me too.

There's supposed to be a 5mm spacer in the pack of parts that comes with the frame that you put under the front of the rear caliper to raise it when in shortest setting. My frame didn't come with one and Transition admitted they sometimes forgot to include them! Smile for more info have a look at the Transition website, go to support and select TR250 and you'll see some info about it. Hope that helps.

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 1:06 Quote
Don't know if anyone can help but I've noticed something with my TR250. I've written on the mechanics forum but to no avail and as some of you have TR250s as well I thought I might be able to make more progress here. Basically as you can see from the pic, my frame is being eaten by my wheel spindle. I've got Deemax and they seem to have a very thin spindle (also attached) and there doesn't appear to be any protection between the frame and the spindle. I actually have to keep tightening the axle as the spindle eats into the frame. It starts creaking when I pedal now. It seems that perhaps there's almost something missing from the frame as there seems to be a recess you can just see around the axle groove that looks as if there might be a washer or something that's supposed to sit there? There's about 2 to 3mm of the spindle that is in contact with the frame, so at the recommended 100in/lbs torque that's a lot of pressure on a tiny area of soft aluminium.

If not, do you think it would be ok to put a 12mm (that's about 3mm thick) between the frame and the hub spindle to prevent this getting worse? This is only 3 rides later, and the creaking is so bad it sounds like it's going to come apart. I've written to Transition on Facebook but so far no reply. Frown Don't want to damage my frame any further.....

Cheers!

Damage to frame from hub spindle
TR250 frame being eaten by my Deemax spindle... not good Guess it s ok to put a 1.5mm thick washer in there to save the frame. Everytime I pedal it creaks and groans as the spindle eats into the frame.... All this after just 3 rides.

Hub spindle, as you can see it's pretty thin compared to most!

Deemax seem to have THE thinest spindle known to man and it s eating my TR250 frame....

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 15:38 Quote
You should have a spacer that makes it so you can change up the wheel base a little and those should stop the rubbing against the frame

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 0:47 Quote
dhracer09 wrote:
You should have a spacer that makes it so you can change up the wheel base a little and those should stop the rubbing against the frame

Yeah, got those and run them in the middle setting at the moment but this is the pressure of the hub against the inside of the frame squeezing the frame between the hub spindle and the "spacer" or chip as Transition call them... It's now about 2.5mm deep so the wheel is actually offset by 2.5mm because of this. I've put a 12mm spacer in there that's 1.6mm thick and will try riding with that and see if it helps... Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019801
Mobile Version of Website